Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Professionally prepared casings

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
This thread was inspired by Bob's thread on all of the different pipe tobacco recipes. It got me wondering if there are any casings recipes anyone could recommend having recreated. If the cigarette casings are any indication of the ability of the lab to produce quality casings, I think it might be a worthwhile investment to have casing made for pipe and hookah tobaccos.

This is a little backwards in approach in that the casing would be made and then a tobacco blend would be created to recreate a particular flavor. I know there's a market for hookah tobacco casing, but I'm not sure about pipe tobacco. Does anyone smoke heavily cased pipe tobaccos anymore?

Please list any brands or flavors that might be of interest or of popular names/flavors. I've already spoke with the lab about the project and they've expressed interest in assisting. Unfortunatley, they don't have any generic casings on the shelf, so we'll be starting from scratch.

holyRYO

Great idea. It seems the universal casing for cigarettes is a mixture of cocoa, licorice, and invert sugar. Something basic like this would be nice, if you don't have already. I would kill for whatever they case Orlik Golden Sliced with, or something like it. Prince Albert casing is a classic flavor that works for pipes and cigarettes. I can think of more, but these would be my top three based on what would be widely accepted.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
All of the "drug store brands" are heavily cased. The reason most drug store brands are not all that nice is that they are made from lower grade tobaccos, and not because they are cased. Sometimes though, the casing is so concentrated that it chemically irritates the tongue (e.g. Paladin Black Cherry).

An interesting list of aromatic pipe tobaccos can be viewed at Cornell & Diehl's horrible new website: http://cornellanddiehl.com/tobaccos.cfm (It's pretty, but nearly useless.)
On that page, to the left, select C&D, bulk and aromatic.

I suspect that a gentle honey and vanilla is the most popular aromatic sold. That would be the same as Lane Ltd. 1Q, Captain Black Royal, and most of the blond, honey Cavendish "custom" pipe tobacco sold in bulk by tobacconists. (Most of it is, in fact, Lane 1Q, purchased in 5 pound bags.) This is also very popular among starting pipe smokers. It is usually manufactured from a mild, light-colored, air-cured burley that has been Cavendish cut (not Cavendish processed), and could be easily made at home from bottom-leaf burley or Maryland, or even a pure Oriental.

Other popular flavors:
Hazelnut
Butter Rum
Cherry
Chocolate
Espresso
Peach/vanilla (usually called peaches and cream)

Bob

jojjas

jojjas

This is another idea for you Don
One of my favorite comercial pipe tobacco is Sam Gawith 1792 flake and thats is flavored with a tiny splash of tonka bean oil
I do now days, my own 1792 flake of Red virginia from WLT and synthetic tonka bean flavor wich kindly provided from Sam Gawith tobacco company (many thanks to mr Bob Gegory of Samuel Gawith) , i think they use tonka bean flavoring in some of ther another varites also, but i am not sure who
Just an idea
Mikael

istanbulin

Founding Member

Boboro

The candy oils Ive used have just not tasted right in Hookah molasses. Any thing you can come up with I'll give a try.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The candy oils Ive used have just not tasted right in Hookah molasses. Any thing you can come up with I'll give a try.

What flavors do you use or which are most popular?

I'd like to try to recreate actual popular name brands in both pipe and hookah tobacco

Dean

I'd love a cherry flavour to add to my cavendish. I have asked elsewhere for a heavy cherry flavouring and in all the experiments I have run I don't even come close. I have basically given up trying to do it. I now try vanilla as an easier alternative but without soaking the leaf for long periods I don't get the heavy cased type of flavour. I have a hard on for cherry and my lack of luck, understanding is annoying me.

Dean

I am still buying nice cherry cavendish at about a dollar a gram, it is heavily cased and I will use it in cigarettes to take out the ammonia flavour of non killed leaf less than 5% will fix a blend that is immature. 1% often does it. I can't come close to that in a pipe blend and I just love the ultra cherry flavour.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
, i think they use tonka bean flavoring in some of ther another varites also,
Mikael

I'm pretty sure Tonka beans have been outlawed for food use in most countries, including the U.S.
Don, if you really want to find the most popular pipe blends (flavors) visit some of the on line pipe shops that sell in bulk and note which varieties sell out on a regular basis. I do believe that the most popular casings are cherry and vanilla though.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Regarding Tonka bean...I've read one of the flavorings used in cigarette casings is Tonka Bean Pod extract. Perhaps the actual bean extract has different chemicals than the pod.

So, to summarize...

Flavors need to be apparent during the burn and/or as a room note post burn.

An assortment of individual flavors can be combines to recreate specific commercial blends.

Do you guys think the casing should contain humectants and sweeteners or should the humectants, sweeteners, flavors be offered individually?

leverhead

I've tried, but I don't really like the overpowering flavors that much. Mints are easy to add as dried flakes, 5 - 10% of the dry weight of the tobacco. For me, living near Houston, getting different sweeteners is easy and makes a big difference. Cane, Grape and Carob Molasses all act as a base flavor. It may not be trendy, but it's what I like. This has made me think of something to try tonight, some of Don's Dark air-cured and Carob molasses.

I normally don't use glycerin, if I make a big batch I'd use 10%.

jojjas

I'm pretty sure Tonka beans have been outlawed for food use in most countries, including the U.S.
Don, if you really want to find the most popular pipe blends (flavors) visit some of the on line pipe shops that sell in bulk and note which varieties sell out on a regular basis. I do believe that the most popular casings are cherry and vanilla though.

Regarding Tonka bean...I've read one of the flavorings used in cigarette casings is Tonka Bean Pod extract. Perhaps the actual bean extract has different chemicals than the pod.

So, to summarize...

Flavors need to be apparent during the burn and/or as a room note post burn.

An assortment of individual flavors can be combines to recreate specific commercial blends.

Do you guys think the casing should contain humectants and sweeteners or should the humectants, sweeteners, flavors be offered individually?

I see now that i have left out som important info regarding tonka bean oil , of course it is synthetic , not the real one

From Sam Gawith tobacco company

"Dear Mr Johansson
Thank you for your mail.
The first point to make is that many years ago we stopped using the natural Tonka Bean due to the fact that there was an element of something nasty in it. So today we use a synthetic product. "