Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

TheOtherOne's 2014 OreGrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

This year I'll be planting the areas from last year. (cattle fence area, and containers)
The elders won't make any decisive decision as to where I'll be allowed to grow this year in the ground, and even if they do, they'll probably run the cattle through anyway. I figured it's better to just make a few cottonwood planters for the year, and compost them for soil when I'm done. The wood boxes will be 2 foot by 2 foot by 2 foot.

Most everything I plan to grow has already been planted at this point.
Peppers:
Red savina (Max)
Trinidad moruga scorpion
Carolina reaper
Jalapeno
Thai hot
Black prince (L-gene ornamental)
Naga jolokia
Piscilla

Tobacco:
Turkish Ismir
Makhorka
Bosnian burley
Prilep
Xanti yaka (reproduced through cuttings, 3rd gen)
Harrow velvet
Hopi rustica (I will most likely be killing this one. I don't want to have to remove every single flower to keep the makhorka above pure.)
Havana

All of the above have been started in clean spam cans with holes punched in the bottom. The soil is aged manure and decomposed wood.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I need to make another one. Swamp ash is a nasty wood to use.
What I'm REALLY looking for is a nice piece of soapstone. I love the flavor of bacca on soapstone.

I wasn't sure what you were talking about so I looked on ebay. That's some gorgeous rock. Some of it can be picked up at decent prices too. I'd like to see a thread on carving soapstone.

TheOtherOne

I'm actually really good at it. When I get a piece, I'll do a tutorial, but it's stupid simple.
A day to learn, a lifetime to master. The stone can be carved with simple tools such as a knife.
It's a similar mineral to the pipestone used by natives, and I've had the opportunity to partake in medicine pipes of this type, as well as owning a small collection before I moved to oregon of the smaller pipes.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm actually really good at it. When I get a piece, I'll do a tutorial, but it's stupid simple.
A day to learn, a lifetime to master. The stone can be carved with simple tools such as a knife.
It's a similar mineral to the pipestone used by natives, and I've had the opportunity to partake in medicine pipes of this type, as well as owning a small collection before I moved to oregon of the smaller pipes.

Can it be drilled and turned on a wood lathe?

TheOtherOne

I hand carve all my pipes, I've been told wood drills work for it, and all of my woodworking hand tools have worked. The thing about using power tools is the dust. It's a lot like talc.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Nice plant roster. How do You take the plants out of the cans? You mentiond Elders, Is this on the reservation? Maybe grow them behind the house or barn or the like so the cattle can't get at them. Post about Your pipes on the pipe forum here so We dont HI-JACK Your grow log by mistake.

TheOtherOne

Lol, these words are true. I'll make a thread about soapstone pipes when I get my grubby paws on a nice block.
I would use the term "Insane asylum" for where I live, certainly not a reservation.

I'll probably plant a few of my larger plants out in the scrap pile (think washing machine jungle)

TheOtherOne

-notes on the Xanti clones- I have been doing some interesting tests (torture) to this strain over the winter. I've been systematically letting the cuttings grow to about 6 inches before putting them in the cold until all the leaves die. I bring them inside and let them start to come back to life. I then take a sucker, and root it so I can start the process over again. 3rd generation indicates that I have performed this process on the plant 3 times since it grew from seed.

Any thoughts or opinions would be appriciated.

DGBAMA

Can it be drilled and turned on a wood lathe?

I never carved any, but have drilled a few holes.....easy on drill bits not very abraisive; for "stone" it is amazingly workable and has a really nice "feel" to it, kind of warm/silky when polished.

TheOtherOne

IMAG0193.jpgIMAG0194.jpgIMAG0195.jpgIMAG0196.jpgIMAG0198.jpg
The above pictures are Thai hot, Black prince, two harrow velvet, a yaka clone, and my seed container.
The bare looking yaka in the above post is the plant I've been taking the cuttings from. It survived at least 5 days under the snow in november. I wouldn't be surprised if it had been a no snow year to see this plant still alive outside.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Hopi rustica (I will most likely be killing this one. I don't want to have to remove every single flower to keep the makhorka above pure.)

You don't have to kill it. Just snip off the bud when it first swells, then pinch off the suckers. You'll never get flowers this way thereby protecting your other Rustica from cross pollination.

Markw

Jitterbug's totally correct you will have no problems. By the way is that a Dorset Naga chilli plant you you are growing. if so I hope you are not planning at eating them all at once Lol. if it is, it has a Scoville rating of 970,000

TheOtherOne

Jitterbug's totally correct you will have no problems. By the way is that a Dorset Naga chilli plant you you are growing. if so I hope you are not planning at eating them all at once Lol. if it is, it has a Scoville rating of 970,000

It's naga jolokia, I'm not too worried, seeing as it's hardly the hottest I have. My reapers have a max scoville rating of 1.5 million I believe. I'm using a stress tecnique as you can see. I'm taking tips every time they appear for the first few weeks to make the plant think it's being attacked, this should hopefully cause it to increase capacian content later in it's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.