Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Fish tank water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Livewithkindness

I am going to have about 8 250 gallon fish tanks and going to be selling discus once I get my 401k out . I'll have around 55 fish pertank and have to change the water daily about 100 gallons each day so would tobacco plants do good with a nitrite watering everyday . Is water tobacco everyday good for the plant ? Has anyone watered plants with old fish tank water ? I'm thing it should be good . Thanks for your time John

Daniel

Banned
watering every day will most likely be to much. I also think that tank water is going to be to much fertilizer if applied every day. I fed my plants each week on Miracle grow for tomatoes per the directions. I do know that things grow very well on the tank water though you will just have to determine for yourself how often to feed. Good luck with the Discus. I bred Scholari for a while. managed to get 600 of them from one brood. No room to keep them so I pretty much gave it up. Are you going to breed or just buy fry and rear them?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
the fish emulsion WILL NOT BURN YOUR PLANTS....

i use fish water when possible,,,, but id suggest getting one of those siphoning tools they make for cleaning a fish tank with,,

that gets all the poop fron the bottom of the rocks,

i mix mine,, 2 parts poop,,,,,the rest regular water,

Livewithkindness

I am going to ordering discus from overseas and reselling them and keeping some from each order for my own breeding hopefully till I get enough breeders till I don't have to Order them any more just sell what I have breed . I have 3 breeding pair now and I'm learning how to artificially raise the young . I use pumps now to change my water and all my tanks are bare bottom to help keep it easy to clean it takes me about 10 mins to do my 55 gallon tanks and less then 5 for my 20 gallons and 30 gallon tanks . Snails help alot keeping the glass clean really all I do is suck out poop and uneaten food and 75% of the water then turn on pump from my water storage tote and fill it up 2 times a week . Oh I just use sponge filters and I clean them every change by sucking the junk off them with the drain hose and 1 time a month I give them a good cleaning in the tank water . Some people think discus are hard to keep they really aren't make sure ph stays constant no swings in it and keep the water changed at least 1 time a week and keep your tank temp at 82 to 86 and that's it .

Daniel

Banned
As for watering. I had my plants in 5 gallon buckets so planted in the ground they would not need watering nearly as often. During the hottest part of the summer 90 degrees or above we usually gave them a gallon or two of water per day. below 90 and they would go a couple of days minimum and sometimes longer. We actually used a moisture probe and watered each plant as it needed. It varied according to size of bucket and the size of the plant. larger plants needed more watering.

As for Discus, I have never thought they where hard to keep. Breeding is another matter and in comparison to other fish. since most people compare to live bearers. yes they are considered difficult. There are a lot of fresh water tropical fish that are more difficult but few as entertaining to breed.

How are you doing on your hatch rate? I ended up with something that looked like a laboratory but was getting very close to 100% hatches and eventually even had most of the fry survive. I am not sure I would even encourage you to try for that one. it produces way to many fish. If you are interested I can PM you the details of how I did it with Scolari. Discus are pretty much the same just a little more shy when it comes to breeding. I could get the Scolari to lay eggs on demand. just dump a quart of acidic water in the 55 gallon tank. they would spawn within hours. Never was able to get oscars to breed, not enough room or I didn't have a true pair. Had blood parrots laying eggs all over the place and one that thought I was it's mate. I love tropical freshwater fish. you can keep the salt water. I just don't have room anymore.
8 250 gallon tanks! I would love to see that.

Livewithkindness

The 250 tanks are not true fish tanks more of growing tanks and holding tanks I used 275 gal water totes cut the top off and bulit a plywood frame around it and insulated around it like crazy so I can use 300 watt heater to keep it warm enough . I use all RO/DI water . To get the fish to spawn all I do is lower the water change water about 4 degrees and I add homemade peat extract tea about 1/4 cup to the breeder tanks . As far as hatch rate It really depends discus lay on what looks like a upside-down ice cream cone if I see them starting their dance and get the air cut off I get over 90% if they bread with the air on most of the eggs do not get fertilized I just pull the cone clean it off wait 3 to 7 days and they are back at it . I have one pair that lays every week . Yea I would like to know what you do to get 100% . Thanks John

Status
Not open for further replies.