Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Israel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe Kassirer

Hello all.

I'm from Israel. And I'm rolling my own cigars.
I bought a local tobacco leaves here in Israel (and also from USA).
The local tobacco is made for cigarette, and go thru Air-Cured only.

Can someone please Identify what type of tobacco is? (i guess: Oriental - Samsun Canik or Samsun Maden)
its 14 In long.

I rolled few cigars from those leaves and it was not so bad, a bit wet... but i don't know if its a good leaf for cigars...

Thank you.
:)

leaf10.jpgleaf11.jpg

bonehead

welcome aboard. i hope you can identify your leaf. it is an interesting and rewarding hoby to get into. have fun.

Moshe Kassirer

Thank you!
I know this link Knucklehead, it's hard to tell...
Maybe I'll moisturize some leaves and take a photo again.

I just wonder how bad it could be to roll cigars from these leaves that don't go over fermentation and ageing.
(For me is more cheaper and accessible tobacco.)

Thanks.

winston-smoker

Thank you for that!

I think this is the tabacco i have from local growth:
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Maryland-609-1MD609.htm

Welcome, Moshe!

When I first saw your picture, based on the shape of the leaf, I also thought it was Maryland. The color looked a little faded to be Maryland, though (maybe moisturizing it will give a better indication of its color) ... I suppose there could be other tobacco varietals that have similarly shaped leaves?

Moshe Kassirer

Welcome, Moshe!

When I first saw your picture, based on the shape of the leaf, I also thought it was Maryland. The color looked a little faded to be Maryland, though (maybe moisturizing it will give a better indication of its color) ... I suppose there could be other tobacco varietals that have similarly shaped leaves?

The moment I saw the Maryland i know it is the same, also the color. my photo is a bit fade.

Is Maryland is a kind or type of leaf? or its come from other father? (mine is low in Nicotine, mild body)

Moshe Kassirer

Thank you for the link. do you know how bad it could be to roll it in a cigar?
(and Im not talking just about taste)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Personally I don't know. Perhaps someone who has tried it in a cigar will advise in a while. I smoke cigarettes and cigars, but have only tried the Marylands in my cigarette blend. It is mild, smooth, and low in nicotine with a very nice complementary flavor in a blend with other tobaccos. I think it would be nice in a cigar with some stronger tobaccos. The Marylands seem to burn pretty well.

Last edited:

Moshe Kassirer

Yes, all the features you are mantion here its what my leaves give.
here another photo i take. is it a Maryland or what?
(The longest leaves are 14')

leaf9.jpg

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Shalom, Moshe.
The Maryland varieties that I have grown (Catterton and Keller) produced leaves that were typically 24" or longer, and 8-12" in width. The Maryland leaves that I received from BigBonner (MD 609) were even larger--and may have been upper leaf. While the Catterton and Keller were quite mild, the MD 609 was much stronger and darker.

In general, it's nearly impossible to assign a definite variety to a cured leaf. My Catterton showed a clearly square venation pattern, while the Keller venation was more angular.

Your leaf (in the last photo) could easily represent a Turkish variety (e.g. Çelikhan) or any one of a number of other varieties.

As for use in cigars, I have made cigars with numerous combinations of well over 50 different varieties. Any of them can make a smokable cigar, and a nice, intact leaf can always serve as a wrapper. What they taste like is a different matter. Caribbean-style cigar taste requires aged (fermented) cigar-variety leaf. Traditional American cigars were made with burley and other varieties that are seldom used in factory cigars today. Cigars of flue-cured tobacco or made entirely of a Turkish variety tend to give more of a cigarette taste (sweeter and a lower pH), as compared to a factory cigar taste.

Experiment, and see what you like.

Bob

Moshe Kassirer

Hello Deluxestogie.

thank you for the answer.
The common sense should say that our local tobacco will be Turkish. And probably it is.
i just didn't found yet the class. It's important for me this research, Because I like to know what I'm eating...J

The local tobbaco is cheaper and accessible. To import whole leaf into Israel it's a big headache and expencive.
so here is another reason to use our local tobacco...
if I have the choice, for sure I'll use only good aged (and ferment) cigar tobacco.

maybe I should consider to grow my own tobacco.

:)

istanbulin

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum, Moshe ! As I saw from your leaf photos, the variety has Cuneate shaped leaves - traditionally "ox tongue". So it may be Yayladağ, Canik, Çelikhan etc. or similar varieties in same leaf shape but it's apparent that it's not Maden. If you take a photo from the reverse side of the leaf we may have idea about the main vein thickness. BTW, it may not be a "pure" Oriental/Turkish variety so it makes difficult to identify the leaf. There may be crossing (or a serie of crossing). Also growing conditions/customs (i.e. irrigation, topping etc.) may change some specifications of the leaf (i.e. leaf thickness, size, vein thickness, general texture etc.).

As I know there're some farmers growing some traditional (not very well cultivated) Oriental tobacco in Palestine near Jenin but because of the soil characteristics they're not very good. In addition, people also tried to grow some Bright Leaf varieties in Israel didn't get a good result.But this never means that you can't grow your own there.

Moshe Kassirer

Yes i can and I do. I also have an aquaphoinc system.
Do tobacoo need a lot of water? It's a big plant

Status
Not open for further replies.