Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Scraps Roller Mechine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe Kassirer

So after i saw BigDog roller. I turned on :rolleyes:

a whole day of thinking about it. 2 hours of searching in the garbage area. and then 3 hours of building.

I use pieces of boards, an axises from old printer and 2 pieces of irrigation pipe and piece of leather.

Its working nice, i'll roll with it just the scraps i believe.

---------------
open
IMG_8131.jpg

close
IMG_8132.jpg

scraps
IMG_8139.jpg

binder
IMG_8142.jpg

rolled
IMG_8145.jpg

and a finised Robusto (with wrapper)
IMG_8152.jpg

winston-smoker

Yeah, it does look like an oversized cigarette roller ... and adapting that principle to roll cigars seems ingenious. It also looks like it would be an inexpensive device to make.

Moshe Kassirer

The idea came from the cigarette roller, indeed.

I made only one cigar as test. it become a bit loose.
Today i made another one, pushing more tobbaco inside. and its firm.
I'll smoke it just in 2 weeks.
so i'll update.

jekylnz

I like it..nice and simple...just needs some fine tuning...if you have different slots it would give you optional cigar sizes I've been making one similar for a while. .but it still needs tweaking. ..I'm looking at putting cogs in combination with a handle to turn so the rollers turn together. ..Been takn apart old pasta machine to selvedge parts...trying to get my engineer mate to lend me his expertise. .lol

Moshe Kassirer

yes its simple and its working fine.
Im rolling it with my two full hands on the cylinders like Rolling dough.

I like the size of 5/50 cigars (robusto)
the machine is 8/50 but im filling it just for 5', more or less, and cut the edges.

leverhead

There is a trait of the style of roller. If you keep rolling before you put the wrapper in, it will get tighter. Sometimes too tight to draw.

Moshe Kassirer

Im rolling the tobacco before puting the binder. and its become tight, I hope not too tight.
My main problem with my cigar so far is the density, not enough tight. I believe its also the quality of the leaves.

DGBAMA

Im rolling the tobacco before puting the binder. and its become tight, I hope not too tight.
My main problem with my cigar so far is the density, not enough tight. I believe its also the quality of the leaves.

Here is a link to common cigar sizes:

Cigar sizes

Knucks found me a better link but it is no longer active.

A small digital scale helped me a lot. I found the size cigar I wanted to make and its finished weight and used this to weigh out my tobacco, then roll to the finished size as close as I can, even if after weighing the filler appears to be too much or too little. Uniformity of draw got a lot better for me with this method.

Also try different bunching methods. Rolling the filler to shape tends (for me) to result in the draw being too tight. I get beter result by piling my filler leaves to the length I want then "scrunching" them into a rough shape/size instead of rolling. There are some good videos on youtube if you search "book rolling cigar"; another effective method of bunching your filler.

Moshe Kassirer

This is a good idea DGBAMA. to weight the tobbaco befoer - helping by this link.

Is "scrunching" is like in the book-method? I should try it.

Thank you.

DGBAMA

like book method in the idea. Objective is to not have leaves "nest" into eachother while rough shaping. multiple leaves that layer against eachother while rolling essentially creates a very thick leaf with no air channels between layers which inhibits good draw and burning. I'm no expert, just sharing my limited experience.

Moshe Kassirer

Maybe this is my solution. till now i was rolled each filler leaf and then bunching them together, like the old school Cuba style.
i'll try the book methoud soon, its look like a more flatten method.

Status
Not open for further replies.