Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to build a 50 Dollar Greenhouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I built poly tunnel a few years back using the same kind of method, I used some 15mm poly pipe bent for the walls and some clear plastic for the cover. Worked well. just wish I had the space to built a big version like this.

skychaser

Here is a photo of our greenhouse. The frame is from one of those portable canvas "garages" that the wind likes to destroy in a year. We got it for free. We bolted it down on a foundation made of pressure treated 4x6, which cost nearly $100 and was the most expensive part. We bolted a few 2x4's to the metal frame to stiffen it up and to attach the metal to on the side and ends. The metal was salvaged from an old carport that was torn down and was free, and is insulated with sheets of foam on the inside. We put a 6' sliding glass door in each end that was salvaged from an old house that was torn down near by. One has a broken seal and fogs some between the glass, but who cares because they were free too. The plastic is 5 year rated greenhouse plastic from Johnny's seeds which cost us about $55. It's 3 years old now and shows no signs of deterioration as of yet. The pitch is steep enough that it sheds snow like a duck sheds water. We put 2 inches of gravel on the floor inside, and built 4 full length watering benches that are sized to hold 10/20 trays. There is still room for a couple more if we need them. We started over 3000 plants in it last year. We could probably start 5000 plants in it if we wanted too. It's heated by a 1500 watt electric heater, which does the job from mid March through October. This year we kept it going until the first of December. Total cost for everything we bought was just under $300.

Attachments

• greenhouse.jpg
    greenhouse.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 100

darren1979

First Time Grower
A good looking greenhouse you have there sky, just goes to show some salvaged parts and a good imagination you can make anything.

Markw

That's a good looking greenhouse you have built there Sky. It just goes to show what you can recycle these days. It would have cost a small fortune to buy one of those new from a shop.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Great project. I too am working on one. I was giving a iron gazebo. I already have bisquin and conduits to use. The roof however will be at a slant with a rain brl. to catch rain. everything is constructed the same as that one but with shelves half way up. and a mister in the top with a fan. all i am in need of now is the bottom 2x4's. Trying to do it all for free. Thanks for the post I can use some of the inf. on cross suports for the door.The screws I am using are for sheet rock to metal stud use (TEX) due to' I am using 3/4 and 1" EMT.

skychaser

It was 48 yesterday and 22 last night. The greenhouse was 91 yesterday at 2pm with no vents open. With just one heater running, it will bottom out at 33-34 inside at night when it's that cold, which is a little to close for comfort, so I have a second one connected to a thermostat that kicks it on at 35 degrees.

I don't have anything growing in it yet. It needs a spring cleaning and I still have some tobacco hanging in there. After 3 years the plastic has gotten grimy looking and needs a good washing inside and out. That should be fun. Otherwise, it is holding up very well, even where the f***ing cat climbed on it and poked little holes.

Lakota

Founding Member
Sky I have been getting all the stuff ready for mine. It looks like the actual cost will be somewhere around 350 CAD. There is still a few feet of snow on the ground but it is melting fast, hopefully i can have my plants in it by mid may.. I got the 11 mil woven poly from northerngreenhouse.com. Total cost of the overhead poly was 135, so not bad and I should not have to replace it for 4 or 5 years. Russ

Planter

I am debating whether I should move some 4-5 weeks old seedlings to a cooler place with 55-65 °F during the day and probably just 35-40 °F at night. On the upside, they would get good light there and more space. Is this advisable or too cold?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner, the commercial grower, told me last year I could move my seedlings outside when night time temps were above 40F, or I could cover them at night with plastic sheeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.