Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Love to smoke, and "ramble"

Status
Not open for further replies.

garryricketson

I have started transplanting them, yes they seem to be doing ok, I should take some photos again. A interesting note, the ones in the wheel barrow have grown a lot, but the ones that I had put in the cups, just don't seem to be doing much of anything, I will get back with some photos, and more later. We had some rain yesterday, but right now I am late for work, it is kind of a "hectic"monday, so I'll get back later

garryricketson

With work and all, I had not had much chance to check in here. Every evening I have been busy getting the ground ready, where I can plant my tobbacos, as the start getting big enough, now they finally are, about ( 6 weeks) , I think. The rustic is what I had planted first, and I lost a lot of them, I guess trying to transplant to soon.
It was just this last weekend, I started some others, "Bursa", they are sprouting now, and started some "little dutch" seeds today, hopefully now these will do a little better then the rustica did, now I know some things I didn;t realize before. MOST IMPORTANT, "be patient", once the plants got big enough, they seem to be taking the transplanting ok. However on the other hand, the area I had started the seeds in, turned out not to be big enough, so I had to take some plants out, and put them somewhere, I did put some in small styrofoam cups, but ran out of cups, and actually a lot of those died too, the other that I put in cups, just don't seem to be growing very much. the ones I kept in the wheel barrow, really started to take off, especially when they had more space, maybe I will post some photos of the "biggest" ones, tomorrow. Any way, hope every one else is doing ok, and I just wanted to say hi, I am tired now, and going to heat up my dinner, then sleep,..
The wearther has been terrible here, it gets warm, but then cold at night, and windy, the wind dries everything out real bad,..we did get a couple of light "showers", but after they passed, more cold, fortunately nothing frooze,but a couple of nights were very close to freezing, this is very unusual for us , here, this time if year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm sorry to hear about your seedling problems. Hang in there, you probably have a long enough season that you could do two separate crops if you wanted to. The key will be harvesting the second crop while the curing weather is still good.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Garry!!! slow down buddy. That is what We are here for. Q; do You have lites on them? Do you keep them coverd in the sun?(clear plastic) Are they wet? and What did You fert them with? We can help You save them if We know what You are doing. You are in the same geo. that I am in. It is hard to get them little guys to pop. But when You do it is a breez.

garryricketson

Thanks, all,... yes the cups have holes in the bottom, and actually sides too , No lights are being used.
Do you keep them coverd in the sun?(clear plastic)
The ones that did surrvive, that is what I ended up doing, is keeping clear plastic cups (large ones) over them, to help keep the moisture in, but that is a hard call, because in the sun, they could over heat, at night I did put the cups over them,
What did You fert them with?
That was mentioned in a earlier post, seems to have been a bad idea, I had mixed old sheep manure with the soil, and later it was mentioned that for the soil where the seeds are started, no fertilizer is recomended,. but it was all ready to late, I had all ready started them. Some did start to "rot" at the stem, in the 5th week, which was partly why I wanted to get them out of the wheel barrow, actually none of those died, and I carefully cleaned away some the soil, around the stems, and added a little bit of sand, this seems to have stopped the rotting, and they are doing real good now, I need to send some photos, With the rustica, I have about 16 plants that are looking real good now, I am sure they will be ok, the others, (bursa),are still just tiny seedlings, in a "starting bed" I made, but this time no fertalizer,(sheep pooh),..that stays covered with clear plastic, but also is not in direct sun, mostly a shady area, but some sun hits it,
Ok well, I need to go, now, I will try to explain more later.

Status
Not open for further replies.