Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Introduction, new to growing

Status
Not open for further replies.

garryricketson

Hello , my name is Garry,
I am new to the forum, and also, very new to growing any tobacco, in fact this year will be my first try at it. I wanted to plant some seed called "Mohawk Rustica", actually I did plant a few just the other day , it is still to soon to say anything, except that I now see I did not get anywhere enough seed, and probably I paid way to much. I got 100 seeds, but who knows how many will really sprout,..and being new at this, I may need to experiment some.

I live in Mexico, it should be a good area to grow tobacco, what I smoke now, is some tobacco I get.
that is grown by a guy in a pueblo near where I live, I really have no clue as to what kind it is, it is a very dark tobacco, strong , I like it, however I am reluctant to ask him if he will give/or sell me some seed, he might be afraid I would be "competing" with him.

Before, I was smoking "bugler" tobacco, when I was in the US, bugler is not available here, where I live, but anyway the tobacco I get is much stronger, and better. If I bought cigarettes , it was always camel, (no filter), or here in Mexico, a brand called Delicados, also non filter. When I was very young I started smoking "prince albert", later switched to camels.

So anyway, I am realizing this will take some time, and some experimenting, ideally I would plant a variety of seeds, but have no clue as to what kind of seed, will produce the kind of tobacco I like, from what I have read the higher nicotine content of the Mohawk Rustica, is what I am looking for,
Anyway, for now that is all, I guess, also my economic situation makes it impossible to go buying lots of seed, at very high prices, and not even knowing if that seed produces the kind of plants I want, in other words, I can not afford to waste money "experimenting", well I guess that is all for now, I have to go to work. I will see if anyone has any ideas or suggestions.
from Garry

Last edited by a moderator:

Dean

Re: Introductiion, new to growing

Economics aside, what are you looking for in a smoke, cigs, pipe, cigar? There are a lot pf people here that are willing to help you out, they are all,feeling the same pinch. Hell, I'll send you some from oz if I need to. Fill in your profile and see who comes out of the woodwork to help you out. This is a close knit community of sorts expanding the globe, brought together by a common interest. You will not find another forum out there like it. Seed savers, commercial growers and home growers all formulating an international opinion. For baccy this is the place to be.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, GR. Be sure to read the FAQ for beginning growers (link at top of every page). See if you can take a few photos of the plants your neighbor is growing--both of the growing plants and their blossoms. It may not be N. rustica at all. Feel free to start your own grow log in the "Grow Blogs" section of the forum.

Bob

DGBAMA

Welcome GR. Lots of good info here. Sounds like "Dark Air" varieties might be of interest to you. Much of the flavor of a Camel comes from Turkish/Oriental tobacco, low in nicotine but high in flavor. Consider growing some to add in small amounts to flavor the stronger leaf.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im sure you'll be sucessfull. just do a lot of reading and learn from others mistakes,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
One of our members, Skychaser, has a seed site that sells Mohawk, as well as many other varieties. Click on the variety name and a description and picture will pull up. A great, informative resource, as well as a tobacco seed site. He is a trusted member of long standing. His seed prices and shipping are extremely competitive, and you will receive at least 300 seed.
http://northwoodseeds.com/

Welcome to the forum. It's about time we got a Mexican member on here. I'm sure you have a lot to contribute. Mexico has a rich tradition of tobacco growing. Many of us are interested in the history of tobacco so anything you share with us along those lines would be greatly appreciated.

Please put your general location in your profile. Just Mexico will be fine. The answers to many questions you may have will depend on your location and weather, and the location in your profile will keep us from having to always ask "Where are you from?"

DonH

100 seeds is more than you think. Especially if they're a Rustica variety. They usually have a high germination and survival rate unless the seeds are really old. If you want to make the most of your 100 seeds, don't plant them directly in the ground, use germination trays with cells and only put 2 or 3 seeds in each cell. Good luck!

leverhead

Welcome! It may take some time to figure out what you've been smoking, maybe even a little spying to see how he's harvesting and curing it. Tobacco seed is very small, a pinch will grow allot of tobacco. The questions we might ask you will give you some clues as to what to look for.

Nikfits

Welcome Garry. I am new here too. All the comments above are very true. I haven't posted much because I've been reading up on many of the threads here. It's a treasure chest of information. And these guys here have helped me out in more ways than I can count in the short time that I've been a member. Some great people here!!!

garryricketson

Re: Introductiion, new to growing

Economics aside, what are you looking for in a smoke, cigs, pipe, cigar? There are a lot pf people here that are willing to help you out, they are all,feeling the same pinch. Hell, I'll send you some from oz if I need to. Fill in your profile and see who comes out of the woodwork to help you out. This is a close knit community of sorts expanding the globe, brought together by a common interest. You will not find another forum out there like it. Seed savers, commercial growers and home growers all formulating an international opinion. For baccy this is the place to be.

cheers
First thanks everyone for the welcome, as soon as I get a chance will do on the profile, to answer this:
''what are you looking for in a smoke, cigs, pipe, cigar?"" It is for cigarettes, I do not really like pipes much, but if I have no papers, a pipe is ok, "flavor" is not that important, all though it is nice to have a good flavor, for me, the nicotine content is what counts, it does seem that the higher the nicotine content, the less I smoke, I like to take a few puffs, and I am content, if I don't smoke the whole cigarette, great, when I want some more I can light it again, ok well, I will read up on some things more, since I just planted my seeds today, it will be a while before I have any photos, if they sprout.

BarG

Founding Member
Welcome and grow your own. seeds are readily available to promote the propagation of varietys, and availability to the average joe. To hell with pedro who wants to hold you back, jusst practice karate.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome to the site, stick around and it will not be long til you will be selling tobacco to your supplier :)

garryricketson

Ok, well thank you all again for the welcome, hopefully next week some time, the seeds I did plant start to sprout. I can ask, questions if need be in the appropriate topics, and all ready I have gained some insight, or knowledge reading many of the topics.

Ashauler

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. Some wondeful Maduro wrappers are grown in Mexico!

Status
Not open for further replies.