Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

HAs anyone noticed different burn qualities in homegrown tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jpcouling

I think it might be very interesting to see if others notice unusual or novel burning qualities of their smoking tobacco. My small stemmed black mammoth has this strange energy release when I smoke it. I notice audible crackling or burning noises and I can see sparks of energy release from it in very small and quick amounts. I am trying to discern what this is and what the cause is. The tobacco was grown with minimal fertilizer, it was sun cured until golden brown, and was not picked too early, but it was planted later in the season. From the previous post I made about sugar in tobacco and the flue curing process, I wonder if my tobacco being completely sun dried and cured made the burn composition differ. Has anyone else experienced any unusual burning patterns or other oddities?

Jpcouling

C'mon someone must notice something about their tobacco! I find it hard to believe that everyone's tobacco just "burns"!

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Do you roll your cigarettes on your reloading table? Smokeless powder could do that.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Sounds like excess nitrogen in the leaf. If you plant in fertile soil, you don't have to fertilize at all. Flue Cured tobaccos are grown in sandy and clay soil...neither of which are particularly fertile.

All tobacco leaves are not created equal either. The upper leaves will almost always need to be blended with thinner leaves in order to burn properly.

Jpcouling

Thanks FMGrowit! That makes sense, excess Nitrogen would seem to alter burning. I didn't fertilize it but the tobacco had been grown in a pot where prior plants had been fertilized, so I could see excess Nitrogen as a primary cause.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I doubt excess "anything" would cause sparks and crackling in your tobacco. Your tobacco has been adulterated with something. What that something is, I do not know.

Jpcouling

I doubt excess "anything" would cause sparks and crackling in your tobacco. Your tobacco has been adulterated with something. What that something is, I do not know.

Well this is not a sparkle and crackle in an exaggerated sense, it is subtle but not necessarily in line with all the other tobacco I have smoked in my life. It isn't as if I light one up I am smoking a firecracker! I hope it isn't adulterated with anything! If so, I don't know what it is either!

DonH

My different homegrown varieties burn at different rates. And mine generally burn faster than store bought. I think it's because I put a lot of wood ash in my soil (potassium) and also I don't get 100% full sun and tend to prime a bit earlier than others, both of which makes for thinner leaf. Lots of variables.

holyRYO

In general, I have noticed from leaf, pipe, and RYO tobacco I purchased. From best to worst burning: maryland, burley, virginia, and turkish lagging.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I herd of that a many a year ago by My Grandfather when He lit one like that. He said it was moisture traped in the dry leaf because He left the pouch open . However I would be clue-less.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Perhaps it is a mixture of nitrogyn and sugar compounds. Nitrogyn and sugar when added together make a energetic substance when burned. I have noticed something similar in my plants. I took a a small leaf and toasted it over a low heat propane torch, the stem sort of expanded like those fireworks that are "flaming snakes".

Jpcouling

Interesting, could be both of those possibilities. I kind of like it! Do people usually flush tobacco? I have not heard much reference to that.

jekylnz

Interesting, could be both of those possibilities. I kind of like it! Do people usually flush tobacco? I have not heard much reference to that.

Not necessarily flush. .but stop fert a good couple of months before harvesting leaf...with canabis they do flushit out..but they are trying to get max bud size and growth right up to the time before harvest. ..then fush for at least 2 weeks..but I imagine weight and size ($$) ) would be more important to them than burn quality. ..if you fert tobacco too close to harvest the leaf wont ripen properly and is more likely to inhibit burn & flash dry green.

Ben Brand

I noticed burning differences in my tobacco. Fl Sumatra didn`t want to burn like Little Dutch or Zimmer spanish used as a wrapper. Fermented it for a 2nd time, improved a bit, but still not good. Pen Red was ok as a wrapper, Comstock Spanish was way better. I think I did use a bit too much fertilizers.

oldbear

Is it possible that your are smoking tobacco that has never been pressed and has pores that are causing uneven burning? Perhaps if your tobacco was cased or pressed it would have more even consistency and might burn evenly?

Oldbear

Status
Not open for further replies.