Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Simple kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moshe Kassirer

Hello.
I got this non-working wine cooler.
I like to do some simple kiln with it.

To compress 2LB of leaves in a Jute bag and put it on the shelf.
at the floor i'll put a big sponge with distilted water.
With a close (glass) door face it outside towards the sun.

What do you think about it? is a few days like this will give the right results?

IMG_8158.JPG

leverhead

It will take more than a few days. You might try putting just a thermometer in it first, full Sun might get it too hot. A plastic or glass bowl of salt and water might work better than a sponge to keep the humidity in a useful range. I did my tobacco at 120 F (50 C) 70% RH for a month full time, then let it rest for a month. Using the Sun, you might need to double the amount of time, figuring time at temperature and RH. A fan of some sort to keep the air moving around would be a useful addition. Nice find!

Moshe Kassirer

What is fridgador?

And yes, a bowl with water is good enought. i dont know where came the sponge to my mind???

what did the salt doing?

and i'll keep it as long as needed. its like to do a Compost.

The only problem could be with the temperature that can go very high.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Temperatures of 120-130ºF inhibit vegetative mold growth. For lower kilning temps, you may want to keep the relative humidity below 75%. Kilning usually requires at least 2-3 weeks. I usually run for 4 weeks. With some experience, you will be able to judge when it's ready by the aroma. It starts out with a grassy, "raw" aroma, then changes into a definite tobacco aroma.

Bob

Moshe Kassirer

So if i understend you, if it wo'nt reach 120-130F its better be in lower humidity to prevent mold.

My other option is to keep it in a warehouse during August. the humidity here is 70% and the temperatures inside this werehouse during the day is like 110F

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Is that wine cooler lined with plastic or metal? If it is plastic make sure to run it on high heat for a day or two to off-gas any chemicals that are in the plastic.

leverhead

And yes, a bowl with water is good enought. i dont know where came the sponge to my mind???

what did the salt doing?

A slushy mix (more salt than will dissolve in the water) will tend to keep the RH at about 75%.

...My other option is to keep it in a warehouse during August. the humidity here is 70% and the temperatures inside this werehouse during the day is like 110F

It sounds like the warehouse would make the perfect kiln!

Moshe Kassirer

Is that wine cooler lined with plastic or metal? If it is plastic make sure to run it on high heat for a day or two to off-gas any chemicals that are in the plastic.

The wine-cooler has been in the hit already, you can see what happened to the plastik in the bottom right corner.
and it was really smelly...

Moshe Kassirer

Thanks!
That was my first plain - the warehouse.
Also I have a lot of distilled water from the air-condition in August.
(for spraying the leaves during the process)

Status
Not open for further replies.