Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Perique "red Burley" - green river burley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
St. James Perique is extremely rare, so the tobacco is produced elsewhere to meet demands, though without the same results. Kentucky Green River Burley is most commonly used to make Perique. This particular version is the Perique that most pipe smokers are familiar with.

The making of Perique At harvest time, the wilted leaves of the tobacco are hung up to dry for two weeks, stripped of hard veins, and packed into bundles (called torquettes). These torquettes are put into barrels under extreme pressure, and allowed to cure in their own juices (which collect as run-off at the top of the barrels). Over the course of many months, these bundles are periodically "turned", and then placed again under pressure in the barrels. Without any air to interact with the tobacco, Perique ferments anaerobically, producing the distinctive taste.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That is from the myth of Perique. In general, the pressure process, rather than the specific variety used (or where it is grown) determines the final product. The specific variety of tobacco grown in St. James Parish is not clear. There is a named "Perique" variety, though its provenance is unclear.

Wonderful Perique is fairly easy to make, and can be made from just about any variety.
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/2873-Really-Easy-Perique-Press

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Bob: I am absolutely convinced that you are right, just saw that Green River should be fine to just Perique. There are surely many other kinds as well as fit well, Maryland and so on. Perique that method, I myself intended to do by some of next year's harvest, now I know the one in here that probably could be of great help with this, do you know any good site where you can follow the step by step?

Status
Not open for further replies.