Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Thoughts on genetic diversity and varietal slip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessicaNicot

yeah and also I've seen "8x" tobacco and it didn't look noticeably different to me, but then again the greenhouse is nothing like the field.

TheOtherOne

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism This concept completely contrasts Mendel's commonly accepted theory on plant inheritance. It's relevant to the discussion at hand however, because it describes the traits of an organism as more fluid, and able to be changed by minor environmental factors. "The giraffes couldn't reach food, so they stretched their necks, and their offspring therefore had long necks."

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Soviet Union placed a man named Lysenko in charge of their entire agricultural development program, and purged (killed) scientists who disagreed with Lysenko. Lysenko subscribed to Lamarkian inheritance. The general failure of Soviet collective agriculture may be attributable to Lysenko's failure to grasp basic genetics.

Wikipedia said:
Lysenkoism is used metaphorically to describe the manipulation or distortion of the scientific process as a way to reach a predetermined conclusion as dictated by an ideological bias, often related to social or political objectives.

Lysenkoism was built on theories of the heritability of acquired characteristics that Lysenko named "Michurinism". These theories depart from accepted evolutionary theory and Mendelian inheritance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysenkoism

The bottom line is that anyone who has acquired any significant education in biology has dismissed Lamark's theories long ago. It's just not applicable.

Bob

TheOtherOne

I'm hoping you don't think I believe that, or didn't know any of the above. I'd go into some description as to how I had added this here in contrast of the generally accepted theory (mendel's theory of inheritance) to show that some of the views displayed above seem to match this outdated system, but my point would be lost, as it seems it already has been.

skychaser

Lamarckism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Lamarckism (or Lamarckian inheritance) is the idea that an organism can pass on characteristics that it acquired during its lifetime to its offspring (also known as heritability of acquired characteristics or soft inheritance). It is named after the French biologist Jean-Baptiste Lamarck (1744–1829), who incorporated the action of soft inheritance into his evolutionary theories as a supplement to his concept of an inherent progressive tendency driving organisms continuously towards greater complexity, in parallel but separate lineages with no extinction. Lamarck did not originate the idea of soft inheritance, which proposes that individual efforts during the lifetime of the organisms were the main mechanism driving species to adaptation, as they supposedly would acquire adaptive changes and pass them on to offspring."

hmm.... Perhaps Lamarck wasn't entirely wrong after all.

Mice may inherit traumatic experiences, study shows:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...dc97f2-5e8e-11e3-bc56-c6ca94801fac_story.html

A newborn mouse pup, seemingly innocent to the workings of the world, may actually harbor generations’ worth of information passed down by its ancestors.

In the experiment, researchers taught male mice to fear the smell of cherry blossoms by associating the scent with mild foot shocks. Two weeks later, they bred with females. The resulting pups were raised to adulthood having never been exposed to the smell.

Yet when the critters caught a whiff of it for the first time, they suddenly became anxious and fearful. They were even born with more cherry-blossom-detecting neurons in their noses and more brain space devoted to cherry-blossom-smelling.

The memory transmission extended out another generation when these male mice bred, and similar results were found.

Neuroscientists at Emory University found that genetic markers, thought to be wiped clean before birth, were used to transmit a single traumatic experience across generations, leaving behind traces in the behavior and anatomy of future pups.

The study, published online Sunday in the journal Nature Neuroscience, adds to a growing pile of evidence suggesting that characteristics outside of the strict genetic code may also be acquired from our parents through epigenetic inheritance. Epigenetics studies how molecules act as DNA markers that influence how the genome is read. We pick up these epigenetic markers during our lives and in various locations on our body as we develop and interact with our environment. ..continues

TheOtherOne

Thanks! This is deserving of further reading for me. I had read a study about Jarovisation (sp?) or the scarification through partial fermentation of grain seeds to not require freezing to germinate. Supposedly, they believed the seed would carry the trait to future generations, which was never proven to be accurate. In animals at least, it would seem the above contradicts this.

NRustica

Thanks Jessica. You indeed did address this last year in your last grow log.

There was also an article on Cuban tobacco which noted that keeping seeds separate from different plants helped in keeping uniformity in morphology. It wasn't the open polination as much as mixing the seed of different plants that accounted for the different morphology over time.

istanbulin

Founding Member
If you're talking about my input, I guess you got it wrong, it was about selective breeding from wild or from a population. Also in last part it also mentions a little about seed farming. BTW, if you have pure materials there's no disadvantage to mix seeds of different plants (same variety), otherwise nobody can provide seeds to the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.