Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nikfits 2014 Grow Blog Year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

I did my first big haircut last Sunday. Kinda hurt my feelings to cut so much just when they were looking good. In 5-7 days you will thank yourself for having done it; trust me.

Nikfits

Bob did a nice experiment in his 2012 Grow Blog where he transplanted some starts into bigger pots and he just left the rest in the cells and gave them haircuts as needed. The transplanted plants did start out bigger, but the non transplanted, trimmed plants caught up to them pretty fast. In a couple to three weeks they were the same size. Moral of the story, no need to transplant into larger cups, just keep haircutting.

I saw that. There were a set of 3 each. I'm glad he did that experiment. It's cool that they'll catch up so quickly. I was moving the first cull of plants (chia's) into a different cup - separating the stronger ones. I noticed, even though they are still small - their stems are tough. I wondered the same, if they will grow quickly like that experiment Bob did? I think I'll take a pic of them and see for myself in a few weeks from now. The other ones that are in the pots by themselves, I'm gonna try to place them in 5 gallon buckets. They're mainly cigar strains. Paying close attention to the wrapper strains. The others, well, just want to see what happens. I've thought to not give them a haircut, but I'm wondering if it might be a better idea to do so? Thinking about it. Bigger pot and haircuts might just make it that much better?

I did my first big haircut last Sunday. Kinda hurt my feelings to cut so much just when they were looking good. In 5-7 days you will thank yourself for having done it; trust me.

I can see they are much easier to take care of. On most of the ones with the 3rd set of leaves - I left alone. It looks as if they have nearly doubled in 24 hours. I think I see what you mean by another haircut. Yes, it bothered me too. They were looking good and then clip, clip ,clip. I had also read that it starts a nicotine kick from the roots after this. It would be nice to not have them ate up right after planting.

Nikfits

Caught more Crappy the other day. Cooked it up last night - yum. I put 7 fish remains in a sealed 5 gallon bucket with shredded up brown leaves, some bagged compost, unsulphured molasses, epsom salt, and coffee grounds. Then filled it with water. That brew has been going for two days so far. By the time I go to planting, it'll be ready for use. I plan on making a few more for the composting part of it. Maybe I'll catch a few today?

On a side note, I was doing some reading about a strain of wheat that growing deeper than the usual type of wheat. It was a staple food up untill the early 1900's in the U.S. It's called White Sonora Wheat. It's good in many ways. The husks are paper thin and easier to separate. Here's why I bring this out:

http://www.underwoodgardens.com/sli...ite-sonora-wheat-perfect-grain-home-gardener/
"White Sonora Wheat has a root structure much like a perennial prairie grass with long taproots and a web of smaller feeder roots, unlike the simple and shallow hybrid roots of today’s wheat. These longer taproots bring water and nutrition from deeper in the soils, making the plant less susceptible to moisture fluctuations. It also helps to open up the soil when the wheat is harvested as the root system decays, leaving behind a network of air and water passages. The wheat can thrive on marginal soils and actually produces better flavor on these soils, though production volume is lower than modern ones."

Just thought it was interesting to share.

Yep, I'm seeing I got some red clay dirt that needs some work. Not looking to do this above. Just thought it was interesting. Wouldn't mind to have some of it to grow, but gotta stop where I'm at, lol.

The first haircut was done last week, and see that it needs it again. Amazing how fast it grows.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Alfalfa has longer roots than say clover so it survives drought much better. If I'm not mistaken it also gives off a toxin from the root system to kill nearby competition like grass, etc. It would be nice if these traits could be bred into our tobacco plants. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.