Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dgbama 2014 grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

A tidbit on thinning. Last year I was nervous about moving/transplanting such small plants. With care, they are very tolerant.

A few of my cells that still have 2 plants, both are nicer than a single plant in an adjacent cell. In this case if the thinned plant comes out nicely with good roots, I pull the smaller one in the other cell for trash and replant the nicer one in its place. IMG_20140310_192920_455.jpg

POGreen

We've had a few nice spring days over here now and will have another one tomorrow , surely over 10 C midday but frost over night.

DGBAMA

IMG_20140312_203114_694.jpg
Good luck with your season.
Thanks Maks.

I almost feel like I know what I am doing this time. Strategy this year was to avoid as many time consuming transplants as possible by seeding cells and planning haircuts instead of planting to cups. Depending on weather, it may backfire. I probably should have waited a couple weeks longer to germinate, may still have to use cups if they get too big before planting time. They are growing very much better than last year.
IMG_20140312_203025_773.jpg

DGBAMA

Just looked back at my last year log, on this day last year I had just received my first ever tobacco seeds; did not even start them until 4/1 (bad late).

Nikfits

They're looking great DGBAMA. I have a few cells of mine still needing thinning. Takes a bit longer than I thought. As soon as I thin em out, it's like they double in size in a day. When I saw that, I began going with 2 to a cell just as you are. When you have the greenhouse tops on, are yours staying a bit too wet on the width side? I noticed a few of mine doing this. You have the same trays, so I'm wondering if you have the same problem.

Yours are looking great! It's neat seeing them grow as they are. The 2nd leaves get wide and round.

Gary

DGBAMA

Thinning is a bit of work, but a half hour tending the plants after a long day at work is mental therapy that money can't buy.

Only about 15% of my cells have 2 plants now. The extra healthy ones in the doubled cells are slowly being used to replace weaker ones in single cells.

Nikfits

I got started on mine on the 25th. Ten days behind you. I was looking at these beauties and daydreaming about mine, lol. I can't wait to get the tray covers off.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Looking excellent. Don't worry about being a few weeks early. My experimentation has demonstrated that with clipping, you can maintain healthy transplants in 1020 inserts for a long, long time. (I still have a few maintained from starts 12 months ago.)

Bob

DGBAMA

Looking excellent. Don't worry about being a few weeks early. My experimentation has demonstrated that with clipping, you can maintain healthy transplants in 1020 inserts for a long, long time. (I still have a few maintained from starts 12 months ago.)

Bob

Thanks for the confirmation on that thought Bob. I was "pretty sure" I would be ok just trimming, but those are not words I want to risk an entire grow on. I did my VA Gold that way last year, just kept trimmed in the cells until I felt strong enough for planting and they did well; but that was only one variety at risk, not 31. I will stay on course as planned.

Brown Thumb

My only thought is root bound after so long in a small tray.
That is why I went to cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.