Whole Leaf Tobacco Whole Leaf Tobacco.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tobacco cutter photos

This thread's purpose is simple. Post photos of what you use to cut/chop/grind your tobacco. Here's mine:

Tobacco cutter photos

Looks very nice! What is it, a grinder or cutter??

Tobacco cutter photos

i been using a old meat grinder,,,, ive found that they dont all work the same for cutting baccy,,,,

it takes 3 passes,, but makes a nice cut leaf when done,,,, im thinking of getting a pasta shredder,,,

..heres my device and the finished product,,

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-09-25

Tobacco cutter photos

Quote Originally Posted by indianjoe View Post
    Looks very nice! What is it, a grinder or cutter??
    From what I've read this type of machine with the GG logo and marked ges geschützt was made sometime around 1890 - 1900. A similar machine marked Teck 1 was produced in the 1920s. It's a self-feeding hand crank cutter with three blades that produces a very fine shag cut. The photographed item was listed on ebay mis-identified as a noodle cutter. It's the most detailed decoration I've seen on a tobacco cutter. The folding wooden extension has an interesting quilted grain pattern.
    Last edited by tekwyzrd; 11-14-2011 at 03:01 AM.

Tobacco cutter photos

Tek,
    That is a gorgeous piece. [Sorry, Chicken. Yours is kind of ugly.] People still seem to offer them (CG and Teck 1) on ebay, in various stages of abuse. My assumption is that any broken or missing part or screw would have to be custom machined. With one as fine as yours, I would still be worried about maintaining the cutting edges. How well does yours perform?

Most of the ebay "tobacco cutters" are guillotine style plug cutters, and not really suited to shredding. Yours is a rare find.

Bob

Tobacco cutter photos

The blades are in need of sharpening but it does pretty well. I'll admit it can be time consuming but it works. The leaf needs to have just the right level of moisture. If the leaf is too moist it can stick or go the wrong way in the rollers or not cut cleanly. If it's too dry there's damage from the upper roller. I do get some larger pieces sometimes but most they're easily dealt with. Excluding those the cut is similar to Santa Fe's products. I'm tempted to make blades from a piece of a2 steel I have and make a minor modification that will allow me a bit of adjustment to compensate for sharpening. Thicker blades, a couple washers, a spring, and a knurled nut.

When I have a chance I'll process some leaf and add a photo of the fresh cut leaf to my original post.

Tobacco cutter photos

Tekwyzrd, please post more detaled pics of extension, it sounds like quilted maple. any more detaled pics would be nice, I have seen the reproductions from old to brand new ,would be cool to see more of what you got there.
    Last edited by BarG; 11-15-2011 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Tobacco cutter photos

Being German made, the extension is most likely Beech...especially for a tool that was mass produced. Beech is the ultimate species of a mature hardwood forest and it's highly revered in Germany.

I'd like to see the shred the CG makes. The Teck 2 shred is about 3/8", which is really wide for a cigarette shred...too wide.

Tobacco cutter photos

Nice call FmGrowit, You know your Beeches

Tobacco cutter photos

I'll add a photo of the cut tobacco when I get a chance to process another batch. I'll also add some other views and a photo of the grain. I had never heard of the teck 2 but found one on ebay. Here's a link to teck 1 and teck 2 listings to see the differences. The teck 1 is a rotating cutter like the one above but the teck 2 is a guillotine style cutter with a side mounted wheel that seems to move the blade up and down to cut.

Teck 1
    Teck 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast