Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Any interest in an electric/manual destemmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Good thinking Don. Also, I have the shaft coupler and blades on order, we could see a demo unit in the next 2 weeks if I'm lucky. The electric motor was actually a lot cheaper than expected. I think the most expensive part was blades and the coupler!

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It won't be completely hands free as you will still need to feed the leaf, but if you can operate a paper shredder you should be fine operating this.

as as a reminder, this is still in the developmental stages, IF the design works I will have to put product through it to see if there are any issues and make sure the life time of the product is acceptable.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I need your guys' opinion.

I am at the crucial point in designing. There are a few options I want to know if you guys think I should install, as you all are potential users, I want to know if they're worth investing time into.

1. Thermal overload - this will momentarily turn off the motor (edited from engine, sorry ;)) if it gets too warm (over use)
2. Circuit breaker (instead of using a power strip with one built into it)
3. sensor to turn on/off the blades only if leaf is present (like the powermatic s)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I appreciate it. A lot of time and thought has gone into this design, I really hope it works well. Doing the math was half the battle, it "Should" have plenty enough power and speed to operate the orbital blade with plenty of left over power to feed the rollers.

I have gone through a few design ideas, and having gear driven parts just doesn't seem plausible for a decent price. I wouldn't want any crap gears in it, and small high quality ones cost a fortune.

So, I've decided direct drive will be the best. To control over heating (which will be the biggest concern compared to stripped gears) I WILL BE installing a self resetting thermostat. I won't be installing the "object present" sensor as I don't think it's necessary at this point.

pakidaho

Takes a bunch of focus and understanding to be able to look around all the corners in order to get it right the "first time". May wind up costing more to build it right, but a well made, dependable tool is well worth having. About the only thing I know about sensors is that my wife tells me I need to be more sensible and I doubt those two are related.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My business is called Da Vinci Plant Services for a reason ;)

We tend to over think everything to the point that it comes back around to being very simple.

This sensor I'll be installing makes it so you don't have to be tooooo sensible with the machine ;)

Update: I received the custom blades in the mail yesterday. I threw it on a low speed electric drill and it worked quite well, I can only imagine what this 1008 RPM will do

(scale is huge, the blades in reality are about 7/8")
dtsblade.jpg

rose

At our home we do enough tobacco for about a week.
It's very relaxing doing it by hand/the Zen of tobacco *smile*.
But for those doing 40#, yikes, that's a lot of smoking *grin*, I can see where this would have immense benefits.
I love that you are sourcing USA made.
The junk coming from China is just so sub par plus you help our floundering job market.

Kudos…many many kudos. I love to see consciousness in action.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Still working on it actually, we had a very quick move to a new location which had no work space set up. I've still got the 95% finished prototype boxes up.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Rainmax, I will have to locate a converter, the components I am using are actually quite low voltage high torque motors which are looking to be quite expensive if they need to handle 220V.

I have been working with an engineering buddy on a different design that will do away with the spinning knives (which may dull or jam easily) and replacing them with a stationary cutting tooth. The leaf is then pulled past the knife removing the stem as well as cutting a clean edge on the leaf.

one feature which will be really nice on the version 2 concept is an adjustable cutting width (a simple wing nut will be loosened and moved to desired width). Because the knives are stationary, there will be no need to have a carrier to carry the spinning knife module.

I'm planning on working to finish this model very soon, just waiting on a motor to show up for it.

Freeotatv

Whats the target sale price point for electric and manual?...

also what are the dims...similiar to powermatic shredder or something longer..?.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Target retail price at this point is $115 but that is open for change until it's working.

Dimensions are about the size of an at-home food vacuum sealer. Such as a seal a meal.

ArizonaDave

That's a pretty good price point. I am looking forward to Don's variety as well, which he said would be in, in time for Christmas. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but have 2 in the family that are, and I wouldn't mind making some mini cigars for when it's cold outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.