Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rainmax Grow log 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainmax

Founding Member
The plan is not yet complete, but here's Virginia Bright leaf and Prilep 66-9/7 for sure. Last year I have grown Burley in this place.
This year I drew by hand.

VirginiaPrilep14.jpg

Markw

I like your plan there Maks. I should sit down and get my one sorted out soon. I see that your spacings between the Prilep 66-9/7 is 250mm. will you be using that spacing for all orientals this year.

Mark

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maks,
The layout looks good. I have found over a number of years that with staggered rows, I can reach in past the outside row to easily reach the second row. Because of this, if I arrange staggered rows 4 deep, instead of 2 deep, I can access the two inner rows from either side, allowing a wider foot path between sets of 4 rows.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
25 cm spacing looks good. When I convert traditional row system spacings into staggered row system by using hexagonal grid system I found a similar value.

I tried to calculated the spacings for staggered row system for Prilep, according to given traditional spacing (45x15 cm) in the paper of Dimitrieski and Miceska.

hexagons-small.jpg

To find distance between two plants (between two dots simulated in the image above) ;

1) Calculating area for a single plant by the given traditional spacings : 45.15 = 675 cm[SUP]2[/SUP]

2) If this area belongs to a regular hoxagon what's the length of its single edge (a) ? :

Area of Hexagon

2653f49066e2ebce0e4a5423c3e530e7.png
.....................675 =
2653f49066e2ebce0e4a5423c3e530e7.png

so, a = 16.12 cm (approx.)
(the length of the edge, a = 2x for the image below [in the step 3], so x = 8.06 cm)

3) What's the distance between two plants (2z) in the grid system ?

adsız1.JPG

There's a 30-60-90 triangle (x,y,z) so we can find z from this special triangle,

30-60-90_triangle.jpg

z = x
160a5b4ac79375bd4c5e13c0f3a95f73.png
3 = 13.96 ............. so, 2z = 27.92 cm (say 28 cm) (distance between two plants)

If we write these steps into a single equation, it will be ;

D =(S.T.2 /
160a5b4ac79375bd4c5e13c0f3a95f73.png
)
[SUP]1/2 [/SUP].........

D:
distance between plants ...

S
: traditional spacing between rows ...

T: traditional spacing within rows

If there's anything wrong let me know.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I will speak to the assumptions of your calculation. In a deeply dug garden bed, the between row distance is usually disregarded, since this is assumed to be soil that will be compacted by walking or by machinery, and contributes much less to the soil available for root growth. As a result, only the in row spacing is used for constructing the hexagonal grid, and in determining the square area per plant. This is regularly done with vegetable plantings (when hand cultivated and hand harvested), and is the way that I have determined spacing for my tobacco plants.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I don't think totally like you. Even there was (also still for some regions) no machinery usage in Turkish tobacco growing there're "between row" distances and these distances may vary from region to region in a single country. For "between row" distance, using animals in the past doesn't make sense to me (for Orientals) because people don't use even animals in the tobacco fields (except ploughing in the field preperation stage).

If we recalculate the spacing (for grid system) for Prilep it makes approx. 16 cm spacing, only 1 cm more. Are you planning to plant Prilep with this spacing or with 15 cm spacing ?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
For 2013, I planted Prilep at 1.875 sq. ft. per plant (16 plants into a 5' x 6' bed). I'll be planting at the same spacing for 2014. I'm sure they could do well with closer spacing, but the result was excellent at the current spacing.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
It make approx. 45 cm spacing (all directions) and makes approx. 2.5 times more area than my calculation. So, with this spacing you're not disregarding the " between row " distance but also adding more space. This is your way to grow them, everybody follow his own system that works well in existing conditions, as you said you're satisfied with the results.

My calculation and the formula (formula is basic, just needs two values) is giving an idea to the people who wants to convert traditional system into the modern way.

rainmax

Founding Member
I like your plan there Maks. I should sit down and get my one sorted out soon. I see that your spacings between the Prilep 66-9/7 is 250mm. will you be using that spacing for all orientals this year.

Mark

I'm not sure how many orientals I will be growing this year. By far Prilep is definite.
I want enough tobacco for me to smoke this year. Not so much for seed. So, cigarettes and cigars. Maybe I will try Basma-Krumovgrad 58(same spacing). Perique, Lataquie, Jaka Dzebel, Vuelta Abajo,...I'm thinking of

Maks,
The layout looks good. I have found over a number of years that with staggered rows, I can reach in past the outside row to easily reach the second row. Because of this, if I arrange staggered rows 4 deep, instead of 2 deep, I can access the two inner rows from either side, allowing a wider foot path between sets of 4 rows.
Bob

Last year I have three rows between foot path and I didn't feel comfortable. This year I will try two rows. I know I'm loosing some space or tobacco this way. I can change next year again.

25 cm spacing looks good. When I convert traditional row system spacings into staggered row system by using hexagonal grid system I found a similar value.

I tried to calculated the spacings for staggered row system for Prilep, according to given traditional spacing (45x15 cm) in the paper of Dimitrieski and Miceska.

Dear friend. This is much to high mathematic or even metaphysic for me. I believe that I give enough space to each plant. So, if the wether will be good, soil rested, healthy plants and me with good energy, than god (plant) will do the rest. This plan is optimum. I like your professional approach. Anyway I don't depend on tobacco growing. In the future maybe...until than as simple as possible.

Thanks to all for support and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:

DGBAMA

Last year I have three rows between foot path and I didn't feel comfortable. This year I will try two rows. I know I'm loosing some space or tobacco this way. I can change next year again.

Thanks to all for support and comments.

Maks,

I planted my big varieties in the double staggered row, and would not dream of trying to make it a triple. However, I did plant my oriental/Izmir in a staggered triple row with spacing similar to yours. Reaching the plants in the center was not an issue. I will use the triple row again for just the orientals.

rainmax

Founding Member
Still some plans are missing. This one is for my cigars on full day sun. The only problem in this location is water. Last year it was hot and dry during July and August. I was using tap water a lot. It is very chlorinated in this aria and I have had burning issue with some tobacco. I need to be careful this year and use rain water and mulch.

cigarVrhnikaweb.jpg

Yesterday and today I sowed. I use floating tray with 84 cels. So 14 cells for each strain. I use my small envelope to sow. From one to five seeds and I will keep the strongest in each cell. In second floating tray I have wrappers. It is going to be partial shade. Some trees are getting real high and I can not cut them down. Not in my territory. Two more years and I will loose my garden. I need to find small farm out of the city.

wrappweb.jpg

Couldn't resist and I have planted another 40 strains and I will decide later what to transplant and where. Last year I promised myself that I would not plant so many strains this year. It was really hard to dried all those lives and I live in the city. Unfortunately we always forget bad things. I know I will find place for those homeless plants now, if not I will sell them on flea market when the time comes.
Maybe some container growing?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm growing five varieties next year. That's all. I swear this in the name of the Slovenian space program. (BTW What is the name of the Slovenian space program?)

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm growing five varieties next year. That's all. I swear this in the name of the Slovenian space program. (BTW What is the name of the Slovenian space program?)

I second that. Me too.

Yes, that was the one. Thank you.

Funny how we are connected. It's a small world. Did you noticed that two weeks ago I was less than 500 miles away from you?

madhouse

Looks good Maks,i wish i could plan so well in advance, i always grow too many but hay ho that's what its all about, and the fun of seeing what the strains come out like, just means a little bit more hard work.

Bill

rainmax

Founding Member
This year I have little bigger place for cigar varieties. I get the permit to clean all the flowers from my mothers garden which were in the way last year. Instead of 46 plants I will have space for another 20-30. I have clean the weeds and flowers.

planvrhnikalast.jpg

Brought some three years old cow manure.

planvrhnikaa.jpg

I dug the field and make a plan. In post #11 first picture shows tobacco field about 6m/ 20feet long. It is a bit longer now and wider. I gain one more row of tobacco and I feel happy.

planvrhnikab.jpg

Space between path is 1m/ 3 feet+. The soil is beautiful and almost ready.

planvrhnika.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.