Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from W Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKtx

How Y'all doin'
Best wishes from the Permian Basin in West Texas. I make my livin' down here pouring concrete for the oil boom currently happening in the area,place is a madhouse. Ain't no reason for a fit man to not have a job in this country now,I'll tell ya that.
I smoked chemical sticks for 40 years and to tell you the truth all I was doing was feedin' my vitamin n habit. I rarely enjoyed smoking anymore they tasted like cow patties. We'll about a year ago a feller gave me a myo. He had purchased the baccy from a smoke shop in my hometown,man it was good.So I mozied on over there and bought a lb. and some beretta tubes and a top-o-mastic machine. We'll after a few days I was regrettin' my decision because I was coughing like the dickens, I mean some foul stuff was exiting my lungs. So, I headed to the shop to find a milder blend possibly. The feller at the shop told me the blend I had was not the problem,it was those factory made jobbers I had smoked and I was detoxing from and he told me to stay the course and it would get better. Sure 'nough I cleared up and haven't looked back
recently I decided to shop on these interwebs and found WLT and another outfit, then found this place. After a little studying I made the plunge and put in my order to Don,yup I went with the feller you guys suggested. So my first order was a Sampler and a lb. of red flue cured and a,1lb. Brightleaf FC. I didn't order any casing and I'm about to correct that along with a lb. of Turkish. I did some tinkerin' yesterday and I feel like the red leaf bright leaf and Turkish are gonna be my main ingredients. Now I don't know wth I'm looking at or doing but this stuff looks and feels great and tasted even better. I'm checking the threads for info on casing and blends and what not but any input would be much appreciated.
Now for growing, I was raised on a ranch/farm so I have some skills. Where I stay during the work week down here in the Permian,the ground is crap,we're in a drought all over West Texas so the already arid conditions are really bad. Wondering how a 6% humidity would affect a baccy plant?

Thanks for all y'all's input on this forum,I imagine there's more people like me that are lurkin' and studying . You fellers are a friendly bunch ,my kinda people, that made it easy for me to chime in and speak up, you know West Texans naturally dont say much( well except for a few loud mouths that give the rest a bad name) :).

Y'all take care now, and thanks for all your help BKtx

holyRYO

I decided to shop on these interwebs and found WLT and another outfit, then found this place. After a little studying I made the plunge and put in my order to Don,yup I went with the feller you guys suggested. So my first order was a Sampler and a lb. of red flue cured and a,1lb. Brightleaf FC.

Glad to see you are off to a great start, enjoy, and welcome to the forum.

DonH

Welcome, BKtx! If you like the combo of Flue Cured Red and Turkish, you might want to try the Yedi Turkish Blend at WLT that comes with the casing. It's an amazing blend.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Sounds like Yer from the Odesa area. The ground there is pepperd with pot ash. That is not a problem with growing tobacco. I gave a buddy some plants last year and He said they did fine. He is from the Intrepid pot ash area. He ran water when the sun started down so they would soak all nite. He asked for more this year becaus He cant get them to start but does fine when they are above six or so inches. Welcom to the site. FTT has some great things as well as great folks.

Aaron

Welcome to FTT! There's lots of folks here with similar growing conditions and it can be done. I think the more difficult part is the curing in arid climates. you'll need to keep the leaf from drying out too fast. Don't let it worry you too much though. Keep reading the forum and you'll be a pro in no time.

BKtx

Welcome, BKtx! If you like the combo of Flue Cured Red and Turkish, you might want to try the Yedi Turkish Blend at WLT that comes with the casing. It's an amazing blend.

Yup, figure in time that's what I'll do,Don. I noticed on one of the blend descriptions some blends have as many as 9 varieties. So ,as a novice I don't expect to be able to match a perfected blend. I'm intrigued and stumped by the good and also less desirable (for me) qualities of the burley and Maryland, there is a taste in there that I really like. Now I need to study up on how to tame those special beasts. I don't have the time or money to acquire the equipment for some of the things mentioned,least I don't think I do.
This leaf thing is some cool stuff. I'll share my first impression/experience from yesterday. I opened my delivery and a couple of bags ( great job btw) took some scissors like I saw some cat do on the tube lol, sliced me up some red leaf as quick as I could,jammed it in my machine.I couldn't contain myself, I was in a frenzy,gonna get me some of this stuff burning. Fired it up and says to myself wth? I hate this! But being the never give up type,I take a couple more pulls and my senses start spinning and the old hard wired idea of what smoke'em should taste like shorted out. Now I'm thinking that's different,couple more pulls I'm saying BK you're a freakin' genius,a real Einstein.....BWAHAHAHA.
So , after all that I realize the whole thing is absolutely new , kinda like going to some great big buffet of stuff you ain't never ett before,ahh ya gonna be fun. Thanks Again Gentleman and Ladies,

MadOshea , yes sir,actually staying in Midland for work,My home is in Lubbock, soil is better up there, but I'm not sure the wife of me would water my valuable crop the way it's needs to be.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. We're gonna have us some fun! You have a long grow season so it's not too late if you want to get some seedlings going.

BKtx

Welcome to the forum. We're gonna have us some fun! You have a long grow season so it's not too late if you want to get some seedlings going.

Yup,I was thinking about that length of season. That may be my saving grace, with the drought condition the wind is blasting more dirt/sand than usual, I mean downright dreadful days are a regular thing in the spring.so starting a little late indoors might be the way to roll.

DGBAMA

The hardest thing about liking "whole leaf" its realizing that it is not about duplicating your favorite brand, but rather about finding something good. Habits tell us that different is bad, which could not be further from the truth.

Enjoy your blending! :)

DonH

Welcome, BKtx. Depending on how strong a smoke you like, you might also want take a look at Don's "American Old-Style Bold" blend.
Yes that's another great blend. If you like Burley and Maryland but want them tamed a bit, I'd recommend that blend.

leverhead

Welcome! Growing tobacco out there might be a challenge, wind and (lack of) water will make it harder. Make a go of it, they grow it damn near everywhere else.

I'm not a big fan of Burley's either, but I do like the Maryland and some Dark air-cured in my cigarettes. Try Don's blends, find one like, you can work on your own later. For cigarettes, a shredder is a good investment! As dry as your air is, you'll want to get it done before the tobacco drys out too much.

indianjoe

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. Tobacco can grow just about anywhere with moderate effort, but wholeleaftobacco.com has plenty of quality tobacco to tie you over til then.

BarG

Founding Member
Welcome, Tobacco ought to do fine in Lubbock. Even if you cant grow right away its worth sticking with the whole leaf.

BKtx

Welcome, Tobacco ought to do fine in Lubbock. Even if you cant grow right away its worth sticking with the whole leaf.

Yup,I thought it probably would, my only concern is, I'm usually in the Lbk only on weekends. I figure the young plants will need watering more than that. I'm Moving closer to make the plunge. Any recommendations on types? Besides the Virginias.

BarG

Founding Member
I mix several together.
Bursa
yellow twist bud
burley
maryland 609
perique
southern beauty [virginia]
virginia bright leaf
ottoman
turkish ismir
big gem
virginia gold
samsun

Most can be smoked alone or mixed to taste. BigBonner sells the transplants ready to grow in the ground if you have a plot to grow.He usually posts a list of what he will have available and prices. No one has ever been dissapointed in his seedlings.

Status
Not open for further replies.