Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What is Tombac (Tombeki)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeStack

I would like to grow some Tombac for my hookah, but I have no idea what seed to use. Is tombac a specific variety? I can't find much information on Tombac despite its widespread use as the base tobacco for making Shisha.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
images

It's an Iranian grown tobacco. There is an Indian alternative called Chadapadia, but I don't know what variety either is.

leverhead

I grew Shiraz last year and it's very nice for making Shisha. By the end of the season the leaves were very thick, approaching 1/32" (0.7mm). When cured, kilned and cut for cigarettes, it wouldn't stay lit in a cigarette. It does work fine as Shisha or bunched up and wrapped like a cigar on the Hookah, plenty of nicotine too. I didn't push it too hard, but it will take allot of heat without burning under the foil. Chatting with Istanbulin, he thinks it's a type of Tombac. I've got some seed if you want some. I grew it the same way I grew the Southern Beauty, 48" X 24", fertilized and topped. The second picture was about a week before I stalk harvested it.
Shiraz 34 Days.jpgShiraz 98 Days b.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I would like to grow some Tombac for my hookah, but I have no idea what seed to use. Is tombac a specific variety? I can't find much information on Tombac despite its widespread use as the base tobacco for making Shisha.

Tombac is available through the French seed bank. ITB.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Shirazi is one of the traditional variety grown for hookah purposes. Tombacs of Iran splits into two grades/types which are Isfahani and Shirazi. Isfahani is most preferred but Shirazi is good enough. BTW, Tombac (Tömbeki) also refers to the style of preparation of the tobacco. A wet cigar like hookah tobacco - which is smoked by putting coal directly onto tobacco (wet cigar) - is also called Tömbeki.

Shirazi is the only variety we have in the forum for hookah purposes so I think it's better to grab some seeds, grow and try.

SmokeStack

Thanks leverhead for your generous offer, but I am putting my order together from SustainableSeedCo and they carry Shirazi so I'll order a pack - save you the postage:). I have a few packs of tombac that FmGrowit has pictured, but I smoke it through a pipe. It comes as dried folded leaves and must be moistened to unravel. I put it in my kiln with a crock pot on but no heat - it becomes more pliable as it absorbs moisture.
I really like smoking through the pipe. Try mixing it with a little Latakia and toasted TN-90 from Whole Leaf Tobacco and you get a nice, simple but full-flavored "Balkan" blend. I know it's odd mix, but give it a try if you want to indulge in something a little different than what's available on the market. I intend on growing ten plants of Shirazi - I will let the forum know how it turns out a year from now.
i did a GRIN search on Isfahan, isfahani, asfahana,etc. but I could not find anything. Knucklehead mentioned something about a French seed bank ITB, but all I could find were a few of their hybrid varieties. Was I looking at the wrong site? Imperial-tobacco-Bergerac.com?

leverhead

....but I am putting my order together from SustainableSeedCo and they carry Shirazi so I'll order a pack - save you the postage:).

I got my seed from them last year. You'll like not having to mess with folded up leaves! I kilned mine for a month at 120 F/ 70% RH and it turned out fine. The Shiraz is a much heavier leaf than either brand of Tombac that I've tried.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Here's another tombac photo, it looks really ripe (even the photo is B&W) and low topped (as usual - 6-10 leaves).

060b17afc8317e403a7ffadcb61b68dd_1369242254.jpg

akhisar45

tombac is using for waterpipe. best tombac tobacco is yayladag from turkey. but ı dont like it because very very strong and nicotine is highly.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
tombac is using for waterpipe. best tombac tobacco is yayladag from turkey. but ı dont like it because very very strong and nicotine is highly.

Hey akhisar! Welcome back! Been a long time since we've seen you're smiling face around here. Come by more often, the Mehmet Efendi is hot off the stove and the mastic lokum is fresh! It's good to see you here.

akhisar45

Hey akhisar! Welcome back! Been a long time since we've seen you're smiling face around here. Come by more often, the Mehmet Efendi is hot off the stove and the mastic lokum is fresh! It's good to see you here.

Thanks for your entry dude :) i dont like delight you can try with mint liquor :) see you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.