Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Soapstone anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

I figured I'd make a thread about soapstone pipes. It's a great material I've used a couple times (lost them all on the way to oregon) and plan to make a new one soon.

I'll just leave this here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soapstone

-Can be carved with simple hand tools such as a pocket knife
-Completely heat resistant (at least under a few thousand degrees, they use it in metallurgy as a crucible)
-Comes in many colors

I'd like to see some soapstone pipes in here guys! And if anyone knows of any blanks for a good price, pm me.

DGBAMA

Sold here by weight. Don't know if it is a fair price or not. Appears to be by weight, not dimentions, so a phone call would be in order:

soapstone

garryricketson

Well this is not soap stone, it is Onyx,
a-stonepipe.jpg
Unlike soapstone, onix is rather difficult to work with, soap stone is much easier,and can be carved with a pocket knife, But anyway, just thought I would share this. I posted about this in the general discussion awhile back, but just now noticed this topic, about soapstone pipes,.. There are some more photos, here: http://garryricketsonartworks.com/images/stone-pipe.html

Planter

How warm does such a pipe get on the outside? Cooler than clay?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Soapstone is also used by welders to mark their cuts. Very heat resistant. I've had the mark still visible after cutting the metal with the torch.

Ishi

Not to hijack the thread but i have a piece of pipestone that should make 2 or more pipes if some one is interested in making them. I do not have time. PM me

TheOtherOne

I'd be quite interested! As I said, I've been looking for pipestone of soapstone for awhile, but I'm a bit too cash poor to just grab some online.

@ knucklehead the two are similar (maybe identical) minerals, but pipestone comes from a specific (and sacred) site.

Ishi

Pipestone comes from Minn and is now controlled by the Indians there. All that I have seen is red with some pieces having white specs or streaks in it. Local gem shop has some chunks. You buy it by the pound.
Dan

dubhelix

Is pipestone the same as soapstone?

Pipestone is Catlinite, a type of Argilite, which is a lithified mud composed primarily aluminosilicates and alkaline earths. Soapstone, while also a metamorphic rock, is composed primarily of Talc, which is a magnesium silicate. Soapstone is usually softer than Pipestone, though the hardness of both types varies based on source location. I've carved a pipe or two from Pipestone, using hand tools only. Made a mess of pink dust, but worked pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.