Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Love to smoke, and "ramble"

Status
Not open for further replies.

garryricketson

I love to smoke, and "ramble", or chat, and with a fresh hot coffee,..I am in heaven,..browseing thru the forum, I stumbled on to a post about staying on topic when we post, this can be hard for me, but I understand the need for that, well I browsed some more, and found this "general discussions", ahh, great, nice to see there is somewhere where we can "ramble",
Since I am new to the forum, and also new to growing tobacco, and in the introductions, well if I tried to tell everything there is to say about me, I would never finish, and then the time spent reading about what the others that respond say,.. hmm, anyway, I am almost 60 , still working a very heavy smoker, have been all my life, but in a nut shell, it finally reached a point where I can not afford to support my habbit any more buying commercial brand cigarettes, and even bugler tobacco has gone sky high. And here where I live/work, in mexico, Cuencame, Durango,Mx. one will not find bugler tobacco, nor Top, nor any commercial roll your own.
However there are a few guys in a pueble near here , Penon Blanco, Dgo. that do grow tobacco, and others that make cigarettes, but with corn husks, not rolling papers, and they sell the cigarrettes , 15 pesos ($1.50) for 15 cigs, after asking around I found out who would sell me just tobacco, whole leaves, and started buying it from them, so then , I realized, well if they can grow it, so could I, Being kind of lazy, it has taken me awhile to get around to actually getting and planting any seed, but now I am anxiously waiting to see if my first seeds, supposedly "mowhawk rustic", actually sprout, if the seed I bought is good it will, I am sure I did everything right. it has now been about 3 days so, to early to tell.
Most of the people around here that have any experience growing tobacco, got their experience in the US, Kentucky, in fact one guy gave me a bag ,about 2 lbs, that he brought back from kentucy, there are several guys that work in the tobacco fields,in the US, they go back and forth every year. I have not yet actually met the guy that grows the tobacco I buy here, it would be a entire different subject to explain about that, completely, things here in Mexico are much different then in the US, the guy that grows the tobacco practically never goes into the pueblo,(town), he sells it in bulk to another guy, that makes the smokes, and that is the one that goes around to the stores, and "distributes" the finished product.
I may go more into this later,
I had a freind years ago, he was a very good gardner, I lived about 1 hour and a half, ride, by horseback from his house, and used to leave my horse at his house, when I went to town, that in it self is another story, but when ever I went to town, after I had put the horse up, we would vistit a while, drink coffee and smoke, sometimes he would give me a ride to town in his car if he happened to be going too, I always enjoyed the conversations, etc, especially because I lived in a very isolated place, and often went several weeks, without taliking to anyone,..another story,..
Now a days, with internet, even when I am in a isolated place, the computer is a wonderful means to communicate, so I type and smoke, enjoying my "leisure" or free time,..
Where I work here in Mexico, is very isolated too, closer to where the mines are, and connected, I cut and work with the stones they get from the mines, ahh, I forgot to take a photo, but I did make a stone (onix) pipe, it is at my home, though, however since I am not a "pipe" smoker, I have not made many pipes, but some times if I do not have real papers I use it, or the corn husks , work pretty good too. I am getting tired now, so I am going to close now. One last not though, here where I work, we have 2 wells, and about 20 acres to work with, so I have plenty of water, it should be a excellent place to start growing my tobacco,..I am really excited about this, can't wait, but have to to see the seeds sprout.

DGBAMA

There are many exciting milestones the first year, sprouting seeds is just the first. :)

Would love to see a picture of the Onyx pipe. We have a number of very talented pipe makers here but have never seen one made of stone.

The idea of using corn husk for papers is also new to me, feel free to share more info.

Don't take the "Stay on Topic" thing too literally. there is a little jokin and joshin in just about every thread; just don't cause a post about "harvesting" to turn into "how to make grandma's chocolate chip cookies". Keep conversation at least somewhat relative to the thread.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Well, pull up a chair, light your cigarette, and let's have a cup of coffee. Please don't spit on the floor, there's a spittoon behind you.

You can also start a group and chat all you want to in the group. The forum FAQ's will tell you how to start a group and explains the different kind of groups: http://fairtradetobacco.com/faq.php This is different from the Tobacco FAQ's at the top of each page.

DonH

Welcome, Garry! Sounds like an interesting life you have down there. You may want to grow more varieties than just Rustica. I like Rustica but it has a "unique" taste that might get old smoking it every day. Lots of us are swimming in seeds right now so if it's possible to get them through the corrupt mail system down there let us know.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
onyx. is my favorite, stone,

my class ring of 86' was a onyx, and my future wedding ring is gonna be a onyx. [ my wife said i can upgrade my current ring, and get a new one, i figured a explanation was needed for that...lol...]

welcome to the forum, im sure you'll find growing tobaccoo, not only saves you money, but it's quiet enjoyable, and very relaxing,

garryricketson

I have always enjoyed some gardening, however so much of my life was "migratory", that is to say I never stayed working/living in the same place year after year, Often working in the gardens, of other people, but not having my own. I am more settled now, been with this company, and at this place about 7 years, now and I don't expect to be going any where except maybe a short trip, once and a while,..my home here, now, not the same as where I work, I stay here where I work all week, and go home on the weekends, any way I have been living there 15 years now., where our house is, though , often there is no running water, sometimes for up to 2 months, and it is very hot, dry. However, not very far away(about 8 miles) is a river,and fields, also there they have irrigation canals, and there is always someone willing to rent or loan, some of the field land, so there is some where good for growing. In the years past I only had a bicycle, so 8 miles is a long ways, this year I finally was able to buy a pickup, so now it is easy to go to where the water is, if need be. But right here where I work is the best place, because that is where I spend most of my time.
my future wedding ring is gonna be a onyx.
Hmm, I am not a jewler, but I often have thought about cutting a oval peice, and polishing it, then have a jewler make the base, for a belt buckle, a ring would be nice too,..
I lived in Florida at one time , Fernandina Beach, but that is another subject:)

garryricketson

Welcome, Garry! Sounds like an interesting life you have down there. You may want to grow more varieties than just Rustica. I like Rustica but it has a "unique" taste that might get old smoking it every day. Lots of us are swimming in seeds right now so if it's possible to get them through the corrupt mail system down there let us know.
Actually the mail system is not to bad, so far I have always recieved anything sent to me by mail, sometimes slow though, it can take up to 30 days, but it does get hear.
------------------------------------
It took me some thinking and a little work, but I made this gif image, of my back yard, as you can see I have lots of space for my plants, even if it does not rain much, I can haul enough water each week from the river, easily. I will probabley plant some at home, and some at where I work.
I have not decided yet, but anyway this is my backyard, as you can see I have plenty of room for my tobacco plants, this year we had a lot of rain, in the past it never was this green. I talked to a guy that is my age, 60, he has lived here all his life, was born here. He said now that it started raining again, it will be this way every year, for the next 25 or 30 years, if he is right, then that means a very long druaght , or dry spell, of maybe 20 years has ended, I hope so.
backyard.gif
when the rains came this year, I was amazed, I never imagined how pretty it could be here, it also got me realizing, I could grow tobacco, as much as I need, and probabley more if I want. I am especially interested in seed that does well in a semi "wild" type situation, IE; minumal care. Even if the plants are not that big, a high number of plants would make up for the lack in size.
Ahh, that leads to a question, what about rabbits,mice, etc,..do they eat tobacco plants ? I do have a small area fenced, to where horses,donleys,cows,goats or sheep can not get in,..but there are a lot of Jack rabbits, and some cotton tails, and lots of "field mice".

Last edited:

winston-smoker

Frankly, I think that straying a bit off topic is simply in the nature of conversation. Sooner or later, a thread either returns to the original topic or becomes dormant. Placing too strict controls to keep a thread "on topic" will only result in "stilted" dialogue, in my opinion.

Fernandina Beach ... I went there on vacation about four or five years ago, along with St. Augustine and Savannah. Very quiet and relaxing place, perfect for us 'big city' types to get away from the noise and bustle of the city for awhile. Probably not a good vacation spot for families with children, though -- I would think that the kids would quickly get bored.

An onyx pipe sounds very interesting ... if the craftsmanship is good, I would think it would make a nice decorative piece.

I also love to smoke (no mystery there!), and my habit's become better than ever since I discovered the phenomenal taste of good tobacco! It took about a year of trial and error, though.

leverhead

Rabbits won't bother tobacco, deer can be a pest when the plants are small. They don't eat it, but will step all over it. Pretty place! Do you even get frost there?

garryricketson

Do you even get frost there?
Not very often, but in December it is possible, a couple of years ago, it got cold enough to raise heck with the water pipes, I had some freeze and lots of leaks when it warmed up, this year we have had a lot of cold, and for several days in a row, however still not quite freezing. Also I guess the same 2 years ago, it froze enough to damage the lemon trees, my wife has, usually we always have limes, actually not lemons, but the trees were in bloom when it froze, so no limes.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome Gary,
beautiful space you got there. We got rabbits and mice and never had any problems with them bothering them while growing. My tobacco does so much better when the summer is dry rather than wet like last year, cause tobacco "doesn't like wet feet", which I first heard from Lonnie, a Tenn tobacco grower.

webmost

Our new friend Garry, he ain't afraid of a keyboard. Makes you wanna ride down the Mexico with a six pack, set, and jaw awhile.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that land does look promising,

not what i would have thought it would look like,

can we see a soil picture, a dug hole or something,,, some overturned soil?

garryricketson

Ok, it will be this weekend though, like I said, where I work is to far for me to go home every day, I stay here all week,
Noticing your avatar, "rooster fights" are very popular here too, ...
From what I am hearing or read, it is 8 to 10 days for tobacco seeds to germinate ? I guess that would vary depending on type of seed,and temp, etc. The seed I put in little styrofoam cups, was last Wednesday, so now I am really getting anxious, they should pop up any time.
My boss here has a bunch of sheep, there is a huge pile of manure, from years past, that is what I am using for fertilizer.
I am concerned that maybe I mixed my soil,and manure to strong, however the manure is several years old, I used 2 to1,
2 shovels of regular dirt, 1 of manure. but also added a little sand and small gravel,..

garryricketson

OOPS!, wish I had mentioned that earlier, it is kind of to late now, but things may work out anyway, today, 2 tiny little pin heads of green showed , in one of my "cups", you can barely see them in the photo, but there are actually 3,
seedling.jpg
seedling2.jpg
On the plastic, yes I have them covered with plastic. ( in clear plastic bags)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.