Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateGhost

1780669_10203428940750054_2093596585_n.jpg

All 48 seeds now started.

24 Izmir plants
12 Yellow Twist Bud
12 Virginia Gold

Thanks to Boboro for the seeds and backer.

DGBAMA

If you can run that starting soil through a screen to remove the wood chips, you should be rewarded with more uniform germination.

I grew all three of those last year, the izmir did great at only 12" spacing. The YTB is a funny grower, staying low to the ground for a long time before it grows upward, so I would recommend putting it on an edge row and not between other varieties; by the time mine started growing upward it was already badly overshaded by the taller varieties.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good varieties. Should make for a mild cigarette with good flavor. You should average about 4 oz. per plant on the Yellow Twist Bud and Virginia Gold. Half that or less on the Izmir if traditionally spaced. I get around two cartons of cigarettes from a pound of leaf.

PirateGhost

Some cells in the Izmir trays are starting to show light green orbs in them, I'm assuming this is stage 1 in germination.

PirateGhost

Nee some help, some of my plants' leaves on my VG and YTB are lighter than green almost white like. What's going on?

20140323_212628.jpg

PirateGhost

Thanks guys, i've been airing them out for about a day or so now.Will I be able to save the plants from over watering?

indianjoe

Founding Member
Water only from the bottom and you should be able to save them, might have to add a little epsom salts to the water to green them up.

Nikfits

Speaking of resowing Turkish Izmer cells. I almost thought I was gonna loose my Izmer today. I let it get too dry. Didn't realize it, but the tray bottom was warped. The water level was uneven, so it wasn't getting to half the tray. They're perking back up now. Lost a few lower leaves, but it's still good. The leaves got real sticky - reminded me of what was said about tobacco leaves when they get larger.

I picked up a few of the type of trays you have for vegetables. They work great in taking up the water.

Good luck with your season PirateGhost!!!

Gary

Nikfits

I was just looking back on your pics. I get the feeling you may be putting water in when you see it's low in the bottom tray? You may want to watch the cell fiber rather than the level. If the fiber (tray) is very moist, you may want to let it get a little drier before you add more water. Just guessing. I looked at mine and see that it's wet halfway up. I just added water to it today for the first time (strawberries). It sucked up alot of water pretty quick. So it looks like they may retain water pretty good. I don't think that's a bad thing either.

Status
Not open for further replies.