Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Squeezyjohn's 2014 Grow Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

DGBAMA

The silver river is an amazing grower. Mine made 6foot height before budding last year. Yours look great. Be prepared for sticky hands when priming/handling them; the leaves will feel almost like they have been coated in spray glue later. :D

Markw

Good to see the Silvers are doing well Squeezy,you will need to try the BCB next year, they are monsters!! your Yacon plants are doing well this year, I hope that the YTB does well. remember what Don said that YTB cured on the plant was one of the best he has smoked.

squeezyjohn

Thanks Mark - and thank you again for the seeds - whatever the leaf turns out like these plants are hugely satisfying to grow!

Excuse my ignorance but what is BCB by the way?

DGBAMA

Thanks Mark - and thank you again for the seeds - whatever the leaf turns out like these plants are hugely satisfying to grow!

Excuse my ignorance but what is BCB by the way?

Bolivian Crillo Black. It looks and grows a lot like the SR. I have some going this year and look forward to seeing how it smokes.

squeezyjohn

It's been very hot and high humidity here the last 2 days (in the 90's Farenheit which will make the strongest Englishman wilt - we're not used to it!)

Now we've got spectacular thunderstorms coming ... I've been watching them flashing from the direction of London for the past 4 hours and went to the allotment at dusk to tie everything down! Not much I can do for the tobacco apart from covering the newly transplanted late season Rusticas with net tunnels in case there are hailstones.

Beautiful at the allotment at twilight though ... I saw a baby hare in the field behind (a leveret) and then as I was leaving in the half light I saw the silhouette of a young tawny owl perched on my squash supports who then swooped and caught a vole from my plot.

Beautiful! Makes it all worthwhile!

squeezyjohn

Nah Boboro ... not unbelievalve ... it's just karma for all the sunshine you guys normally get while it pisses down with cold rain on us!

squeezyjohn

Just been looking at it now - we just had a triple strike very close by. It's some crazy storms today!

Markw

Hi there Pogreen I hope that you season is going well, yes it is a good site they even cover our friends on the other side of the pond and down in Aus land. You could even zoom in on the map but they are still BETA testing it so this has been removed. it is accurate to about a quarter of a mile .

Squeezy the more help we can get the better. I hope your year is going well

squeezyjohn

Still going really good on the allotment! The sunny days are still with us this year - and the tobacco is loving it!

IMG_0015.jpg
Here's the Silver River - most bottom leaves are two and a half foot by 16 inches. Some of it is beginning to show flower buds so I have a bag at the ready for the nicest specimen.

IMG_0016.jpg
And here is my early rustica patch (Mohawk) - I'm going to bag the latest flowering one with the biggest leaves although there is no other rustica in flower at the moment (and nobody else growing that I know of) ... These were planted with a measly 20" spacing and the leaves are still pretty normal sized for any rustica that I've grown before.

Elsewhere on the patch I have Oxford 207 which is making a good effort - but still has smaller leaves than I'd like really. Also African Red which are looking very similar to the Oxford 207 - not as gigantic as the hype says for me - and most disappointing of all is the Yellow Twist Bud some of which has yellowed on the lower leaves and has bolted to flower without making it over 2ft tall - some of the leaves are quite big - but there seems something wrong with this area of the patch, I think it might be mineral deficiencies due to a lot of rain washing the nutrients from the soil early on in 2014.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Don't feel bad or responsible. The problems you are experiencing are almost forum wide. Many of my plant varieties are stunted, flowering early and putting on suckers way before being topped. Your patch looks great. You'll have a fine harvest. I predict that since so many are having growing problems, the Tobacco Gods are going to make up for it with excellent curing weather. Best of luck my friend.

POGreen

I'd say that Silver River Plant is looking just Great. Similar to the Bolivian Criollo Black.
Think I'll grow some next year.
Could you have access to any form of manure Squeez ?

Status
Not open for further replies.