Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

"LED" to grow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
LED's do NOT put out the light the seeds need to start or grow .To see if Your light is what is needed, You can see it on a night vision camera. (LED will not show a pic) It needs UV .LED lights do not produce what is needed. Some tube lights are LED as well. This was asked of Me on many job sites due to the plants indoors. Hope this post was usefull. EE-98 electrician. Thanks for the look.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Grow lights for plants require emission of light at the wavelengths that are absorbed by a leaf's photosynthetic pigments.

wikipedia said:
LEDs allow production of bright and long-lasting grow lights that emit only the wavelengths of light corresponding to the absorption peaks of a plant's typical photochemical processes. Compared to other types of grow lights, LEDs for indoor plants are attractive because they do not require ballasts and produce considerably less heat than fluorescent lights. LEDs usually run at around 45-60 degrees celsius, and a slow airflow keeps them at their operating temperature. Also, plants under LEDs transpire less as a result of the reduction in heat, and thus the time between watering cycles is longer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grow_light
chlab.gif
phorate.gif

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/biology/ligabs.html

Bob

jekylnz

Arnt the blue leds for veg growth. .my understanding was the ratio of red and blue deciphers the spectrum output? Is this not right? Blue veg red bud.? 3 red to 1 blue for growing canabis?so tobacco would grow better the other way round 3 blue to 1 red?

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Well Yer both kind of correct --But , Any way -- LED will not as I said in the post put out the Blue or Red that is needed. and Yes there is a ballast that is for fluorecent lamp lighting. LED is for energy and heat consuption as He said and without the graph. To test to see if it is a good light type is- If it puts out heat at the lamp--- GOOD TO GO ! Incadecant (light bulb) is low due to energy loss and uv at a distance. HID is high. HPS, MH, ect. OK Go to the Grow shop and see if they sell LED for hydro.p.. And if so ask how it worked? PS: I did not say blue in the post Sorry. deluxestogie, That is what I was looking for on input-Cudos- However LED is not in there.It is like putting the seeds in the car with the dome light on.It is a low voltage design to cut energy cost only Thank You guys, got to look at all the factors and teach as well. You are teachers. I am using 400w HID on My set. some use 4' ballast tubes.They sell grow lamps for them. Seen some nice ones at that here for2014 Good job folks.

jekylnz

Hey oshea have you heard much about electronic digital ballasts??(for h.p.s .h.i.d.& m.h lamps)...as far as better power consumption etc..I know that they use way less power starting up

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Yes I have, I installed over 2,000 it the court house here. You can controle them via PC. as well as dim them however they are for fluorecents. The lamps You are refering to require a capacitor to fire. Good call on grow lights.

daniel draeving

There's a place called Teksupply that sells LED grow lights. The red, white and blue can be individually adjusted, but at $1000.00 each it ain't happening.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I agree, The light bulbs in Your house have also changed. They are not a filiment wire. The inside look like a MV. A 100wat puts out around 40 w. The price of the bulbs 10 bucks for 4. They burn out in 1/4 of the time as the old type. Where can You get the old ones? At the electrical supply house. Tell them You are useing them for temp light in construction. They do not make the old one any more in the 75-and 100 watt. With price and use of LED's. Not a good trade for grow. The LED's I was refering to are for every day use. Find the cheap lamps and bulbs. And turn them on.

daniel draeving

WoW a grand that is a chunk to shell out....
I had great success with 4 foot fish tank lights last year.

That's the middle of the road, there's one for $1900.00 and another for $500.00...Fluorescents are all I've been using too then it's outside they go. The sun is still free. For now anyway.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That's the middle of the road, there's one for $1900.00 and another for $500.00...Fluorescents are all I've been using too then it's outside they go. The sun is still free. For now anyway.

I did a side by side with regular fluorescents and the aquarium/plant fluorescent bulbs last year. I couldn't see any difference between the two so I'm just going straight fluorescents from now on. Can't beat the price. Like yours, mine go outside as soon as it's warm enough.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
So now to put it as said (and I agree) Sun in the morn. Sun inthe aft. And none at night. Great call folks. Daniel d. great to here from you bud. Nice to see some one that I haven't met. Look into more post here. Need more imput frome baccy folks. If You are growin tell Us what and what type of light Yer usin Bud. PS: This post was for grow light only and what "YOU USE" . So post on Your light! Not Yer BUD. BACCY ONLY LOL

Dean

Used to sell grow lights for marijunaha production, never smoked it but hey, LED is the new thing better production better growth etc, you can't argue with the pot growers as they have to have the best. They are pick a spectrum lighting so you would need blue spectrum, you can buy intense Blue spectrum lighting for indoor growth. The hemp growers have paved the way for US baccy growers and have left a legacy of useful lighting that will give the best bang for your buck. With results to prove.

these types of shops are paid on the back of indoor growing and if more members utilised these shops pre planting would be so much easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.