Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Steel Containers - For Curing Chamber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikfits

I found these on Craigslist. I have not purchased these. They are local to where I live. I'm curious as to how much leaf one could hold. Also, I was thinking two of these could possibly be clamped together - one on top of the other. I'm sure I've seen these type of clamps before. The top has two closeable holes (with caps). I was thinking of Deluxestogies Cozy Can.

The bottom of the top barrel can be drilled out and/or fitted with a fan in the center, with holes around the outer area for directional circulation. Air flow up for fan and the outer - spaced holes would have a flow downward to the sides of the can (inside of course). Add Crock to the bottom. Fit a water heater thermostat.

00D0D_if2NWsMT7Fd_600x450.jpg
00707_gQI7gRe6PEl_600x450.jpg

They are 55 Gallon Barrels that have been used once for sugar and corn syrup (23" x 35" with removable lid and lockable clamp). :cool:

00d0d_gsdmHUw5n9G_600x450.jpg

Trying to stay a few steps ahead. I don't wanna wait till harvest to build a kiln. Yeah, I'm gonna be impatient when it comes to wanting to smoke my own.

If these can't be stacked then it may be possible to connect them side to side with pipes, but I do like the stacked version idea. Given that the circulation may be improved due to heat rising and less space will be taken up. These could also be wrapped with insulation, like the "Cozy Can". By the way, Deluxestoggie, I think that was the perfect name for your build. The price of these are 2 for $50.00 and are food grade.

Edit:
* I hope I posted this in the right place...

DGBAMA

Not sure how well linking 2 together would be for getting uniform results but the drums are perfect for a little larger version of the "cozy can". May be better off to build 2 separate units if you need the space. How many plants will you be growing? IIRC Bob's holds about 50 leaves per batch, so those barrels should do 75 ish? Priming in increments of 3 leaves per plant you could keep up with 25 plants priming once a week (flue cure). Kilning, it would hold a lot more per batch since the leaves can be piled instead of hung individually.

Nikfits

I figured someone had done been there and done it. If I go with using this, I plan on adding mine to the bunch. I'm gonna check out the links. I've read a number of them, but managed to miss the two you provided (so much to read on - that's what I like about this site). The second link is what I'd like to find.

Not sure how well linking 2 together would be for getting uniform results but the drums are perfect for a little larger version of the "cozy can". May be better off to build 2 separate units if you need the space. How many plants will you be growing? IIRC Bob's holds about 50 leaves per batch, so those barrels should do 75 ish? Priming in increments of 3 leaves per plant you could keep up with 25 plants priming once a week (flue cure). Kilning, it would hold a lot more per batch since the leaves can be piled instead of hung individually.

I've got a good bit of seeds to work with (about 34 varieties - I was Knuckleheaded @ around 17) and seen some others that I really want that I'll need to order. Still working on exactly what and how I should do that. The area grew to 20' x 40' plus two smaller areas aside the house. I'm thinking to spread out the grow between the ones that mature around 50 - 60 days. My frost free growing season is 196 days, so that may be the route I go.

Somehow I keep getting the two mixed up? Flue Cure and Kiln... If anything, to have one of both would be better? I am into smoking cigarettes, cigars and the pipe. If I had my own leaf for cigars it would probably slow me down on cigs. I'm a pack a day guy and there are others here too that smoke. I am very much interested in making my own pipe blends too.

Gary

DGBAMA

The "cozy can" setup can be used for both Flue Curing and Kilning. Kilning only requires enough heat to reach 120-125deg; Kilning needs to be able to reach 160 so often requires a bigger heat source.

Flue Cure is a 5-7 day cycle starting with "as harvested"/ripe leaf. Generally used for "brightleaf" varieties. Smokable at the end of the cycle.
Kilning is an accelerated aging process; one month kiln = approximately 1 year of natural aging.

leverhead

I have the Tee shirt for that one. For a forced draft set-up, it's too hard to get the leaves racked or hung in a round container. The leaf density is lower in a natural draft set-up like the Cozy Can, so some of the problems don't exist or aren't that bad to work with. I've stacked them two high, it's not very simple to do. Getting something resembling a sealed joint will take allot of patience. It needs to be rugged too, loading leaf from a ladder is tough after you've been at it for several hours.

For a plus sized Cozy Can, it might do very well. The drums are taller, a good thing for Virginia leaves. I've thought about giving it a try for flue-curing Turkish varieties, it would be a good size for that and I already have the parts.

My consumption rate is about two packs a day, two 55 gallon drums are just too small to do the job well. The refrigerator that replaced my drum(s) is almost too big and would be better with one door on an end rather than the two doors on the front. The rack that AmaxB made impressed me, in 2015 I might give that a try in a purpose built cabinet.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Please note that leverheads refrigerator is a refrigerator Magnum, rather than the standard load. :rolleyes:

Nikfits

Shew wee, I feel kinda dizzy. I just went on a Ranco hunt which ended with a nightmare of dozens of electronics. One thing to another - ever done that? I thought I learned my lessen from searches like that.
I had this page open, and about two dozen others. My brain said stop. It took a while to get there, rofl...
So, I wasn't ignoring the responses here.

Nikfits

Thanks for the help. I believe I got my answer to the question. I think I'm getting on the side of building something that will do both "Flue Cure and Kiln".

The "cozy can" setup can be used for both Flue Curing and Kilning. Kilning only requires enough heat to reach 120-125deg; Kilning needs to be able to reach 160 so often requires a bigger heat source.

Flue Cure is a 5-7 day cycle starting with "as harvested"/ripe leaf. Generally used for "brightleaf" varieties. Smokable at the end of the cycle.
Kilning is an accelerated aging process; one month kiln = approximately 1 year of natural aging.

I know I've seen that explained in here somewhere. It's the process of getting it carved into my noggin. Thank you for explaining.

I have the Tee shirt for that one. For a forced draft set-up, it's too hard to get the leaves racked or hung in a round container. The leaf density is lower in a natural draft set-up like the Cozy Can, so some of the problems don't exist or aren't that bad to work with. I've stacked them two high, it's not very simple to do. Getting something resembling a sealed joint will take allot of patience. It needs to be rugged too, loading leaf from a ladder is tough after you've been at it for several hours.

For a plus sized Cozy Can, it might do very well. The drums are taller, a good thing for Virginia leaves. I've thought about giving it a try for flue-curing Turkish varieties, it would be a good size for that and I already have the parts.

My consumption rate is about two packs a day, two 55 gallon drums are just too small to do the job well. The refrigerator that replaced my drum(s) is almost too big and would be better with one door on an end rather than the two doors on the front. The rack that AmaxB made impressed me, in 2015 I might give that a try in a purpose built cabinet.

The height would turn into a problem stacked, I can see that. I saw the build Amax did. It was impressive. I'd like to do something on a smaller scale than that (a little easier on the wallet). If I had the money, I'd do it for sure. I've been trying to think of things to use that can be salvaged. I've seen someone mention using the coils from a dryer to other things. So my mind is working too, lol. Leverhead, there is something I thought of... (may not work) while I was reading the thread on your build from the barrel to the refrigeration unit. The 350 watt coil you were using, turned out not to work well for you? Someone mentioned a Coleman grill (I think that's what it was without looking back). What about an electric range element (top grill)? I don't know how much power just one would need as far as not over doing it for the size of wire. It would have to be retro-fitted into something. Just a thought. They connect to a ceramic receptacle, I think the mounting piece is built into it. Probably would need to modify it some. Just thinking... Then there is the control knob for each grill. Hmmm... Still thinking, lol. May not go anywhere, but got another thought (which, I'm sure someone has already had?). Ovens have their own thermostats and the control knob to go with it. Like I said, just thinking.

Thanks for all the help.

Gary

DGBAMA

Gary, I built mine last year in a rush and on a near zero budget, I will have a few revisions this year, mostly better door sealing; but happy with the results.

Details and Ideas for you HERE.

leverhead

I don't want to be mean, but if I'm reading this right... If you can't figure Amps and wire size, you probably shouldn't be doing this, at least this way. If you have to stay within a budget, follow the pattern of the Cozy Can. Even if you decide to scale it up, the parts and their price are predictable. The perfect flue-cure set-up for the home grower, that can be sized for any need or budget, hasn't been invented yet.

Open coils, like from a blow dryer are dangerous! Early in the cure cycle, when the humidity is high they "leak" to anything conductive nearby, wasting energy. If it draws an arc, they'll burn out. Enclosed coils are the way to go, cook top elements are good. Last year I used two electric charcoal starters from WallyMart, about $20 each and they fit inside a 4" flue pipe. Combined they gave me about 1kW to work with, I cut off the plugs, wire nutted and tapped the connection. For the refrigerator, they were just about the right amount of heat.

Nikfits

I got some experience in that area. I was posting my thoughts before checking into anything. Just posed an idea. I'm in the jack of all trades category. When it comes to wiring a room or adding a circuit (I'm a real stickler). Can't stand to see an open tap (most older homes you'll find them everywhere). There are a few things I'm rusty in - converting watts to amps, etc. I love working with wood. One thing I've never done that I would like to is welding. I've dabbled in a bit of everything. If I haven't done it before - I can figure it out. Research on the internet goes a long way. You could learn things easier than twenty years ago with the net (but you still got to watch what your checking out - youtube). Other things I've done: Tile work, drywall, electrical (some commercial), from footings to the build (housing), plumbing, Kitchens and bathrooms, siding, brickwork, appliances, decks (arbors too), carpeting not an expert in all but have the knowledge. I also learned early on - safety before anything, that's before and after. In the end, it was basements. When I was reading Amax's build I was thinking - put some tile in it. I had thought about it before when thinking of building a box. Then a few pages down I see him installing backer board for tile. On Craigslist - with some patience some of those tile guys get so much leftover material (they'll give it away). Today or tomorrow I'll be picking up some pavers (the guy has a number of pallets of it). I asked him if he had anything that would work good for a fire pit. He said he's got enough for 5 or 6 truckloads and there's material good enough for one. Heck yeah, lol. Yeah, it's in the back of my mind, fire curing hee hee - though I don't know too much on that. Been looking into so many different things on here. As for a fire pit, there's nothing like the taste of cooking over a pit with natural wood. Don't like the gas grills. I've always wanted to build a brick one (had the opportunity once to build one). I did enough work for a guy for him to allow me to do things I've never done before. It all came down to the home owners association rejecting it for the "location". It wasn't a small project. I Love tackling stuff like that. Just thinking back about something here... One guy did all the extra work he wanted to do (all to do with timing here). An idea for some folks. When a subdivision is at it's completion date or near, there is a transition time when it's goes from the builder to the Homeowners Association (there are some picky people out there). For this guy, he used this to his advantage. Before it went into the H.A. he had a fence put up that "he" wanted. And had me to build his wife an arbor - the way she wanted it and where she wanted it. The H.A. couldn't do a thing. A subdivision with a home owners association is not for me. If I had it my way, there wouldn't be a house for a mile. Love having woods surrounding me. Country living.

I'm not good with remembering the names of some parts. I don't know why, I can picture it - but just never get the word in my head sometimes. The grill that I haven't looked into, I was asking whether it might be something that would work for you. It just crossed my mind while reading, but I see that that is what was basically mentioned. In my mind, I was thinking about one of those sitting inside a plenum (right word?) covered from exposure to moisture. And the air flow around it (the plenum or housing) will distribute the heat. This is just thinking without checking it out. And the electrical parts will have to be protected (of course). I think even where you could unplug it.

I do like what you came up with:

Last year I used two electric charcoal starters from WallyMart, about $20 each and they fit inside a 4" flue pipe. Combined they gave me about 1kW to work with, I cut off the plugs, wire nutted and tapped the connection.

That's basically what I was thinking about, but with stove elements. (I hadn't read all of the second link Deluxestogie provided) My thinking with the stove element is that as a single piece, it wouldn't draw as much as the whole stove would require. I have a gas stove so I couldn't just lift the lid to check under the hood. While thinking about that... Each one of the dials on an electric stove control temperature (manually). Maybe that could be of some kind of use to someone? Just some ideas to look into. The oven always has (or most) the temperature settings on the knobs. This may have already been mentioned somewhere. I'm unsure if it was. Just an idea that may interest someone. And I agree, this is an area people need to be careful with. I've seen a few guys tightening up the screws in a disconnect for ac units slip up touching the tool against where it should not and POP!!! No more screw driver (may have been cutters)... (they failed to check if it was hot or - I'm guilty with this on 15 & 20 amp -> worked on it knowing it was. I get brain farts so excuse me for those.

Gary

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
10g THHN will work on two stove top coils. use a grounded cord to the brl and housing, plug it in a 20 amp GFCI and if it gets wet no problem. Use bare terminals on the coils w/ the fire prof sleaves only (not heat shrink) You can find them on an old stove. The wire is rated at 30 amp w/90 degc temp out side. You can controle the GFCI via temp probe. all 120vac 1 ph. Did that help?
Or You can get a hot air cooker that blows the heat down that has the fan, temp cont. and timer in it out of the kitchen Mama don't use. (convection I think) HUM? I have 2 brl kilns and they hold very little may give it a thought to the quantity You want to run.

Nikfits

Ha ha!!! Ran into some luck today...

I went to Lowe's to get a couple more seed starter trays and the Miracle Grow starter soil. My list grew a little (good reasons). I've been asking the guy there if he has any trays (from outside gardening). And he told me to check in the back and I'd be better off to drive around. That was the last time I went there. I forgot to check at the time. When I went there today I rode around back first. Low and behold, there was a side by side fridge (not sure of the size yet). No trays, but felt better about the fridge. When I went inside the manager told me I could take it. She also asked if I wouldn't mind taking the dishwasher too. I'm guessing someone just dropped them off recently. I was thinking about how I'd get it in my van. So I was silent for a second. Then she said, "how about a 40% off discount towards your purchase? If you do." I had some things in my basket. Lol, I already wanted it, I was just trying to figure out how I was gonna do it. So I was able to get some other things I needed for the 4x8 florescent fixtures I have. So while it was there I grabbed it. If I decide to go with something else I'll just scrap it out for the money. It's an older model and the inside is sheet metal (I think). I won't get much out of the dishwasher, but the discount helped. And I can get whatever might be in there that's worthwhile.

Can't beat free so for now I may try to go with this. And I betcha something else will come up... (the only problem is I think I read somewhere that this may not work for flue cure because of the higher temps?)

Or You can get a hot air cooker that blows the heat down that has the fan, temp cont. and timer in it out of the kitchen Mama don't use. (convection I think)

Sounds like a Nuwave. I have one of those, but it's sort of new - I think I'd turn into a dead man. But, a used one from the Goodwill may do the trick. I have thought about that. It would seem like it would work. They are built to handle the moisture levels.

Gary

DGBAMA

If its a metal interior, you did good; will flue cure fine. Some modern fridges the inside is various types of plastic/pvc/urethane. PVC in particular can offgass some nasty stuff if too hot, right about the upper threshhold of flue curing temps.

Nikfits

Just went down in the garage to double check. It's all metal. An old one and in good shape. I think this thing is the heaviest fridge I've dealt with out of about 50 I scrapped out a year and a half ago. Had to have the boys help to get it in the garage. I've got a bad back, one thing I'm not looking forward to. Left leg sciatic is permanently damaged and working in on the right. So I get help when I need to. I need to see what I can do to get a picture. Tonight, I'll be gutting it out. I know it'll be a slow process, I'll need to get parts here and there. I'm hoping I can take out the middle section and seal it up where it gets removed. And not have a problem with the doors after the fact. But it feels solid and strong. Hmmm, maybe one side for cold beers and the other for the tobacco? ROFL! Just kidding there, not much of a beer drinker. I do like Jack though, he's a cool guy. He may not be over for a while though?

That other thread is making me feel sorta guilty for rambling on, lol.

Gary

leverhead

The Dish washer should have a drying element, weather or not it works is another story. Check it for continuity and make a note of the resistance, that will give you an idea of the wattage. It will probably be 120V. Nice find, take some pictures.

Nikfits

Been in the garage all day working on my florescent fixtures and tearing into the fridge. Got some pictures. I took out the compressor and fan from the bottom (fan was locked up and caused the compressor to burn out). Kinda hoped the fan motor would still be good for whatever other project I might run into. I capped off all the wires and left the plug in tack (left it unplugged). Never know, might could use the wiring. The lights work on both sides. Not sure whether they'll be used because of humidity? Least while I'm working on it I'll have light.

I'm not sure about taking the middle section out or just cutting the top half out. Looks like if I do take it completely out it will mess with the doors? I'll figure that out when I dig into it some more. The inserts for the doors will probably need to come out... plastic. I saw where someone else had done the same. I haven't gotten into the dishwasher yet. I did check it out some. I have a feeling it may still be in working order? The copper tubing had a hole in it as if it froze then busted. If it's good then someone just went ahead and got a new one thinking it wasn't any good (leaking bad). Happens. Looks like it may be a year or two old.

I just tried to upload some pictures. It says their too large. I think I got the quality set too high. I'll have to take some more tomorrow. I was gonna try to downsize them, but the programs I have don't seem to have that option.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.