Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What am i doing wrong with Whole Leaf Tobacco blends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael B. Smith

:(
I just ordered and recieved 3 of the cigarette blends. They arrived very fast and i was stoked to try em out.
Started with the Virginia. removed leaves from pack, hydrated and used casing, removed stems and shredded. let dry to normal cigarette consistancy.
Rolled my first smoke and was shocked to get a smoke that was so acrid and harsh i couldnt even finish it. Similar results with the halfzware and yeti.
Am i missing a step? all these ppl raving about this stuff i must be doing something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: What am i doing wrong?

Welcome to the forum, MBS. Although I don't smoke cigarettes, I have used the flue-cured and Turkish from www.wholeleaftobacco.com for pipe blending, and can attest to their excellent quality.

What could be wrong? This is what comes to mind:
  • too much casing
  • tobacco too dry (hot-burning)
  • too loosely packed (hot-burning)
Some of the other members may have better ideas.

Bob

DGBAMA

Did you dilute the casing? It is shipped concentrated.

bryonlr

Hey to Michael. Not sure what happened, but I can tell you, I have been smoking the Yedi and Virginia blends for the last couple of months, and can honestly say it is the best cigarette tobacco I have ever smoked. Take out the mid rib, shred, spread out on paper sack, DO NOT SPREAD ON NEWSPAPER, IT WILL PICK UP THE INK!! fill the casing bottle with water, spray,on shredded tobbaco, mix, let sit for 24 hours, ENJOY!!

Rickey60

Welcome Michael! I hope the above posts help you with your smoke. Virginia should be very mild even without caseing. My wife likes a mild smoke so I mix her a blend of 80% Virginia, 10% Turkish, and 10% burley, she loves it. Very mild but taste great.

holyRYO

Suggestion to all who buy a mix of tobaccos. Before you blend everything together, first thing, try samples of each tobacco. Learn how each smokes, find out what smokes best for you. "One man's meat is another man's poison". Try to make a blend that better suites you based on your sampling, try without and with casing... for less harshness, leave out the Burley and/or the Maryland... the more you experiment, the better the outcome should be.

I have not tried any of the new blends or the new casings, but can attest that imo WLT has some of the best Virginias, Turkish, and Dark Fired available anywhere.

DonH

Not sure what happened, but I have shredded up the same blend and it's not harsh at all. I would advise bringing it up to medium case before shredding and shredding before spraying the diluted casing and mix very well so the casing is spread out evenly. Then, since the casing has water, letting it sit in a jar overnight with the lid off so that it goes back down to medium case.

winston-smoker

If you are getting the same results after processing three different blends, you probably are doing something wrong. The peculiarity that I noticed right away was it sounds like you cased the tobacco before destemming and shredding. I don't know why that should make much of a difference, unless by doing so you might have inadvertently applied the casing unevenly. How did you dry the tobacco? Did it air dry, or did you use some method of heating it?

leverhead

This may seem like a stupid question, but how did you shred your leaf? I can't speak about pasta makers or a dedicated tobacco shredder, I don't use them. I roll my tobacco very tightly like a cigar and slice it thin. It can take three days to a week to calm back down enough to smoke. I think it has to do with how much you compress the tobacco. Another thing that can make it harsh is if the tobacco stays stuck together in multiple layers, another reason for casing after shredding.

burge

I did watch the leaf only on how to cut it and take a look at it. I like learning A home made casing is sugar and water in this vid the guy clearly states its important to cut the leaf using scissors in a 45 degree angle. I do know I am smoking peter stocklebye danis pipe tobacco and it tastes totally different that the fine cut. They bot taste different but are the same tocbacco and it is due to the different cut

Mad Oshea

Taking a break

Welcome Michael! I hope the above posts help you with your smoke. Virginia should be very mild even without caseing. My wife likes a mild smoke so I mix her a blend of 80% Virginia, 10% Turkish, and 10% burley, she loves it. Very mild but taste great.
If You get a select of tobacco, You should think of the blend. Don't smoke just the type and think it will be a "KIT" cig. You have to blend to what You are looking for. Try that and see? And watch the casing as to what to mix. Ricky 60 has a good blend. I like a 20% Turkish,40% Vg and 40 Burley . The VG and Burley are different at times due to what time of the year it is for My tast. I am at this time smoking -30% turkish,50% VG and 8% Burley and 2% latakia.I like the nicotin kick. but that is My tast for this time of year- It changes as the seasons do due to what is in the air. Like wine- And think of the tobacco You wish to blend for the flavor and tast, as well as the after tast that You desire. And drink a beer for Me. Mad..

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
This may seem like a stupid question, but how did you shred your leaf? I can't speak about pasta makers or a dedicated tobacco shredder, I don't use them. I roll my tobacco very tightly like a cigar and slice it thin. It can take three days to a week to calm back down enough to smoke. I think it has to do with how much you compress the tobacco. Another thing that can make it harsh is if the tobacco stays stuck together in multiple layers, another reason for casing after shredding.
I think You would love a Navy roll cut. Take a wad of You baccy, and roll it up in a cylinder- Then get some twine and start from one end, and start to roll till You are at the other end. Now make sure You roll it as hard as You can get it. Tie it off- Add a flavor if You wish. Then hang for a while. Slice with a shaveta (or a sharp blade) Pack and smoke (don't smoke the string) The longer the better Hum? Do alot of them and You will be happy the space is gone and Your pouch is full. Mad

MarcL

Welcome to FTT.
This is all good info.

It sounds like your just starting out?
If so, there is a little practice needed. even if your a commercial tobacco Roll Your Own-er.

One thing to consider, some pin holes in the filter will lighten the smokes.

AmaxB

I've been sort of silent for some time now, but just can't help myself here. I can't say in regard to casings I don't use them. But can comment on the need to kiln if a truly good cigarette tobacco is wanted.
After much research and testing I've come to the conclusion there is but one way reach a great smoke that is smooth yet rich tax and chemical free. (I may get myself tossed in a pit and stoned here)

As already noted the slightest change can bring a very different result.

Cured tobacco is not ready for use - there are other steps and cured is the first for cigarette tobacco. (likely why the TTB has not lumped cured tobacco in the same group as processed tobacco)
The second step is to age it, all the big boys do this on their conveyor belts with added chemicals and heat. We do it in a kiln without the chemicals {Forced Aging}
If a good job has been done with the kiln bright leaf will smell something like caramel, become dark tan in color and have some stretch but tear easily. Burley will not change much in color but will take on a pleasant aroma.
The third step is to put it up for cold sweat - The big boys do this in holding chambers after blending for something like 30 days. We can do this with the tobacco in a just above medium case held in a sealed moisture tight bag before shredding with all leaves to be used in the blend in the bag. Now it is ready to shred mix and smoke.

My opinion
A proper case for cold sweat (after kilning tobacco will have a higher resistance to molding with bright leaf having a higher resistance than Burley) the tobacco leaf will feel like soft leather and have some stretch but not be the slightest bit wet.

I'll also say the tobacco is only as good as the kiln, the method, and the understanding of the process. If you get this you can get a tobacco that you simply cannot buy from a shelf in the store today - it is all heavily taxed garbage.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
AmaxB, Great questions Sir- As far as I know on casing is - Putting moisture back in the tobacco. Now as to how is up to the person of the knowlege of the product. And what is talked about is not the addative tobacco products and chems. or anything of such. It is not blending, adding , or throwing any thing in the pot to make money. It is, well Sir-- SIMPLICITY.. plain tobacco togetherness as far as -Growing,harvesting, drying then curing. Air, Flue or fire. Then the ageing and blending.. The case is the moisture of the product. You can do alot with tobacco that is amazing. I personaly would let someone that has more than My little 35 yrs in the tobacco know how help . I like what You said and hope folks hear what You say on Your input . Thanks For joining back in .All tobacco has different textures, tasts, colors, smells, and dreams And I love the dreams on a stump with a pole and smoke to make the day.. The curing is the same- today, tomorow, yesterday and now. We are the same as well. Mad -Good post Sir ..AllI have to say is : "The world is fun".

AmaxB

Ah inspiration
Mister Mad that was a mouth full
tobacco is indeed amazing, but you did not go far enough it is also different leaf to leaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.