Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

lighting for seedlings

Status
Not open for further replies.

cowboyjames74

Found out that the ge plant light works a hell of a lot better than a 60 watt bulb
for growing new tobacco seedlings. Virginia plants are about 2 inches tall now.:D

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Found out that the ge plant light works a hell of a lot better than a 60 watt bulb
for growing new tobacco seedlings. Virginia plants are about 2 inches tall now.:D

when them seedlings get bigger you may want to throw a 400 watt h.i.d. to it,,,,

you could proablly grow a dozen plants under a 400 watt bulb,,,,

htgsupply.com they have a good selection of interchangable bulbs for m.h./h.p.s. conversion,

ThomM

Cowboy as you discovered, incandescent lights suck for growing anything.
So far the best lighting is what Chicken suggested. There can be a heat problem with the H.I.D.'s though.
Fluorescent lights work well for starting and early vegging and don't have the heat problem, not to mention they are pretty inexpensive.
I've also been looking into LED lighting and want to try one this winter.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
my plans for this january is to start my seedlings using cfl grow lights,,

and raising them under these light till april when i will put them out in the dirt,

BarG

Founding Member
Grow lights

I plan on using mother nature? I start mine indoors with room temps., and by the time I need to move out doors weather should be right with luck...??? I START WITH AN EAST WINDOW FOR MORNING LIGHT AND THATS IT TILL MOVING TO A PROTECTED EAST FACING OUTDOOR COVERED LOCATION.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I start mine around the first part of April my problem is that I don't have any decent
windows for the morning sun just in the west end of the house and then it's not till
after 3 pm The weather doesn't warm up enough until the last part of May to transplant
out side. So this year I'm going to get a better light. I have been using a 24 inch regular
Florescent light which is actually pretty crappy.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive got my lights for when im ready to start them,,,

but right now it's still to early for me,,,

i left one small plant in the ground and its still alive,,,,should have left them all out there, i had some huge sucker's,,,but they are whole plant hanging in the barn and looking good,

my lights waiting for seeds,
sam0718k.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-12-22

///
sam0714d.jpg

By chickenhawk435 at 2011-12-22
/

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
Hey chicken do you have any pics of the seeds waiting for libhts?

nah,,,

i did a test run with some CASTOR BEAN seeds, thats the plant you see in there,,,,

im gonna wait till the end of feb. and start them,,,,,with the help of the lights my seedlings should start fine,,,

do you believe today i have a baccy plant still alive in the patch,,

im thinking of making a thread devoted to this plant,???

Status
Not open for further replies.