Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Big tobacco

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
GMO tobacco? Do you have a link where I might find these seeds? I would love to be able to roundup my plot.

BigBonner

Founding Member
I have not heard or had seeds available that is GMO . There is none available that can be sprayed with roundup .
GMO , Genetically Modified Organism tobacco is not from what little I know about tobacco . But from my understanding , modern tobacco is from breeding tobacco to tobacco of varieties that make better disease resistant plants .
Like breeding a big bull to a herd with better qualities and features to make better calves and seed heifers .
Keep breeding to the same stock and have the same stock find better seed stock and improve existing stock .

I do know that they have genetically altered plants for supposedly medical purposes . Who knows what research has been done in other countries .

This link was sent to me a few days ago .http://intellihub.com/tobacco-likely-gmo-virus-found-killing-honeybees/

I know that they blame ADMIRE for killing bees , But admire on tobacco is treated in the greenhouse and washed to the roots or applied in the field through transplant water and goes under the soil . It is not sprayed on as a field spray .

I do not know of any tobacco that can withstand pest or that can be sprayed to control weeds .
Post weed killer ( Meant for Soy Beans ) can be sprayed over tobacco to kill grass . It will not kill any broad leaf weeds . If Big tobacco test and finds this they can cancel your contract and make you pay back the money they paid you for the tobacco . A pinch too much and your tobacco is dead to .

There is some weed killer ( That is a waste of money and does not work ) Prowl , Spartan that is used ( Soil Applied ) pre plant but does not work and is a waste of money .I have not used any weed killer in years . My pictures will show weed in my tobacco crops .
8BKoj.jpg

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
BigBonner, At what time do You top? I will top at the three ft. tall mark this time and prime the bottom 4 leaf at that time. I'm going two ft deep for the root balls as well. I see how You get Your 50 or so thousand lbs.plus with That stand. I will only top the top two or so leaf as well. The weeds and under growth do not bother Me as well. They are easy to control under the plants. I too have not heard of a GMO tobacco plant, only other nightshade plants such as tomatoes. (food crops)ect.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
You top at bud swell, or when flowing "just" begins. You don't top according to height. If you want a 3ft plant, wait till bud swell then top down to your desired height. 3ft seems extreme

BigBonner

Founding Member
Mad

Jitterbug is right . Topping to early will cause you to loose the top leaves . They are better than the bottom leaves .
Each variety has a different topping height . Some may need topping at 5 FT and some at 36 inches .

You can see in my picture the Dark fire/air on the right has one premature bloom .
The bursa in the middle right is not bloomed and Havana on the center left is half grown .
Burley on the far left will have a lot more growing to do .
This whole patch was planted the same day .

Here is some organic reading Seems like organic may not have to be pure organic .
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELPRDC5096493

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Good call. I was thinking at the three ft. point- Wasn't thinking about the mature stage to top. I will top when the pods start to get ready to open like I always have in the past. I love the top leaf. I however think I will still prime the bottom four leaf from them at the three ft. stage. That leaf always seems to be a pain in the past. Thanks. I had a brain fart going on. I got the Sherazi today half made it past the rollers. Plenty of seed to run. Thanks R.B.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
something evil, that has to do with tobaccoo farmers happened in our government,,,

im from north central florida,,,, and in my travels which are very vast,,, ive seen many '' idling '' 70's era tobaccoo drying barns,,,

in north florida, thier is only 3 farmers that grow bacca, and they have to take it to douglas georgia to sell it,

ive talked to farmers who '' at one time '' grew bacca, and learned of the '' tobaccoo allotment'' that was given to the bacca farmers, of the 80's.

in my area, it is now profitable to grow peanut's, and cotton is starting to make it's way into florida,

i believe a farmer should be able to grow what ever crop he thinks is going to pay him the most....

i have a one - on - one relationship with farmer's who grow every crop known to man...

i work for a fertilizer company that serves '' west alabama '' all of georgia,, and all of florida,

i deliver, 20 tons at a time, to major players, in the produce industry,,, and citrus,,,

ive met some intresting people, and heard many of the '' farmer's view of it ''

forumdotabaco

would this be the appropriated place to talk about tobacco farming costs and profits? I want to become a tobacco farmer, but here tobacco farmers are almost extinct, so each time I speak with some one about becoming a farmer, everyone laughs at me, so I contacted P.M and we spoke for a wile (3 emails) they told that they never brought any tobacco here, even when the farmer number was about 1000, and I ask them about European warehouses they never answer me back, I know that if I become a farmer I will have a miserable life and lots of difficulty's and work,etc etc, I am not really worried with that.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
would this be the appropriated place to talk about tobacco farming costs and profits? I want to become a tobacco farmer, but here tobacco farmers are almost extinct, so each time I speak with some one about becoming a farmer, everyone laughs at me, so I contacted P.M and we spoke for a wile (3 emails) they told that they never brought any tobacco here, even when the farmer number was about 1000, and I ask them about European warehouses they never answer me back, I know that if I become a farmer I will have a miserable life and lots of difficulty's and work,etc etc, I am not really worried with that.

I grew up on a farm. There is no better life in this world than farming as long as you don't mind running around bare footed and eating bark off of the trees. smiley-rofl.gif

forumdotabaco

I grew up on the country, farms are not a new thing for me, I've been living in the city for 15 years now and I cant stand it any more, plus been working on tech stuff for this 15 years 6 of those 18 hours a day every days no vacations or weekends and surrounded by hot and noise servers I quit in the 9 of December and I'm getting ready to made my own farm called New America lol, one of the crops that really interests me is bacca, but I need know stuff like how much American farmers spend per acer all included, diesel, chemical treatments, hand labours etc do you know if the trimbletobacco guy is present in this forum?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
BigBonner is a commercial tobacco grower and sells to Phillip Morris Tobacco Company. He can give you a break down on costs and overhead. Shoot him with a PM (private message).

click link: http://fairtradetobacco.com/members/6-BigBonner Select "Send Private Message".

We raised cows, hay, and soybeans on our farm, plus a vegetable garden. We also raised rabbits for restaurants and raised and sold fishing worms in the rabbit manure.

forumdotabaco

That's my goal sell to P.M but right now i cant even find warehouses in EU here is everything secret lol, looks like they are shame of the bacca business.

forumdotabaco

Phillip Morris I mailed them a few weeks ago once I ask them about warehouses in EU pufff I lost them

BigBonner

Founding Member
Forudotobacco

You ( A single farmer ) will not catch the eye of any big tobacco companies . They want to move in where there is a lot of cheap tobacco grown . I am talking 300,000 ,000 pounds per company . Then they would talk to you .
Here they cut throat us farmers to a bare minimum on dollars they pay for our tobacco . They complains no matter how good the tobacco is and some times they send farmers tobacco back home with them .

As far as calculating cost per acre . Your labor and fuel cost may be different than ours .
If I was you I would raise a acre or two and make my own leaf sales or get a permit for processing and selling tobacco . It is very easy to tie up money in tobacco and not get that money back . Bad weather , no rain , wind anything can happen and destroy a tobacco crop .

I grow only a small amount of what big tobacco needs . But there is a big number of farmers and we all can supply most of their needs . Big tobacco still buys from other countries like Argentina .

You have to have a market for tobacco .
If you become a farmer grow crops that sell in your area and grow some tobacco on the side .

forumdotabaco

Hi I was thinking about 33069 lb
how much do they pay for a pound? 1. 10 $?
I'm am aware that labour and fuel prices are different but I can adjust that in my calculations.
2 acres will not pay for the invested money that's around 3 tons of cured tobacco I was thinking in something like 15 tons
but for sure I have other crops in mind, bacca alone would not maintain the farm, there's a lot of things that we can raise here, hemp could be another way to go, or stevia just don't want to do what almost all of the farmers do, corn, and wheat and tomatoes. I also have some ideas for small amounts of bacca like you said 2 acres would be enough, but 100% biologic crops
What about crop insurance do you work with it? I know that in agriculture anything can happen at any time ,but hey we have to always count with that,"If I was you I would raise a acre or two and make my own leaf sales or get a permit for processing" I'm also considering that but just to start I would need around 500000 $ just for the taxes 400000$ in bank warranty and 100000 $ in advanced taxes and just for a tone, but is not out of question I know a way to work around that.
But I would not need those warranty's if I export my tobacco, and there are a lot of country's in Europe where the sale of raw tobacco remains legal and plus the CPLP country's where tobacco laws and taxes have nothing to do with ours (EU and USA laws) right now the last Portuguese tobacco farmers send their tobacco to Italy for processing but Germany is the biggest EU producer so I am a little bit confused lol because I guess that being Germany the biggest producer they should have warehouses you know I am just starting to evaluate all the things involved that's why is so precious to talk with people already deeply involved in the tobacco industry.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I would say it would be a loss if I were to try and raise any cash crop here in NM. Tobacco would be called a Luxury crop and not insurable. When I was on the farm, the Gov. paid the land owners to plant, water and take care of 10% of the owned land- Then plow it under to keep prices up. That is why I directed You to BigBonner. Your Country has different values and rules to follow. However You came to the rite place to find the answers You are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.