Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe tobacco processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jojjas

I have had a few batches with to hi moist content in my leafs and mold as a result , so i buy a gadget (yepp , i like gadgets and gizmos :D) for determent the moist content in tobaccoleafs and in processed tobacco
20170106_161808.jpg
Had to test it in a tin of newly open blue capstan flake , and as my suspicions was right over 20% they had to ad something to avoid microbiological growth . And of course if the pipetobacco manufacturers could sell water they probably do
And i thought me have found that, hi moist content gives substantial tounge bite in any kind of pipetobacco

20161219_172655.jpg
So this time mold in my harvest should be avoided , and todays measurment in the first batch from kiln is 22-25 %
It had to be dryed down to 15% or less

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Most commercial pipe tobacco falls between 20% and 40%. The large amount of propylene glycol that they add prevents mold growth.

burge

I was thinking with the perique it could be because of the alcohol used to ferment the tobacco

Smokin Harley

I was thinking with the perique it could be because of the alcohol used to ferment the tobacco

There is no alcohol used in the perique fermentation .
Simply tobacco leaf that still has moisture in it , pressed so the leafs natural juices are expressed from the leaf cells/tissue and that same juice covers the leaf , this liquid cover along with time and the pressure ensures an anaerobic fermentation...along similar lines of making sauerkraut except without salt.

burge

Well I would have to completely disagree. Whiskey barrels are used and wood absorbs alcohol. Yes there is in essence alcohol

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I read it somewhere, here maybe, that someone bought used whiskey barrels and if you put water in it it would pull another bottle or so out of the wood.

Smokin Harley

Many pipe tobaccos are top flavored with alcohols/spirits -whiskey and rum are probably the top two. Any alcohol in the flavoring evaporates before we can smoke it. Any alcohol remaining in the used barrels would flavor the leaf , not ferment it. Yeast consuming sugars is what causes fermentation to make alcohol. The yeast is exhausted in the process. If alcohol continued to ferment , the proof would continue to rise after bottling. Natural sugars within the leaf along with natural yeasts that form are what ferments the leaf to make the perique what it is. The used barrels would have essences and flavors ,but I doubt very much alcohol left in it to affect it.

ChinaVoodoo

I read it somewhere, here maybe, that someone bought used whiskey barrels and if you put water in it it would pull another bottle or so out of the wood.

I knew a guy who did that. It's called swish. You put a couple gallons(??) of water in, and lay the barrel on its side, turning it a little bit every day until you've gone around a couple times.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It might be worth it to Bill but I've seen people pick up used cig butts off the ground and smoke them. Might be worth it to them but not to me.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Fresh dumped barrels , adding water ( distilled ) does work and the whiskey is high proof . Flavor and taste is same as the original hooch . Have to filter it because of charcoal .

Gavroche

Hello

I am sorry but my English is so bad that I do not understand or I do not see where is the process " pressure vapor "...

Je suis désolé mais mon anglais est tellement mauvais que je ne comprends pas ou je ne vois pas où est le processus "pression vapeur"...

ChinaVoodoo

Gavroche

Thank you China not the cavendish I him(it) already remit to You I look pressed for virginia vapor...

Merci la Chine... pas le cavendish... je le fais déjà grâce à Vous...je cherche virginia pressé vapeur...

ChinaVoodoo

Thank you China not the cavendish I him(it) already remit to You I look pressed for virginia vapor...

Merci la Chine... pas le cavendish... je le fais déjà grâce à Vous...je cherche virginia pressé vapeur...

I don't know. Can you please quote a post which mentioned this process?

DistillingJim

Are you referring to stoving under pressure? Its often used for virginia flakes?

Gavroche

Are you referring to stoving under pressure? Its often used for virginia flakes?

Yes, I believe that that's it ... I asked about a French forum for the name of a commercial tobacco which contains this tobacco ...

oui , je crois que c'est cela... j'ai demandé sur un forum français le nom d'un tabac commercial qui contient ce tabac...

Status
Not open for further replies.