Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Starting Seeds Early ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown Thumb

I am wondering if anyone has done it.
I decided to try it and have 500 planted so far and more to go. I put them in plastic cups so they do not get root bound. 11x22 starter tray only fits 26 cups and takes up one hell of a lot of room and soil materials. I hope I can also let them go past the last frost date buy a couple of weeks.
Any Input.
Thanks, BT

Boboro

Ive kept seedlings that long. But I quit doin it ,cause its a pain in the ass. IMO young seedlings do better when transplanted.

DGBAMA

My VA Gold stayed in bulk germination trays with only 3/4" of soil for about 6 weeks last year. They stagnated at about 1" tall but made up for it when put in separate cells for 4 weeks then straight in the ground.

This year I seeded my cell trays directly, will thin to one per cell and give a couple "haircuts" if they get going too soon for planting time. No transplanting for me this year; cells to ground.

Brown Thumb

Thanks, 10 weeks + might be okey dokey they are in bigger cups no transplanting.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Last year I kept my back up seedlings in the starter trays the whole season on my tailgate. I finally threw them away when I needed the space for drying seed heads. They reached 18-24" and never budded.

I'm starting seed a week or two later than normal this year because I'm scared of a blackberry winter this spring. The winter weather was so unusual it wouldn't surprise me if we got a late cold snap this year with frost. I'll watch the extended forecast real close before planting and if a late cold snap is expected I'll hold them back till it's over.

Brown Thumb

I won't argue with you on last years season Knucks , Just Trying out a new different Whatever,

Knucklehead

Founding Member
If you're thinking argument, you misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that staying in the starter trays the whole season (about 5 months) didn't bother those plants at all. They were back up plants that I never needed. I just wanted to see how long they would stay alive. I finally had to kill them. Starting early should be no problem at all. No argument. You'll be fine.

Last edited:

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I think you'll be ok. Planting in cups will give you a lot of growing room. I'm just a tad bit south of you and I plant about May 5th but I use a float tray and 11 weeks is way to early for me.

Markw

You should be fine BT as for me over here I need to get them as big as possible before planting out. when they out-grow the float tray I plant them in one pint plastic beer glasses, this gives me a couple of extra weeks if the weather is bad.

BarG

Founding Member
I found that my plants left in trays or cups to long get leggy, or more spindly stems. I planted quite a few early last year and decided to wait till mid march to start this year, especialy with all the cold snaps we have been having.

rainmax

Founding Member
If you're thinking argument, you misunderstood me. I'm agreeing with you.

I'm just saying that staying in the starter trays the whole season (about 5 months) didn't bother those plants at all. They were back up plants that I never needed. I just wanted to see how long they would stay alive. I finally had to kill them. Starting early should be no problem at all. No argument. You'll be fine.

I will try to plant earlier this season, but I will also prepare backup plants in a week or so.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I found that the way The seeds I got sent to Me worked out great One week a set the next week another. and the last. It isn't as hard on Me on the start and transplant. I don't feel rushed. I however donot have back up plants here. They come up fine without em.

DonH

You should be fine BT as for me over here I need to get them as big as possible before planting out. when they out-grow the float tray I plant them in one pint plastic beer glasses, this gives me a couple of extra weeks if the weather is bad.
One pint cups should give you an extra month, if necessary. I've used those for backups.

Status
Not open for further replies.