Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Trey's 2014 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonehead

i set up lights using sawhorse brackets and very light small link chain to hang the lights from. you can add 2 by 4s as long and tall as you wan't. if you use one screw to put them togather they go up and come down in a couple of minutes. with a couple of heavy finishing nails nailed part way in the top cross board to attatch the chain on whatever link you wan't to adjust them up and down as the plants get taller. i use my saw horses i already had and just change out the cross board for seedling time then change them back after transplanting so i had my saw hoarses back.

tryals15

OK. I'm working on lights tonight.

And Knucks, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll give you a peak my "grown-up" bookshelf. Most everything else is Clancy, Crichton, Grisham and Card. :)

IP5U7597.jpg

tryals15

So this is as good as it gets tonight. It's a 100 watt bulb. I'm assuming this is slightly better than nothing, but not good enough. You guys think this will suffice, or am I still going shopping tomorrow? Also, I've seen 24 hour lighting and normal daylight hour lighting schedules. What are the benefits to each? Thanks.

IP5U7601.jpg

grgfinney

Better than nothing but they will be streching toward the light those little flouresent lights at walmart work pretty good i have about 20 set up in mini greenhouses on chickenwire they need to be about 2in above plants

tryals15

OK. I bought one lamp. Questions:

1. Do I leave it on 24/7?

2. Is it close enough?

3. Should I leave the the lid on the seedlings?

4. Is it ok to leave the guard on the light? (mildly concerned about mischievous cats...)

IP5U7605.jpg

DGBAMA

Light will be good.

I would lower it to an inch or so above the lid.

Myself, I turn off at bedtime and on in the morning. I leave lids on at night, and prop them up a bit for air circulation during the daytime.

Time to start thinning the Izmir, YTB, and PA Red. They will already have a root at least equal to the height of the seedling and will quickly tangle eachother. Start with getting them down to 6-8 per cell then give a week before further thinning to allow the strongest to show themselves.

Looking good. Makes me want to start seeds, but alas it is still too early for me. Snow and Ice here tonight.

Brown Thumb

DGBAMA is spot on . Only other than I would do is take the cover over the bulbs off. It does not get very hot

tryals15

SO... I will thin these guys out tonight or tomorrow night, but what am I looking for in "keepers?" I typically would assume I should keep the tallest, but that would mean they reached for light the most and are the most leggy, which is bad, right? Thanks in advance!

And sorry for the camera phone pic. :(
2014-02-20 18.01.39.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I usually thin out the smallest, weakest ones and end up with the biggest and strongest looking. The tall ones are probably the early sprouters so they've had time to get taller and bigger. I usually go by leaf size and health more than plant height.

Brown Thumb

Knucks I think is right, I pick out the biggest leaf sprouts.

DGBAMA

For keeping "true to form" plants in each variety, select your keepers as the healthiest looking from the 75-80% that are most uniform. The few stray ones, both large and small should be discarded.

If you have a short growing season and want to push the variety toward faster germination/maturing then select from the first healthy ones that sprouted.

If you want to push a plant that is normally too big for you, pick from the smaller but still healthy ones.

All of the above presume you will be saving seeds for future seasons and want to influence the growth tendency of future plantings. If you are not saving seed, just thin down to the healthiest ones. Pay attention to the stem diameter, thicker is generally stronger.

I would recommend thinning in two sessions, the first go get each cell down to 5-6; then give several days rest before making the final selections.

tryals15

Thanks for the tips, guys! Thinning was significantly more time consuming than I anticipated, so here's to half a job done. More tomorrow! :)

IP5U7619.jpg

Brown Thumb

Looking Good. Go get some more trays a few more wont hurt you .

tryals15

Those seeds are impossible to count! I don't know how to sow them accurately... And as far as keeping more plants: I'm already wondering what I'm going to do with these 72... I guess I need to make some tobacco friends! :)

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
It could have came out of the potting soil. In that pic. it looks like the plants are taller than the ones I have.less water(not to a shine) and some window light maybe. They look very good. When My last plants grew that tall,I added more soil and natural light With none at night.

tryals15

It's been too long since I last posted. My plants are growing fast! I need to thin them out a second time this week. In the meantime, though, what is this white coating on the soil? It has only shown up in a few cells; I've taken a picture of two cells next to each other. One with the white stuff, one without. There seems to be no effect on the plants...

2014-03-09 22.28.06.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.