Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dgbama 2014 grow blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

New pic of the window plants. Growing good considering the limited light afforded by the window. Actually looking like Prilep now; Leaves are getting the characteristic frilly edges.
14190871163100.jpg
14190871421251.jpg

DGBAMA

This is interesting..... The plants appear to "feel" the window and have grown away from the glass to provide more room for the leaves. Main stalk is now curved away from the window.
14190920493360.jpg

Brown Thumb

They look good me. That window might be cold so thy want to get away from it?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As the top of the stem grows, it circumnutates (wags in a circular motion). This is only visible in time-lapse photography. If the leaves below the tip are large enough, they will prevent the stem from returning fully to vertical.

Bob

DGBAMA

As the top of the stem grows, it circumnutates (wags in a circular motion). This is only visible in time-lapse photography. If the leaves below the tip are large enough, they will prevent the stem from returning fully to vertical.

Bob

Thanks for the insight. So they are essentially "feeling their way" along.

Bex

Bob

Interesting! In looking this up, it appears that this was researched by Darwin - all plants do this, but you can see it most with climbing plants that are using this motion to search for support to cling to. So, I was compelled to read this:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2676747/
Eck, ok, I kinda skimmed it.....:)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Darwin's most extensive research and publications were in the field of Botany. Observing circumnutation for his 1880 book on plant movement, he sat for hours on end in a mostly darkened room, taking minute measurements. In addition, he documented phototropism, geotropism, and plant auxins (hormones). And no government research grant!

The 2009 article (from your link) proposes that circumnutation is an electro-chemical physiologic process--a plant version of muscle movement.

Bob

DGBAMA

Took down my last stalk cured Havanah today, 16 plants I had forgotten about. Pretty beat up from wind in the carport, hanging 4 months, but still got some nice leaf.
14203188583450.jpg
And trash leaf on the right. Note to self, put them away as soon as color cured next time.
14203189017881.jpg

DGBAMA

Cool, rainy, and dreary today, but having the window of green in the house continues to provide an uplifting moral support.14203192393782.jpg

ArizonaDave

No wonder the Havana leaves were so good in person, they were stalk cured! Good thing to know, especially since I'm growing these this spring thanks to your generous seed pkg. and the Havana Leaves!!!

DGBAMA

No wonder the Havana leaves were so good in person, they were stalk cured! Good thing to know, especially since I'm growing these this spring thanks to your generous seed pkg. and the Havana Leaves!!!

Hope they do well for you Dave. Enjoy :)

Status
Not open for further replies.