Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

PirateGhost's 1st Year Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

PirateGhost

Hello everyone, this will be my first attempt to grow my own tobacco and will be welcome to any advice/criticism that is offered. I'll be growing about 14 plants (planned anyway). My plot will be Turkish Izmir and whatever Boboro will be sending me.

My plot so far. 20140226_183745.jpg

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Hey Pirateghost! Fellow Alabamian here. You have some nice looking soil there. Mine is really heavy with clay and I'm going to work in some sand and rotten sawdust to help that situation out. If you want to try out various varieties, the founder of this forum also owns www.wholeleaftobacco.com. He has some really nice aged burley. Burley especially needs to age at least a year. You will need a shredder to shred your leaf and he carries those also. (or he will, when the new model comes out) Smoking whole leaf while yours ages is a good way to sample different varieties to help you decide what you want to grow in the future. It help you get used to handling whole leaf. And if you like cigars, he has the best cigar leaf on the market. Best of luck with your season and welcome to the forum.

How much sun will your area get? Tobacco likes full sun.

DGBAMA

Till deeply, and be mindful of where the water drains off of the house. Tobacco likes loose and well drained soil and hates too much water/soggy dirt. Izmir can be planted fairly close together, I do mine at 10-12" apart. Other varieties need up to 30" spacing between plants.

PirateGhost

Thanks for the help Knuckle! The plants will get full sun, my back yard faces the East. :D I've smoked a lot of cigars and pipe tobaccos, but never knew the names of any of the bacco used. Im curious, when should I have a completely smokable product? I have a ton of friends waiting to get their hands on my finished product. lol

DGBAMA

Depending on the variety grown and method of curing, anywhere from a couple weeks to a couple years after harvest. Lots to learn but it is fun.

indianjoe

Founding Member
With lots of friends you might want to increase your plant numbers to 14 thousand ;) Keep in mind that the tobacco you grow can take a few weeks to be ready with a kiln, or up to a year or more if hanging.

jekylnz

Good luck with your first attempt. .you'll be right. .boboro will keep you on the right track and sort you out some great varieties. .he knows what needs to be done to produce some good quality home grown smoking baccy.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Boboro You are the Man, PG You got the bug buddy, Now Mama is going to get mad at the use of the tabul. (they leak sometimes). Any way That looks great! Fill it up. PS As I said befor- And You will see it when they poke up-- Roman numerals look like 10 million for 2 thousand and zero Don't exist. "YOU'LL SEE" LOL Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.