Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello all…from New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnysmokes

Hello FTT,

It is a pleasure to meet all of you. I am a cigar smoker, I love all different types. My goal from this forum is to learn about the different types of tobacco that are grown in the United States, and the growers as well. I also want to learn the different types of leaves and parts of a cigar, as far as the filler, binder and wrapper and the process involved in making the tobacco useable (curing, fermentation, destemming). A few of my close friends and I are looking to purchase cigar tobacco and have it rolled. We want to "pick" and "build" our own. We are looking at this as more of a hobby/interest than a business. I figured where else can I learn about this than from professionals and people who love it and are around it everyday. I hope I can get some input and feed back from all of you. Thank you in advance.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. The owner of this forum owns a whole leaf site with some great cigar varieties: http://www.wholeleaftobacco.com/. He has quite a selection now. I can highly recommend the Nicaraguan fillers and Maduro or Corojo wrappers as my personal favorites.

Aaron

Welcome to the forum! I'm not very educated on cigars but there are many here who are. We've also got some great sources for cigar leaf to get you started. Don, aka FmGrowit runs www.wholeleaftobacco.com Also Larry, aka BigBonner has some great leaf for sale too. Then there's also Michibacy who has been working on setting up a kind of classified system for selling and buying whole leaf. His site is www.davinciplantservices.com . I'm not sure what all he has available but it may be worth looking.

DGBAMA

Welcome.

No need to "have it rolled". With some practice and reading here you can be making them yourself in no time. There is enough satisfaction in doing it yourself to make the time learning how worthwhile......and it is fun.

jekylnz

Welcome johnny.S ..you'll be rolling perfect sticks in no time. .just heaps of practice and you'll forget the time when you never knew how to roll..its much more enjoyable knowing how to change the taste/aroma etc according to your preferences at that time....and what variety makes up each different component. .and give you a better understanding of the cigar all together. .
Maybe at some point grow a few filler.wrapper.bind. types to make some cigar all made by you..and to add to leaf you already have to change things up abit. ..its real satisfying to create a whole cigar you have grown..cared for..cured..aged.. rolled.etc.then finally smoke all yourself.
You in the right place anyway. ..You should be able to find most subjects have been discussed at some point before. .Otherwise just ask..there's always someone that can help you out. .and again..Welcome. .Make yourself at home. Lol

Johnnysmokes

Great! I am extremely excited to learn and to ask questions. Thank you all for the kind words.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Welcome aboard NY, are you an Upstater ?

Edit: WS's post was not there when I was writing this post. lol

garryricketson

Hello Johnny, I am new here too, just got some of my first seeds sprouting. I am seriously thinking about getting seed for 'wrappers" and switch over to cigars instead of cigarettes. Here where I live, cigarette papers are not available, they use corn husks, I get my papers shipped here, but it is kind of expensive, making cigars sounds like a good option.

DonH

Hello Johnny, I am new here too, just got some of my first seeds sprouting. I am seriously thinking about getting seed for 'wrappers" and switch over to cigars instead of cigarettes. Here where I live, cigarette papers are not available, they use corn husks, I get my papers shipped here, but it is kind of expensive, making cigars sounds like a good option.
Garry, you can also use leaves from cigarette variety plants to make your own tobacco rolling paper to make cigarillos. Just cut the cured leaf into squares about 2 or 3 inches square. The use the squares like you would cigarette papers. You can glue it with some pectin mixed with water. They end up tasting really good and you're not smoking paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.