Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from Switzerland

Status
Not open for further replies.

=Havanna=

Hello,
I'm trying for the first time to grow my own tobacco this year. I live in the area of Zurich where the summers can be quite hot. Although the climate is not like Cuba or the Dominican Republic, but it should already work with my care and God's help;). I am interested in tobaccos that are suitable for the production of cigars. I want to try the following varieties:
Havanna 162
Florida Sumatra
Zimmer Spanish
Little Dutch
What do you think about the varieties?

Greetings from Switzerland

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to FTT. There are many numbered Havana varieties, each with its own characteristics. I'm not familiar with 162. The other varieties will make some very nice cigars.

Be sure to read our tobacco growing FAQ (link at the top of every page).

Bob

Markw

Hi and welcome to FTT. it looks like you have a good list there.I presume you are a cigar smoker, Have you got your seeds started yet

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. Please start a grow blog under the Grow Blog forum, I'd love to follow along with your season.

rainmax

Founding Member
Welcome and good luck with wether and all. Florida Sumatra is one of my favorites. Little Dutch I will grow for the first time. Where did you get those strains of tobaccos? Are you sure for Havana? I couldn't get any info on 162.

=Havanna=

Hello to all
Thanks for the kind words. Jitterbugdude was right. It was a write error by me (Havana 142 is correct). A nice moderator from another forum gave me the seeds. I hope I can do it with the Grow blog Forum. Question to all ... are tobaccos sensitive to calcareous earth?

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum, as to "calcareous earth", I am assuming you mean the general low alkalinity and content of limestone and calcium deposits. Give it a soil test and generally it may be a good soil to grow by adding what the soil test determines.

istanbulin

Founding Member
... Question to all ... are tobaccos sensitive to calcareous earth?

You may have an opinion about your soil type from this page.

http://eusoils.jrc.ec.europa.eu/library/maps/country_maps/metadata.cfm?mycountry=CH

There're several types of calcareous soils (Terra Rosso (red), Regosol (grey) etc.). Main characteristic of calcerous soils is having a higher pH (alkaline). Because of this it may sometimes cause Zinc deficiency on some plants.

For example, in Terra Rosso (Mediterranean red soil), although it's not very fertile (actually tobacco is not very picky), tobacco grows real good (i.e. Aegean Region). If your soil is calcerous, there's no need to worry too much. Regosols are generally looser than Terra Rosso which makes the soil easier to cultivate.

pyrotech

Hi, welcome I'm a new comer myself, and already learned alot in a short space of time. Also in tobacco terms love your country especially Synjeco as a great supplier for pipe tobacco and some of the traditional Swiss blends and Gesto for cigars.

Status
Not open for further replies.