Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The Story of Jessica's Fantastic 2014 =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaNicot

so im hoping for a wonderful, crazy-weather-free 2014, as im sure all of the rest of you are.

my season officially began last week on Friday (happy valentines!) when we seeded the entire nursery. we seeded directly into 2.5" plastic pots filled with saturated Fafard #2 soil. they fit 32 pots to a tray and were covered with germination domes and placed in our growth rooms. i'll get the pics up soon.

Markw

Hi Jessica, I hope your growing season goes well for you this year and the weather is kind to you, and would like to thank you personally for all that you have done over the last year, especially the seed donations and questions that you have answered on the Forum.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
so im hoping for a wonderful, crazy-weather-free 2014, as im sure all of the rest of you are.

my season officially began last week on Friday (happy valentines!) when we seeded the entire nursery. we seeded directly into 2.5" plastic pots filled with saturated Fafard #2 soil. they fit 32 pots to a tray and were covered with germination domes and placed in our growth rooms. i'll get the pics up soon.

Jessica, why the move away from float trays? I abandoned them myself last year as they proved to be an awful mess inside the house. Do you think the individual pots will be better than 1020 trays and inserts?

I'd also like to add my thanks to Mark's for your contributions to the forum. Your knowledge, insights, and generosity have been a big help to all of us. We hit pay dirt when you found us. You're golden. Best of luck on your season.

JessicaNicot

Jessica, why the move away from float trays? I abandoned them myself last year as they proved to be an awful mess inside the house. Do you think the individual pots will be better than 1020 trays and inserts?

I don't think the pots are any better than the inserts for germinating- they are just what we have available, and for us they are easier to fill and wet in the lab than the inserts (which I've also cut myself on in the past so I'm not really a fan).

we will be transplanting our little plantlets into the float trays in the clayton greenhouse in a couple of weeks. this two step process is actually the most efficient and successful method for the nursery. (we've optimized the system over the last few years to minimize errors and maximize efficiency.) almost all of our other plots at the other research stations are directly seeded into float trays.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Making the seed from last years harvest available to this community was incredibly thoughtful and appreciated, I just wanted to thank you.

Thank you!

DGBAMA

Looks great. Wish you better weather this year.

Do the lights stay the same height or are they moved up/down as the plants grow.

JessicaNicot

Do the lights stay the same height or are they moved up/down as the plants grow.

in our growth room the light banks are attached to the bottom of the shelf above them, so they are stuck at one height. in our normal course of breeding work, we germinate in 2.5" pots, transplant small plantlets into individual 3.5" pots, and then when they get big enough we take them to the greenhouse to be potted in larger pots where they grow to full size.

Status
Not open for further replies.