Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Wrapper fermentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Brand

Read in an old 2010 Cigar Aficionado about Cain Cigars. They dont say for how long they ferment their wrappers, but what they say is, they dont ferment the wrappers with the fillers as the fermentation time is different. I was wondering, how long do wrappers need to be fermented? If we ferment fillers 4-5 weeks, how long wrappers?

In the article they also give a blend of their Straight Ligero cigar, 25% Esteli; 27% Condela and 30% Jalapa, wonder what the rest was?

The article says:" it is typicly credited the wrapper delivers 60% of the flavour of the cigar, depending on the ring gauge.
Ben

Knucklehead

Founding Member
The article says:" it is typicly credited the wrapper delivers 60% of the flavour of the cigar, depending on the ring gauge. Ben

I've smoked cigarettes for so long I tend to inhale after every 3rd or 4th puff of a cigar. Mouth taste is definitely from the wrapper, but I get a strong filler taste when inhaling.

Planter

Filler for "Toscano" cigars undergoes a wet and rather hot fermentation, the wrapper is prepared separately, and seems to be subjected mainly to controlled ageing of the finished cigar. (Recommended book: "The Toscano" by Francesco Testa and Aroldo Marconi)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Most of the tobacco companies consider their fermentation process proprietary. Cigar wrappers typically are fermented at a lower temperature than fillers and binder tobacco. Almost all of the reports I've read have shown that the temperature range for wrappers is between 105 and 120 F. Time is not as critical as temperature when it comes to bulk pile fermenting.

Ben Brand

Stupid question!! If I want to use Con Broadleaf as a wrapper and a filler, do I sort the wrappers before fermenation, for lower temp fermenting, or do I ferment all the tobacco, hope for the best and then sort out the wrappers?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Stupid question!! If I want to use Con Broadleaf as a wrapper and a filler, do I sort the wrappers before fermenation, for lower temp fermenting, or do I ferment all the tobacco, hope for the best and then sort out the wrappers?

Can you do a little of both to see which you like best?

Do you have a kiln or are you using some other method, like piling? I'm still confused about the difference.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
For what it's worth I've never seperated my wrappers. I kiln all my cigar leaf at 120 F for 4 weeks. Might make a difference though to kiln your wrapper at 110 and your filler/binder at 125. I think one of the reasons that wrappers are kilned at a lower temp is because they are shade grown and therefore considerably thinner than sun grown leaf.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with JBD. CT Broadleaf is a hefty, sturdy leaf. I suspect that it needs the same kilning for wrapper as for filler. CT Shade, by contrast, is thinner and more delicate, and may remain a lighter color if kilned more slowly (and possibly at a lower humidity).

As I've reported before, with FL Sumatra and Machu Picchu Havana, after a month of kilning @ ~125ºF x 4 weeks, the lower leaf remains light-colored and the upper leaf leans toward maduro.

Bob

rainmax

Founding Member
I have been in Cuba recently and I bought book from Cassa del Habana. They have different fermentation for filler and binder and different for wrapper for their Habanos.

Shade grown wrappers are first traditionally air cured for 50 days or controlled air cured for 25 days. Then they have only one fermentation 20 days+ and than aging in tercios minimum six month.

Filler and binder.
Volado and binder
50 day air, two fermentation (20, 15-25) aging in Pacas min. nine months
Seco 50 day air, three fermentations (30, 15+, 45-60) Pacas 12-18 months
Ligero and media tiempo 50 day air, three fermentations (30, 15+, 90) Pacas min. two years

But this is Cuba. They also say in this book that capa or wrapper contributes little to the flavour of a Habano, but it stands as the ultimate symbol of the cigars's perfection. Maybe those wrappers need more aging. Try something between.

El Gallo

Really nice cigars, the wrapper looks dark and oily did you put it in the kiln ?

Wilbur

Oops, I meant to post this on the pic of your stick posting...

I havent smoked any yet. Will be soon in a couple of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.