Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

2014 Knucklehead Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Your wife will not see much of you, but she can teach my wife a little bit. I'm trying in every way shirk but oh no she always finds me and tells me to first do a lot of other things. Life is not fair.How much of every kind have you thought?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good luck this year Knucks. You have lost your Mind.:):)

I'm not crazy. Mama had me tested. crazy sign.gif

Your wife will not see much of you, but she can teach my wife a little bit. I'm trying in every way shirk but oh no she always finds me and tells me to first do a lot of other things. Life is not fair.How much of every kind have you thought?

I'll grow at least three of each variety. Probably more of the Orientals.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Oh well, I've been meaning to do this in year 1 topped 1 not topped and 1 I takes seed from, maybe 2. Then some who just may be, there is always someone who wants to have some and it is so fun to test each variety separately and there after make a mixture. A little job to keep track of what's what all the time but it's a fun job.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey Knucklehead ? Do You have help topping and bagging the tops? Always looking forward seeing Your plants.

I was able to reach everything from the four wheeler last year. I used a 16" plant spacing which may have helped to keep them shorter though I can't be sure cause I used an 8' row spacing so I could drive the four wheeler between rows. The late planting and almost daily rain did influence the size. I'll see what happens this year with the weather and a normal planting date. I have no idea how big some of the plants I'm growing for seed will get, but for my personal grows I'm selecting shorter plants that still produce heavily.

Nikfits

That's the thing about having variety. There is an endless amount of blends you can do. Especially when it comes to pipe tobacco. The ones I don't have yet, I'm gonna order from Skychaser. 401 Cherry Red, Prilep, Pergeu Brazil and Madole. You know that feeling when you walk into Home Depot and you have to close your eyes when walking by TOOLS? That reminds me of "Tobacco Seeds" now. With those 4 my list will be at 38. I do believe I'm gonna split it somewhere. Ones that mature in the 50 - 60 day range, I may swap them out for another 50 - 60 day maturity range. I think your "frost free" season is about the same as mine (198 days)? I'm not saying you should do the same by any means.

I used Deluxestogies Excel Worksheet. It helped to get all the heights, leaf sizes and other information together in one place. It was from there that I created a graph from "OpenOffice". I'm taking advice to plant higher growing plants to the north side of the smaller plants. And in the graph, spacing them out in rows by height, space, and some by type. I may use the tall growing African Red to shade some of the Cigar Wrappers. The information, I gathered from Grin, seed sites, and pictures of leaf size. That's a job in itself. Still working on the rows, lol. I don't know how many times I re-started on that. When I start my Grow Log I may take a snapshot of the chart and how I figured the quantities out. The other thing on that Excel Worksheet is leaf count, very helpful - but may not be totally reliable? That information isn't in there. I'll also use it to size up my own grow experience. All in all, it helps to get started and track your own progress. Now will I remember to track my own (counting leaves - hmmm)?

But for heights, maybe I can help to find that info? I know some of it is unknown. Got a few of those. My spacing is at 8" - 9" Oriental/Turkish, 18", 20", and 24". I saw somewhere on how it a general rule for certain variety types but not always so. I can get to blabbing, so excuse me for that sometimes, lol.

Gary

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Keep me out of the tool section or I'll never make it to the garden center!

I pretty much know what I'll grow for myself when that time rolls around again. I'm up to my eyeballs in a seed grow out this year. I'll just smoke whatever leaf byproduct I get. deluxestogie keeps some very scientific records. I'm envious of his energy. Record keeping would have been a useless exercise for me last year. The almost daily rain put the plants into a dormant state for a long time. 150 Days to Maturity for TN90? A late start and early frost meant harvesting leaf that was barely mature on many varieties. It took me almost a month to get everything planted in my last patch between the rains. The transplant dates were all over the place. What I would like to do record wise this year is track the growth habits, production, suckering and bug control problems in certain varieties, the ease of curing, and the taste of the finished product. Less scientific data, but info that describes how well the plant did for me and whether I would grow it again or recommend it to someone. Something along the lines of the descriptions Skychaser has on his seed site.

ne3go

Hey Knucks, huge variety of seeds! Good luck my friend!
Keeping detailed records is hard, just the taste of the final product is good enough for me.Still have a long way to write down that record! How was your last year's tobacco?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey Knucks, huge variety of seeds! Good luck my friend!
Keeping detailed records is hard, just the taste of the final product is good enough for me.Still have a long way to write down that record! How was your last year's tobacco?

Last years tobacco is still aging. I don't have a kiln. I sampled a few varieties and they smoked well but I could tell they needed further aging. I'm still smoking Don's aged leaf on a regular basis until mine has some more age to it. Good luck with your season this year!

DGBAMA

I think if I could get leaf as cheap as you guys off Don...I don't know if id bother growing any at all...maybe just for the bank

If it makes you feel better; keep telling yourself that.:rolleyes:

I could do a couple side jobs in a weekend and get enough leaf from Don for Months, yet I still have seeds started that will need almost daily attention for the entire summer. I keep telling myself I am saving $$. Its more than a time v. money thing; even though that IS why i started growing.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think if I could get leaf as cheap as you guys off Don...I don't know if id bother growing any at all...maybe just for the bank

I agree 100%. I think whole leaf is cheaper and definitely less work involved. I'll quit growing next year. lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I estimated, a couple of years back, that I was averaging about $7-$8 expense per pound of cured whole leaf. This does not count labor (which, of course, is "of love"). No $1000 chambers and fancy grow lights. Just the basics. So, small-scale home growing is about half as much per pound as purchasing whole leaf. BUT, it often takes two or three years of growing to begin to reliably produce high quality leaf.

I think that by your 2nd year of growing, you begin to break even, compared to purchasing whole leaf. By year 3, you should be home free. (Still, though, you do your own labor for free, and the quality is entirely on your shoulders.) AND, you just can't buy some of the wonderful varieties that you can grow.

Bob

jekylnz

I agree with all you guys have said. ..there's nothing like growing so many different varieties yourself. .trying them out..knowing what's produced was all you...and its also very addictive. .even just being apart of ftt..I don't think I could miss out a year growing now..
But the price you guys pay for whole leaf..is some good cheap baccy..free shipping etc..it costs me approx $15usd($18nzd) per lb. To get it shipped down here. ..basically the price of the tobacco again. .

Brown Thumb

I could buy five or more bales off Don and be set for life but what Fun is that.
I would have no use for my Toys then and a reason to get away from you know who.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Seeded half of my flats tonight. 36 varieties. I'll do the other 36 varieties tomorrow night. Boboro recommended staggering my plantings. ;)

Leverhead and I compared notes and we had some duplicate varieties in our grow out, so I eliminated most of the duplicates and added the cigar varieties from Cuba I got from the GRIN group request. Thanks Jessica!! They were mostly classed as orientals or primitives, but from the pictures I decided to reclassify them as "cigar" until I can figure out what they are best used for, filler, binder, or wrapper. The pictures don't look like orientals. Here's my new list:

Variety
PI
Class
Origin
N126burley
N777burley
N88burley
KY 908596277burley
VA 510burley
KY 10552446burley
Harrow Velvet552650burley
TN 86552522burley
Italianflue cure
Yellow Orinoko552783flue cure
Speight G28551318flue cure
Speight G70552497flue cure
SP 172flue cure
Coker 176551294flue cure
Coker 319552426flue cure
NC 82551311flue cure
NC 95552380flue cure
Coker 371 Gold552524flue cure
GL 737flue cure
K 149549109flue cure
NC 79551310flue cure
120513120513flue cureTurkey
Hicks552373flue cure
Adiyaman494145oriental
Tekkekoyoriental
Krumovgrad 90orientalBulgaria
Krumovgrad 988orientalBulgaria
Prilep P66-9/7orientalMacedonia
Mutki494159orientalTurkey
Izmir-LebaneseorientalLebanon
Japan 8orientalUkraine
DT 518dark
DT 592dark
M&Ndark
Vincent Harris Madole552773dark
Hastings552375dark
Little Sweet Orinoco552376dark
Lizard Tail Orinocodark
Shireydark
Small Stalk Black Mammothdark
Walker's Broadleaf552374dark
VA 355604198dark
Narrow Leaf Madole552710dark fire/air
Little Crittendendark fire/air
TND 950dark fire
TR Madole (Tom Rosson)552764dark fire
VA 409552508dark sun
VA 407557005dark sun
Eschly #1maryland
Pennbel 69552404maryland
Mackmaryland
Maryland 609552452maryland
Improved Narrow Leafmaryland
Isleta Pueblorustica
Mahorka #6 Yellow #109rusticaRussia
Nicotiana amplexicaulis271989otherAustralia
Hacienda del CurafillerCanary Islands
Amarillo Parado377898fillerDominican Republic
Colombian Garcia405672fillerColombia
La Palma HavanafillerCanary Islands
Criollo (Ti 1376 )405646cigarCuba
404935404935cigarCuba
404951404951cigarCuba
#6055405645cigarCuba
Coroja405643cigarCuba
Remedios405667cigarCuba
Little Cuba405669cigarCuba
0-40wrapper
AST552585wrapperSumatra
Java BezukiwrapperJava/Indonesia
Timor405659wrapperJava/Indonesia
Brasil Dunkelwrapper

Markw

That is a mighty fine list you have there Knucks. It will be interesting to see if the two strains from La Palma are the same. Lets hope the weather gods are kind to us all this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That is a mighty fine list you have there Knucks. It will be interesting to see if the two strains from La Palma are the same. Lets hope the weather gods are kind to us all this year.

I'm really interested in those also. Have you smoked any of the La Palma Havana yet or is it still aging?

leverhead

...Lets hope the weather gods are kind to us all this year.

My little technician came by this weekend to check the progress of the seedlings, she said that is was going to be a good year for tobacco. She's 6 now, as qualified as anybody to forecast the weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.