Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latakia British Columbia style

Status
Not open for further replies.

burge

I was just reading and thought that may be the secret ingredient when people were trying to make it. So I did some research and found that the peat in Turkey had unusual traits. I think it would be worth it to try. May be the way to get that dark black leaf.

Charly

Bob pointed out that to achieve a "real" latakia, it was necessary to use the same wood as the one they use in Syria or Cyprus.
He managed to replicate using "Mastic tears" ("Tears of Chios").
From what I understand, if the Peat from turkey is made up from the same kind of wood, it could probably impart the same kind of smokey flavors ? They may be possible...
Does anyone have access to peat from Turkey to try ? :)

http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/5016-Making-Latakia-at-Home

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Black is easy. My Blue Ridge Latakia is way blacker than Cyprus Latakia. But it's not the right scent. It's interesting and serves the same role in blending, but the resulting blends just don't evoke memories of English/Balkan blends from years ago. My Latakia did require several years of aging in order to mellow into a soft, inviting aroma.

All this fuss may provoke me to haul out the smoker again (after a 4 year hiatus), and give it another try. I'll need to pack it more efficiently, and with larger leaf, since the process is tedious, and too big a pain in the butt for a tiny batch.

Bob

burge

I love experimenting. I just have a idea and try it 90% of it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.