Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Leverhead's 2014 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

leverhead

This year will an easy year, only about half as many plants as last year. I have three goals, for seed, for the Hookah and I want to make a good stab at Sun-curing.

For seed, I'm shooting for 100+ varieties. I'm starting with 123 varieties, there are a few stubborn ones. I'm not going to post the variety list for a few weeks, I'll wait to see what looks like is actually going in the ground. Here's a picture of the easy part. It'll be a good mix of classes, with quite a few cigar varieties.

022114.JPG

Brown Thumb

Good Luck this Year.
I wish I could downsize, I just can't figure out how to do it.

DGBAMA

It would take me all summer just to make that many labels. Good luck with the grow.

leverhead

Lol oh man that 1 or 2 year break went right out the window! Those trays are looking good.

The Devil is in the details! I'm taking a 1 - 2 year break from flue-curing, not from having fun.

Thanks for the good wishes! Nothing up my short sleeve but a well tanned arm.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
You are a brave soul. Far more industrious than me. I'm annoyed at myself for allowing my grow to go from 20 varieties (a nice number) to 30 varieties for 2014. It's the record keeping that is the difference.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank Goodness! Somebody shows up that's crazier than I am.
Giggle, giggle (inside joke)

skychaser

For seed, I'm shooting for 100+ varieties. I'm starting with 123 varieties, there are a few stubborn ones.

Is that all? What are you going to do with all your free time this summer? :p

How many seed plants are you planning on having for each variety?

leverhead

You are a brave soul. Far more industrious than me. I'm annoyed at myself for allowing my grow to go from 20 varieties (a nice number) to 30 varieties for 2014. It's the record keeping that is the difference.

Bob

I think removing flue-curing from schedule will allow a more relaxed season, tending to the plants (weather permitting) is pleasant. It is going to be allot of tags, bud bags and stakes. I'm open to suggestions for keeping the bud worms at bay. Last year, most of my plants were not topped, but most of the troubles were with the bagged plants, I think it was because the wasps couldn't get to their free meal.

I organized the varieties into groups by class and numbered them, I'm going to use the numbers all the way to clean seed. I'm going to tag each plant and transfer the number to each bud bag as they go on. It should be fairly easy to keep straight.

Looking ahead, I think reality may be the cure for ambition. After this season I'll be ready for some 20 variety years.

leverhead

Is that all? What are you going to do with all your free time this summer? :p

How many seed plants are you planning on having for each variety?

What's free time?

Now don't choke! No offense intended and I admire your dedication to genetic diversity. I'm planing for 3 each of the bigger plants and 6 each of the smaller ones.

leverhead

I got zapped this week wringing out some soaked Tombac with my bare hands, it made for a bad start on the day. Do you have room for a few more plants?

leverhead

The Shiraz will kick it up a couple of notches, the Hasankeyf is an unknown player. it might need to be cut with a Virginia to be manageable.

leverhead

This is my first experience with pelleted seed, I thought I share. I'd heard that it doesn't keep that well, so I didn't have very high hopes for germination. It seems to have done just fine, they'll get moved to cells today. I need to look into this more to figure out how to do it myself, it would make seed very easy to work with.

Peletized Seed a.JPGPeletized Seed b.JPG

istanbulin

Founding Member
I think the ease of using pelleted seeds is the size that allows you to put a single seed into a single tray cell. But as I saw you didn't use that benefit and germinated them like unpelleted ones. May be it was only a germination test (?).

Status
Not open for further replies.