Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

POGreen's Grow Log 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

POGreen

Thanks DGB , I agree with you , its going to be real interesting to see how deep they can go.
On the other hand we will not know until the hole grow is over.......
Here is the guy I was influenced by : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtGstVZeEsU
He's got a homepage aswell : http://www.skurupsborren.se/ , perhaps you can translate the language via your browser , Chrome is excellent.

DGBAMA

Having the firmer soil around the holes should minimize blow downs when they get tall.

POGreen

Yes it absolutely will DGB , when I plant'em I have this idea of carving soil of the edges of the holes and in that way make it more of a pond + get some more soil (clay) and stabelize the plant with.
As I mentioned before I'm very fond of having those holes to water in.

EcepRsf.jpg
One out of two old bus shelters ? we have out on the area where you can shelter from rain and wind
FK8w58C.jpg
The other one , where u could sit and eat something or drink your afternoon coffee
DlrnncG.jpg
A container where the association keeps its valuable tools , lawn mower and other stuff
5LoTz7x.jpg
Another experiment I'm doing this year , but prepared it last year 2 gallon buckets mostly stuffed with organic waste like nettles and grassclippings , topped with pure sand.
Gonna plant some baccy in every one of them and see how that goes.....

POGreen

6qQsQdj.jpg
I culled , sorted out or thined out my GC 1 Rustica from India just a few minutes ago with a pair of tweezers , so now there's only one plant in each cup.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
I was looking at Your holes You dug and I did that last Year. This Year I was going to hire a deep tiller.However they wont go the two ft' deep I wanted. So for less money I can rent a post hole auger. I fig. it to be less water and less blow over like last year. But that was for the house. In the feild like Yours, Thats alot of holes .LOL But less time. I used fish, potting soil and sand mix to put back it. Then the reg. dirt that came out to cover and burm.

POGreen

Yeah I know it's a lot of holes , maybe 200 in the 2 allotments ranging from 1 1/2 feet to 3 feet deep and I put in a hole lot of of work on'em but I'm so stuck with this idea of mine that I can't let it go.
How did the holes work out for you ?
Guess I've spent weeks in time drillin' on the two allotments.
At times one wonders what I've gettin myself into.

rainmax

Founding Member
Thanks DGB , I agree with you , its going to be real interesting to see how deep they can go.
On the other hand we will not know until the hole grow is over.......

I like this tool very much. I'm using Fiskars quick drill with two diameter. One is 10 cm/ 4 inch and 20 cm/ 8 inch.
In just few minutes you can go up to 70 cm deep. If it is a lot of stones in the ground you can hand pick them out but it works with smaller ones up to 8 cm or 3 inch.
I find out that is very simple to stretch the hole with shovel when you have drilled it first. That is also my recommendation for your holes. Like I understand tobacco roots also needs a lot of oxygen which is more on the surface and tobacco roots go at least half meter in diameter.
Anyway, we will learn something new from your system.

rainmax

Founding Member
btw I like your container... I wish I had one. But I'm like hamster and will be looking for the second one soon.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The post hole drill I am going to use takes two guys to operate. It has a 12" auger on it. It will go 3', I only need two. Last year I used a dimolition hamar with a welded on 8" auger. And it worked great do to I was a mess when I was done. The storage building pictured, You can buy here for 5,000 to 7,000 USD. They are sea packs used one or two times. They deliver them. We also use them for job site office and materials.

POGreen

Wow ,you use a Fiskars Quick Drill down in Slovenia which is made in Sweden ?
Comes as a great surprise to me , didn't think they had that brand down in Slovenia.
The one I use costed me 25 US dollars and is actually working pretty good , but I'd prefer a Fiskars Quick Drill.

zsmCtnH.jpg

POGreen

From one thing to another , a newbee at our swedish tobaccoforum http://www.alternativ.nu/index.php?topic=153621.1080 had a very exciting idea to keep snails away from our baccy.
She meant you to crush/press a few or as many cloves of garlic u like in to a bucket of water and let it stay there for a day or more .After that you take a watering can with that ''garlicwater'' and sprinkle it around the fences of your patch or on the hole patch.
Snails does not like garlic.

rainmax

Founding Member
I'm using a lot of Fiskars tools and yes we have representative company in my country. Power Gear Bypass l78, Ax X10, Power Gear P94,....
Good stuff. But like all other companies goes in mass production now, so quality suffer...:(

Knucklehead

Founding Member
We have a lot of Fiskars garden tools here also. I use the bypass pruning shears on my four wheeler to cut branches out of the trail. I also have the limb lopper. They are good tools, much better than the made in china stuff.

Brown Thumb

You shure like to have a good workout. You are probably as strong as a Ox.
No powered tools? It makes my back ache with pain just seeing a shovel and a wheelbarrel.
That is a nice looking allotment you got there.
Nice grow you got going on. Have a Super Season.
BT

Status
Not open for further replies.