Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Red Virginia process

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojjas

I have read this thread, a couple of times now , (just to understand it right :p)
http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/173-Another-Flue-Curing-process
And now to my question , how does the process for flue curing red virginia , and for that mather lemon virginia take place
As i became very fond of red virginia , i thinking of to flue cure parts of my virginia harvest to a similar end product , if its possible
I know that the answer are in this excellent forum and their distinguished members can help me with this question

Cherio
Mikael

istanbulin

Founding Member
As I know (theoretically), the aim of flue-curing (basicly) is obtaining lemon (L) to orange (F) colored/cured leaves. Because of variable leaf colors and smoking characters in a single curing system, they're classified according to leaf color (and some other specifications) and found different usage in blends. If you want to make your leaves reddish you may raise the tempreature higher (a little higher than 73.8 C / 165 F) during stem drying.

leverhead

Kilning seems to bring out more red color in leaf that has already been flue-cured, it changes the flavor also. I Sun-cured a little bit of Southern Beauty last year, it finished with allot of red too.

Bex

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but could you expound on the idea of kilning flue cured leaf? And aside from making sure that the leaf is ripe, what is the final temp that needs to be obtained for red Virginia? Is it only a temp hike for of higher than 165F when you are drying the midrib? I'd love to give a bit of zing to the normally mild Virginia, if I could....

DonH

Sorry, I know this is an old thread, but could you expound on the idea of kilning flue cured leaf? And aside from making sure that the leaf is ripe, what is the final temp that needs to be obtained for red Virginia? Is it only a temp hike for of higher than 165F when you are drying the midrib? I'd love to give a bit of zing to the normally mild Virginia, if I could....
If you want stronger flavored Virginia, I would just let the leaves ripen more on the plant. Higher flue curing temps wouldn't make mild leaves strong flavored, just darker and more burnt tasting. Let them ripen until the leaves are hoary with lots of yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.