Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Toasted or cavendish ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojjas

I have been busy since christmas with experimentation with my tobacco leafs , different methods have been used in different ways , this is some of what i have been doing ,i was thinking of an alternative method to make cavendish , a method who does not need for so much surveillance ,as in this thread by deluxestogie (http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads...ndish-Pipe-Tobacco?highlight=making+cavendish ) should it be called stoved or cavendish or stovendish:D:confused:

Any way i just soaked the leafs (soggy) and put them in an ovenproof lunch box with an air thight lid ( moist must stay inside the box), and let them stay in for 24 hours in 90°C (194 F)

The first picture , lemon virginia (from Don) soaked with water, right after i take it out of the oven after 24 hours (what aroma , i wish it was possible to transfer the scent with the post)

Before and after , middle picture

Bottom picture , burley to the left, (lemon virginia to the right) needed 48 hours in 90°C to get them brown as showed in the picture , if 10% sugar added in 100gr of water they became more black , but it will be a sweeter taste and i like the burley taste as it will be by this process

Attachments

• 20140214_170640.jpg
    20140214_170640.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 228
  • 20140214_170746.jpg
    20140214_170746.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 218
  • 20140214_170932.jpg
    20140214_170932.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 232

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Great job!! I'm looking forward to your taste test. Now come up with a way to do that in a microwave for 5 minutes. lol

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's an interesting alternative to a steaming pot or a pressure cooker. The leaf is poached. For those who expect to add a casing to their Black Cavendish, this might just be a simpler solution.

Are you saying that the container was able to retain moisture for 24 hours, so that the leaf was still soaked when you opened it?

Bob

Markw

Hi Jojjas I like the slow method of cooking the leaf at just under boiling point. and also adding the casings to the liquid. I tried this in the crock pot but If you can get an old Barco boiler over there you can hang the whole leafs in it, and leave it on all day. I have noticed that hanging the leafs gives a far better finished result.

holyRYO

I would call that "stoved" method. Have read about it in the pipe forums. Basically steaming moist tobacco in its own juices with semi sealed containers. They typically use canning jars. If I was going to try the jar method, I would put the lid on loose enough that pressure would be released but still hold in most of the moisture.

I have "stoved" WLT Red Virginia (old stock, machine harvested) in sealed foil packets with good results. I add a few drops of water first, comes out medium case in the end. Do mine in 225 F oven for two hours, basically half way to cavendish, turns mohogany colored with black streaks. Developes sweet cooked fruit like taste, like pie, and much smoother. Downside is that it does not burn as well, so I blend it.

Ishi

Bought a Krupp veg/rice steamer at Salvation Army. It has a 30 min timer on it and you have to fill it each time you set the timer. After about 3 hrs the juice got so thick that you had to stop and clean it and start with fresh water. I think I lost a lot of nicotine with it.

jojjas

Great job!! I'm looking forward to your taste test. Now come up with a way to do that in a microwave for 5 minutes. lol

Yeah Knucks, me to , if you got any ideas for 5min microwave method ,please let me know ;):eek::D

That's an interesting alternative to a steaming pot or a pressure cooker. The leaf is poached. For those who expect to add a casing to their Black Cavendish, this might just be a simpler solution.

Are you saying that the container was able to retain moisture for 24 hours, so that the leaf was still soaked when you opened it?

Bob
Yepp Bob , the moist stay inside the box , but of course that steam pressure who is build upp will leak out , and should i also ad that i check it once or twice during this "coocking" and turn the leafs around and if needed, spray a little water on them (just in case) . And like holyRYO says the down side get not so effected with this method so an mixing around them after couple of hours is recomended

I'm also wondering about this.
Hey istanbulin ,you could find a similar lunchbox who will work the same way here
http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/!tw$shop.p_category?pv_ic_code=4000
just to chose size and colour

This is not to be ment as an exactley method , just get you to be inspired to try an alternativ method and maybe develop new methods who is to be an advantage for all of us
Mikael

jojjas

" And like holyRYO says the down side get not so effected with this method so an mixing around them after couple of hours is recomended"

This is not to be ment as an exactley method , just get you to be inspired to try an alternativ method and maybe develop new methods who is to be an advantage for all of us
Mikael[/QUOTE]

Sorry RYO about this
Reading to fast , understanding to slow , i see now that you meant burn rate :D

holyRYO

jojjas, we know what you meant :)

Did not mention that mine was shredded first, it darkened evenly without stirring.

Matty

So, if I "steamed" tobacco in canning jars at under boiling temp, is it called stoving? I'm near the end of a "project" related to this "stovendish" and am wondering what to call it.

Matty

SO... here are some pics! The first is of my setup, jars in a pot of boiling water. Second pic is virginia red flue cured from WLT's first batch after 2.5 hours. Third pic is of virginia lemon, again from WLT's first batch after 3 hours.

I put the leaf, low case, into the jars. I added about a teaspoon of distilled water. Lids were put on loose and then into the pot of boiling water with a lid on the pot. I took each jar out every half hour for a look and to shake-up the contents, replacing the lids and returning them to the pot. I stopped after they had darkened and smelled of cooked apples. The cooked apple smell is unreal, my whole apartment smells like I'm baking pies. Taste testing to come later.

Attachments

• 2014-02-21 22.05.34.jpg
    2014-02-21 22.05.34.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 2014-02-21 22.07.33.jpg
    2014-02-21 22.07.33.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 125
  • 2014-02-21 22.08.23.jpg
    2014-02-21 22.08.23.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 125

Matty

Tried out the baccy I made yesterday. Tastes good, smells good and actually burns pretty good too. Tried it in the pipe on it's own and in a blend, I was getting flavors and smells very similar to storebought pipe tobacco just without all the casings.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tried out the baccy I made yesterday. Tastes good, smells good and actually burns pretty good too. Tried it in the pipe on it's own and in a blend, I was getting flavors and smells very similar to storebought pipe tobacco just without all the casings.

It's really good to see that much change in only 2.5 - 3 hours. I'll have to give that a try. I was worried about nursing a stew for a whole day. I guess what needs to be done now is the 8 hrs. in a pressure cooker, 3 hrs. your way and 24 hrs. like jojjas did in a side by side comparison. Hmmm, sounds like a job for the stogie man. (hint,hint)

Matty

It is quite interesting. The pics don't do the real colors justice, most of the leaf ended up pitch black looking more like firecured. The process was easy to manage being that there was no need to replenish the boiling water. Being in the jars helped keep the flavors and nicotine in the leaf instead of being washed away. Next time I'll try a flavoring in with the leaf in the jar. I'm gonna try darkening some cigar wrappers too.

holyRYO

It is quite interesting. The pics don't do the real colors justice, most of the leaf ended up pitch black looking more like firecured. The process was easy to manage being that there was no need to replenish the boiling water. Being in the jars helped keep the flavors and nicotine in the leaf instead of being washed away. Next time I'll try a flavoring in with the leaf in the jar. I'm gonna try darkening some cigar wrappers too.

You should get the same result putting the jars in the oven at 225 F, for about the same time.

Smokin Harley

Ive got Little Dutch, Madole ,Virginia Gold and Criollo98 (all from 2015) in short jars in a pot of water on the stove right now. Experimenting with a little stovetop cavendish. The Dutch I added a couple squirts of the same "Jack Daniels ,Coffee infused rum and Buffalo Trace bourbon" cocktail I added to the perique carrotte I wrapped a month or so ago. The other 3 only got about a tablespoon of distilled water. Time will tell what i get...

Status
Not open for further replies.