Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Indianamac's 2014 Grow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indianamac

I'm going to jump in here ahead of BAMA for a change. lol. For my seed grow outs last year, I grew four of each variety. I planted three of each variety and kept one back for backup. I didn't need a single backup. I think it's this world class Alabama soil. You know that's how Cuba got started didn't you? Our soil washed south in a really wet spring and ended up down in the gulf where there was already this big log jam. Well, that Alabama soil got hung up on that log jam and started forming an island. After a few years, voila! there's Cuba. Made entirely of good Alabama baccy soil. It's in the books, look it up. Alabama also grows the best Orientals in the world, ask Istanbulin, he can tell you.

Aaah! I did not realize that! Thanks for the history lesson. Hey, wait a minute. Are you sure that soil wasn't originally from Indiana and washed down to Alabama in the first place? All I have here is clay!

I really hope I don't need the backups either. I've had pretty good luck with tomatoes and peppers but don't know what to expect with the baccy.

DGBAMA

Lol Knucks.

Mac, survival is nearly 100% for me on transplant as long as they don't dry out.

The ones in germination trays can be kept 4 weeks or better as long as they don't dry out. They will stagnate growth at about 1" tall and wait for their turn.

Indianamac

Lol Knucks.

Mac, survival is nearly 100% for me on transplant as long as they don't dry out.

The ones in germination trays can be kept 4 weeks or better as long as they don't dry out. They will stagnate growth at about 1" tall and wait for their turn.

Thanks DGBAMA.
It's good to know that the seedlings can be kept in germ. trays longer. I feel better about having some in reserve for awhile. Gives me time to maybe set up some more lights!!

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
As I've pointed out elsewhere, I treat them like bonsai. Too tall--snip the main stalk near a node, then select a single sucker. At this size, they just keep on chugging. If I allow one to bloom indoors, there are no insects, so the seed is pure. These babies typically produce two blossoms--so two seed pods. Some have produced seed three or four times since they were originally placed in the pots.

I don't recommend this as a method of propagation, but it certainly demonstrates that they can hold in a small pot for a long time. At some point, I'll put one or two into the ground, and see how the plant grows in the soil, after their long confinement to a tiny pot.

Bob

Indianamac

Hey All,

Got some Update pics for your viewing pleasure. It's been two weeks since germination, one week since transplanting. The seedlings that were not transplanted, look pretty good still. My plans are to transplant some more this weekend. I don't know where I'm going to put them but I'll figure it out later. Any how, here you go:

McFugly handrolled cigars 001.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 002.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 006.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 007.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 008.jpg

Indianamac

Your transplants and seedlings look very good. Waiting for your next update and pictures.

Thanks Rickey60!
There's more to come shortly. I am transplanting more this weekend and will update again soon.
Before that though, I got to get some sticks wrapped, from my recent purchase form WLT. Knucklehead twisted my arm to buy some Piloto & Aleman....

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks Rickey60!
There's more to come shortly. I am transplanting more this weekend and will update again soon.
Before that though, I got to get some sticks wrapped, from my recent purchase form WLT. Knucklehead twisted my arm to buy some Piloto & Aleman....

I didn't have to twist too hard. lol. How are you liking the leaf?

Your seedlings are looking nice and healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing them take off in that Indiana soil.

Indianamac

I didn't have to twist too hard. lol. How are you liking the leaf?

Your seedlings are looking nice and healthy. I'm looking forward to seeing them take off in that Indiana soil.

Hey Knuck!
The arm is doing great by the way!!
The leaf is good. I think I need to cut down on the ligero a bit but they tasted good. I am working on more right now. Letting the sticks dry alittle before wrapping. Thanks for the reccomendation.

I too am looking forward to how the tobacco grows here. I now have 48 more seedlings transplanted and more to come. I'm trying to plant as much Indian Black and Little Dutch as possible, as they will make up most of my filler tobacco. They all actually are a little easier to handle, after an addtional week of growing. I will keep that note for next year. Thanks for check'n in on me....

Indianamac

Here's the 48! These are getting some natural light, via the slideing glass door. Tomorrow's forecast here is 57* and sunny!!!!

McFugly handrolled cigars 009.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 011.jpgMcFugly handrolled cigars 012.jpg

DGBAMA

That window looks ideal. Hold on and enjoy the ride, from here they only grow faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.