Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Dieu Cay (For thuoc lao)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtherOne

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A supplier for Vietnam contacted me with an offer to sell me Thuoc Lao. Not having ever heard of it, I looked it up. I saw a video of one of these being used and basically, you huff the living shit out of it (from a bong) until you suffocate yourself and pass out. I guess it would be a heck of a buzz when (if) you wake up.

TheOtherOne

Wow. I've used bongs (for lack of a better word) for my tobacco before, and it seems to cut the harshness a bit in rustica strains. This really doesn't seem like what I was going for at all. I think strait rustica from a pipe is about as strong of a buzz as I'd ever want to have!

Looking at it on youtube right now.

Jpcouling

Yeah it is essentially taking a big rip of Rustica and holding on for the ride! I like taking hits of Rustica in my corncob and feeling the alkaloids work their magic, but these Thuoc Lao smokers seem to do it in a context of digestion as well as enjoyment, but I read that on Wikipedia.

TheOtherOne

I had read it was supposed to "aid in digestion" on wikipedia earlier as well, but I'd imagine if it made you puke, all would be null and void. I guess it's all in the execution.

One would imagine the smaller the pipe, the more easily one could take a nice water filtered hit of rustica without becoming sick.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Tran might could tell us more. Maybe he'll see the thread and enlighten us. He's our new Vietnamese member.

Jpcouling

In fact, I just took a rip off my pipe and my god, this Rustica is great but it is really self limiting! Caution must be exercised! Shout out to Brown Thumb, by the way, he hooked me up with this stuff.

Markw

That is interesting viewing on youtube. Man it looks like you get a buzz. I remember my friend had a galliano bottle pipe or bong or what ever you want to call it, that thing was lethal !!!

TheOtherOne

I've always liked rustica. I'm using a tecnique shown to me by someone I know who uses N. rustica for religious reasons. Water denial and the constant removal of tips before it flowers will produce tiny leaves of a very high nicotine content. The strain I'm using is makhorka. I'd like to be able to filter it through water if I'm going to smoke it, but I certainly don't expect to be smoking enough of it to load a hookah! ;)

TheOtherOne

I like the flavor, but the overall majority of people I talk to try to cover it up somehow. I like the flavor, but the nicotine is definitely the main attraction.

You guys are making me wish I hade some right now, lol.

Jpcouling

Does N. Rustica have a good flavor or is the high nicotine the main attraction?

I also enjoy the flavor, sometimes I have noticed an intense strong cigar like note to Rustica, while other times it has its own distinct aromatic qualities. The cured tobacco smells nothing like the tobacco we know. It is raisin like, as mentioned in previous threads, and kind of noxious. The nicotine content is also another big benefit. My consumption goes down big time with Rustica. Currently I have not been smoking cigarettes, just having some smokes in the pipe through the day with Rustica blended in. It is a nice mix of added flavor with a greater satisfaction than smoking another bowl, another cigarette, etc.

Jpcouling

Can't say as I have, but it reminds me of how the shamans smoke rustica cigars in ayuhuasca ceremonies! Talk about putting fuel on a fire!

Jpcouling

I thought the shamans in south america used a ...different.... route of administration :D

Haha they do it every which way you can imagine! I would be interested in how they make "ambil", a tobacco syrup! anyways, yeah do we have a consensus if Thuoc Lao is a specific variety of N. Rustica?

TheOtherOne

I've always thought they probably got it from the soviets. (Some makorka variety maybe?)
I have heard from others that N. rustica grows stronger in a tropical setting, but of the rustica I've tried, the lowland low water plants here in the valley I grew where quite strong compared to rustica from other areas.

Might be in the curing though.

DonH

I like the taste of Rustica as a change of pace. I was about to give up on it because it's a poor producer, I have limited space, and it suckers like crazy, but after curing I liked the taste. I made a high nic blend of one part Rustica, one part One Sucker, one part African Red and one part Del Gold and it came out really nice.

PirateGhost

Thuoc Lao tastes really mild and full, I LOVE IT. The buzz is out of this world as well (feels stronger than dokha to me). If you want to try a small sample medwakh.com sells Thuoc Lao and kiseru pipes for it. You will not be disappointed.

TheOtherOne

Can't find thuok lao on there, but it's a pretty cool site!
I'm really wondering if there's a special curing method for thuok lao, or if it's just the strain of rustica they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.