Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Tobacco additives

winston-smoker

Interesting read, thanks for posting it. But this raises a question about governments lying too. Government health departments keep insisting that additive-free cigarettes are not safer, and yet this report is quite clear about the possibly greater dangers resulting from the use of additives. So which is it? If additives may present added dangers, then how can it be that additive-free cigarettes aren't less dangerous?

Matty

Thanks Lakota, I'm fairly handicapped with computers.

Winston Smoker, Smoking is relatively unhealthy additives or not. Additives that have been used in tobacco products had been deemed safe for oral consumption but many have not been tested for safety if they are burnt and the smoke inhaled or the safety of them being incorporated with other substances. There are many things to consider when using additives.

My main interest in the document is the science of manipulating tobacco, not so much the health side of it. The part about using licorice and how it becomes a carcinogen when it is burnt got me thinking whether or not to use it in a casing recipe.

bonehead

My main interest in the document is the science of manipulating tobacco, not so much the health side of it. The part about using licorice and how it becomes a carcinogen when it is burnt got me thinking whether or not to use it in a casing recipe.
i read about some kind of bean extract that wasn't good for you and how they used some synthetic flavoring for the tobacco. i can't remember the thread. i think it was about pipe tobacco though.

Matty

i read about some kind of bean extract that wasn't good for you and how they used some synthetic flavoring for the tobacco. i can't remember the thread. i think it was about pipe tobacco though.

Tonka bean, contains coumarin. Some types of cinnamon share the same trait.

winston-smoker

Tonka bean, contains coumarin. Some types of cinnamon share the same trait.

The paper mentioned coumarin. It also mentioned the fact that additives that are safe when ingested may not be when pyrolysed. Of course I realize that smoking is "relatively unhealthy" additives or not -- that wasn't the point of my post. My point is how governments want it "both ways": to tell us that additive-free cigarettes are not "safer" than those which have additives, while at the same time knowing that at least some of these additives may, in fact, make smoking more hazardous, and are just waiting with baited breath for a reason to further regulate, or extort more money from, "big tobacco."

oldbear

Every plant flavoring was originally evolved for defense against pests or herbivores, so they are all potentially toxic.
The smoke flavoring we value so much in barbeque, hickory flavoring, even baked bread contains known carcinogens.
The most potent carcinogen known to man is aflatoxin, which is a common contaminant of bread and peanut butter.
California now has warning signs in Starbucks stating that materials in baked bread and coffee are known to cause cancer and reproductive harm.
Fresh mountain air contains radioactive CO2 gas and if the mountains are granitic they contain radon, probably far more serious to smokers than even the cigarette smoke they inhale.

Oldbear