Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Nikfits 2014 Grow Blog Year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikfits

I've gotten most of the seeds started (27). Took me a few days to get a bench built and two 4' x 8' florescent lights up. I looked into over-driving the florescent fixtures and went with it. I have to say it works great. One of them is not over-driven (over top my computer). I switched the new F32 T8 (GE Sunshine 2600 lumens) bulbs from the over-driven florescent to the one not over-driven and can say it is a significant difference in brightness. The temperature in the basement last night was about 60 - 62 degrees, with the over-driven lights it brought the temperature to 76+ degrees. I plan to overdrive the other florescent but will need to wait a while (1 ballast cost up to $28.00 and the bulbs $18.00 for 4 of them). With the setup I have, I think I will be able to get by. I can fit 6 flats under one 4' x 8' florescent. I have the lights setup to where I can adjust the heights easily. I can have them directly over the clear domes up to about 3' above them.

SANY0124.JPG

The lights can be lowered just over the trays. I raised them up this morning to moisten them up some.

SANY0104.JPG
It can be lowered more than this. This seemed to work out for the temperature (from 60, 62 to 76+ degrees).

SANY0120.JPG
The two green things sitting on top of the domes are for keeping track of the temperature. I've been keeping one outside and one inside to check the differences. The cups to the right are Beefsteak Tomato's. Gotta get some vegetable seeds. I want to try out the Oaxaca Corn Deluxestogie grew. My wife and I are working on that list.

Tobacco I'm growing:

401 Cherry Red
African Red
Big Gem
Reams 158
Virginia Brightleaf
Catterton
Orinoco
Tennessee Red Leaf
Kelly Burley
Silver River
Yellow Twist Bud
Alma Ata 315
Prilep P66 9/7
Black Sea Samsun
Bursa
Djebel 174
Ottoman (HY)
Samsun Maden
Tasova
Turkish Izmer
Vuelta Abajo
Alida Ahus
Connecticut Broadleaf
Dominican Olor
GC2
Habana 2000
Havana (unknown strain)
Havana 503B
Jalapa
Little Dutch
Lonnies Havana
Mass CK-1
Pennsylvania Broadleaf
Pennsylvania Red
Scantic
Swarr
Pergeu Brazil
Madole

Don't ask me if I'm hooked, lol. I believe I am. A many thanks to all that helped with the seed. I wouldn't be in this mess if it wasn't for all of you!!! Seriously, thanks a bunch, it is appreciated...

So there it is. 11 more to get started.

Gary

Aaron

That's a great list you've got there. I wish you the best of luck on your grow. It sure is going to be an exciting season with so many people doing big grows.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Looking good. Could those lights be 2' x 4' instead of 4x8?

Yeah, you are definitely hooked! Good luck with your season. If you're not crazy now, you will be by harvest time. ;)

Rickey60

I like your setup. Nice list. How many do you plan on planting? I am looking forward to following your progress. I'm about two weeks out from starting my seed.

Brown Thumb

Nice setup. I am a mig welder wire guy for hanging lights.
Good luck on your Grow this year.
BT

leverhead

I would say that's a VERY ambitious grow and I wish you the best luck and weather. From my own experience of going a little too far, prioritize your list early before you get real busy. Any decisions you may have to make later about relative importance of a variety to the end of the season will have the benefit of unrushed forethought. If all goes well, you'll be smoking something different all the time.

Nikfits

Yeah, you are definitely hooked! Good luck with your season. If you're not crazy now, you will be by harvest time. ;)

The ballast I have are made for 3 - 4 bulb operation. There was one of these in each fluorescent fixture. I have 3 of them, so I was able to put 2 ballast in 1 fixture. So 1 ballast that operates for 3 - 4 bulbs is now working for 2 bulbs. You can do the same with a 2' x 4' fixture. You would just need to get a ballast that operates for 3 - 4 bulbs. Or, get one that operates for 2 bulbs (if you have space to put an extra ballast inside the fixture). Also, everything that I've read on this says to use electronic ballast. It was easy to do. I found it in the forum somewhere. Here's the link: http://www.oocities.org/teeley2/overdrv1.html

It might be that I turn into a Baccy Nerd. What do you think?

I like your setup. Nice list. How many do you plan on planting? I am looking forward to following your progress. I'm about two weeks out from starting my seed.

As I was starting my seed I found a few hiccups in my plan. So I'm working on correcting them and will post the numbers later. I have a 20' x 40' area, plus space along side it. As well as on the other side of the house where it's a slop upwards. I plan to use landscaping timbers or something similar and step it up for beds.

I would say that's a VERY ambitious grow and I wish you the best luck and weather. From my own experience of going a little too far, prioritize your list early before you get real busy. Any decisions you may have to make later about relative importance of a variety to the end of the season will have the benefit of unrushed forethought. If all goes well, you'll be smoking something different all the time.

Yeah, I found a few things I need to look at again (the hiccups). It's nothing major, but need to make some changes. And smoking something different all the time is something I like - a good variety. One of the things that run through my mind is finding that one that I like for everyday smoke and not have enough. I'm taking your advice on the Bursa - it's going on the other side of the African Red. Both are tall growers and I do plan on staking it. Also the tall ones on the north end. My thoughts for now is to have another look at each one of the types I have and see if I've overlooked anything.

I know it looks like a big list for starters, but I've got time on my hands and am ready for the challenge. Hopefully I will not make many mistakes. I know there will probably be some.

Will this get in the way of fishing trips? Rofl! Tried to post two of my last years catch on here, but the pic size is too big (or maybe it's the bass - hee-hee).

Thanks for all the comments.

Gary

Nikfits

Trying to figure out if I'm nuts? I just may be.

So far I've had a number of twenty year olds ask what I'm doing. It strikes up a pretty good conversation, with interest. They ask, How long have you been doing this? Thinking I've done this before. I do let them know it's my first. And they're curious and wanting to watch the progress as well.

I smoke a pipe, roll my own cigs, and do like cigars. I don't smoke many cigars. I would if I could afford it. So maybe I'll find some good leaf out of what I grow to make my own?

I just finished getting all the seed started except for 4 of them which I ordered.

So that's 34 planted and 4 to go!!!

Gary

Nikfits

Wow, I was just reading over this again. Boy do I feel like a big ole dummy. Yeah, you know, they sure could be a 2' x 4' rather than the said 4' x 8'. I don't know what I was thinking about. :confused: But yes, they are 2' x 4' florescent fixtures. Not 4' x 8'

I think Boboro's "????" may have alot to do with my 4' x 8' fixtures. Probably thinks I'm wacko now, rofl!

I think I watched too many seeds fall into trays?

Well, going to bed and counting seed - I mean sheep? Goodnight and sorry for my confusion...

Gary

Nikfits

Had to raise the lights a little. Is 82 degrees too much? I'm thinking so, but I may be wrong. The fixture isn't hot at all. It's at 68 in the room right now (I opened up a spot in the duct work). In minutes by raising it up 4" (3 links) it's now at 76 degrees. Nice to know that 1" equals 2 degrees + or - for the lights.

Next on the list to do while the seeds are growing is to get the areas ready. I plan to spread it out a little (prepare one area at a time). For me that'll be the hardest part (bad back - hard to describe what it's like to those who don't have the problem). Good thing I got boys with muscle!!! I wish my oldest boy was here though. If I asked him for help, he'd say "when" and "where's the shovel." He doesn't know much about cars, but I have my 24 year old daughter who can turn a car around with her own hands, lol. That's the truth. One Christmas, about 6 years ago, all she wanted was Craftsman tools - that's what she got. When there's a car show, she's there.

I also need to get some of those bags to cover for seeds. Are the ones I've seen posted that you can get from Home Depot or Lowes good for this? I really want to get some that will not allow the critters in.

I'm going to have to spray the area too. There's a pile of small logs cut from a tree that fell two years ago (was told anyhow) that have a type of worm that's burrowed in between the bark and woody area. They are white, small and have a hard shell. I saw it in here somewhere too.

If the battery in my camera was good I'd take a picture of the areas I plan to plant. Have to plug it in for the pictures I'm taking right now.

I almost had a tiller for $28.00, it needed some work - but for $28.00 you can't beat it. Now what I'd like to use to dig (nice and deep) is the riding boxer trencher. Used one before on a job. It was so easy to use. The reason I think the box trencher would be better is for the depth. I couldn't tell you what the cost was for me to rent it. It's been a few years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAz6OA1egCY (48 seconds in).

For what it's worth, I didn't take anything bad from any comments. I've always tried to listen more before doing. Comments and opinions are appreciated. Leverhead has mentioned to me to basically have my eggs in order as I go. I think that's very important for most situations. Especially with the task I'm about to undergo. I've had to re-think a number of times as I've been going from one stage to the next. I think I've rearranged my planting plans about 5 or 6 times now, lol. I'd rather change the plans now than later when it's right on me.

Glad to be a part of the forum. :)

Gary

Nikfits

I started seeds in two trays on the 25th. I was showing my son how tiny the seeds are. As I was looking over them I noticed single little white legs - tiny - on the Bursa, African Red and Black Sea Samsun. Then just down in the first cell for Habano 2000 a single sprout, green and halfway standing up. And in the same group of Habano 2000 a few other green heads. But one sprout. I wasn't thinking I'd see this for a few more days, but there it is. On the 3rd day got a sprout. Purty cool.

Nikfits

SANY0177.JPG

I found these two little guys last night. First I saw one, then put a tooth pick next to it. Then looked over in the next cell (same location in cell). At first I thought there was another sprout along side it. Checked, and found it's one sprout per both. Do you think these guys were born with extra hands or could it be a different seed?

Gary

Nikfits

Some pics from last night:

SANY0158.JPG

After taking down the monitor (yeah, working on something different for that):

SANY0161.JPG

After the picture, I raised them up a few inches. Today I'll be reducing them down to 3 or 4 plants per cell. The guilt :(. I think I'm gonna place a few in cups to give to a few people if they're interested.

Gary

Nikfits

I see them in small percentage in my sprouts, they grow up to look like all the other plants.

That's what I was thinking too. I thought to separate them and see what happens. I'm betting you may have done this in the past?

leverhead

I did large quantities of allot of varieties last year. I know there were some mixed in, by planting time I couldn't find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.