Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

The most fragrant Oriental?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Planter

In your experience, what´s the most fragrant Oriental variety? (Still looking for another one to grow this year.)

Ben Brand

In my limited experience in oriental, I would say Bursa. But like I said very limited experience. I am sure members like Deluxestogie will give you the right answer.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I quit growing Ottoman because it was just too perfume'y - even a small amount mixed in the blend was noticeable.

Jpcouling

I think Xanthi Yaka is incredibly aromatic and tastes very strongly of the classic Oriental note! I have limited experience with Turkish, but the Yaka was noticeably the most fragrant.

Planter

What orientals do you already have?

So far I´ve grown Xanthi, Baffra Basma and Tik Konlak.

In the pipe, pure Baffra Basma smells very similar to freshly lit Rattray´s Red Rapparee, but much more pronounced. The few Xanthi I sampled is more like Robert McConnell´s "Original Oriental", sort of a good Virginia with Oriental overtones. While the unlit leaves of the former two don´t smell that much, Tik Konlak leaves tend to release a distinct odour right from the early stages of the (air) curing process. Its smoke reminds me of Indian incense sticks, and leaves quite a ghost in the pipe. That really got me curious.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The answer to your question is open to quite a bit of speculation. I've smoked close to a dozen Turkish varieties and have a few that I think are very aromatic. The interesting thing though is that when I smoke the ones I think are aromatic no one has ever commented about the lovely smell. When I smoke others I universally get a "That smells really good what is it" response.
So here are a few that bystanders tell me are very fragrant

Tekkekoy
Bucak
Canik ( if I remember correctly, it's been a few years)
Smyrna

The interesting thing is these smell just as aromatic to me as most of the other Turkish varieties I've grown.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I agree, Canik and Tekkeköy are very fragrant, as you meant they both have lovely smell. Bucak, as a bright leaf variety, has too much flavor and a kind of flowery scent (to me) also it's really mild (even the tips).

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Might be. I sent FTT Samsun-Canik a few years ago

Check the GRIN # on the pack of seeds. There is a "0" sucrosester Canik and a "6.7" sucrosester Canik. I'm pretty sure I sent you the 0 sucrosester version. It is the one that people have commented on as being very fragrant.

Planter

Is Tekkeköy closely related to Samsun? (Don´t seem to be able to find much information about that variety.)

Planter

In my limited experience in oriental, I would say Bursa. But like I said very limited experience. I am sure members like Deluxestogie will give you the right answer.

Should Bursa be densely planted or does it need more space?

Planter

I wonder where Bursa fits in there - doesn´t it grow bigger than most Orientals?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
When I grew Bursa it was a very big plant but I planted it on 3 ft centers. When I grew Maden it was also a big plant but I also initially grew it on 3 ft centers. When I planted Maden on 8 inch centers it was a nice small plant, like a Turkish should be. I suspect that if Bursa where to be grown at about an 8 inch spacing it too would be small, not as small as Maden though but considerably smaller than if planted 3ft apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.