Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Shirey

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I only have a little Shirey from last year. My sprouts didn't make it (poor germination from old seeds and insect attack) except for one straggler which I planted late. It never got very big, so I only ended up with about an ounce cured. I just tested some pure in a stuffed tube. I really like it. Dark, rich flavor but much smoother than One Sucker. Definitely a keeper! It would be great in a pipe blend but also is excellent for cigarettes.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I like Don's Dark Air in my cigarette blends (about 10%). I'm growing several Dark air, dark fire, dark fire/air and two dark sun this year for seed grow outs. I want to settle on one for my personal grows. I'm really looking forward to trying the two dark sun varieties after sun curing and Shirey was another of the darks that I'm interested in.

holyRYO

Did not find anything in grin on Shirley. Dark Air? Kentucky? Sun cured Virginia? (Sun cured Virginia's don't get any attention, seems like they are falling by the wayside commercially, like Maryland growers converting to Burley production, too bad, they sound interesting.)

Rich and smooth you say, thanks for that, sounds encouraging.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Did not find anything in grin on Shirley. Dark Air? Kentucky? Sun cured Virginia? (Sun cured Virginia's don't get any attention, seems like they are falling by the wayside commercially, like Maryland growers converting to Burley production, too bad, they sound interesting.)

Rich and smooth you say, thanks for that, sounds encouraging.

I can't find it on GRIN either, but Sky has a little info on his seed site: http://nwtseeds.com/shirey.htm

The Nicotiana Project seed site just listed it as a Dark.

jekylnz

Suncured anything Seems to retain the more sweetness .still waiting to try some shirey..I've only smoked a few m.l and they're pretty mild so far. .I like my cigs strong. .so it sounds like a good addition..have you not got any seed knucks/Don?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Suncured anything Seems to retain the more sweetness .still waiting to try some shirey..I've only smoked a few m.l and they're pretty mild so far. .I like my cigs strong. .so it sounds like a good addition..have you not got any seed knucks/Don?

It's on my grow list this year, I'll need to check my stash and see how many seed I have left over. If I got them from Sky there should be plenty, he sends around 300 seed instead of the usual 100.

Dean

Todd I sent you some but not sure if you recieved that package. I somehow lost 3 in the post over the past couple of months If not I'll get some more to you this week. I have been using the shirey up to 30% in my cigs gives a good kick if you like them stronger.

jekylnz

I have some growing this year..I was just wondering if you guys needed any... I have abit..but Wall sounds covered. .the offers there if Don needs some more. ..I'm hoping to get more seed back from these ones I have growing. ...but they were planted late like yours Dean.(nov.).so I'm not too sure how much seed I'll get back from them...springheal said hes having a few issues with pods producing seed on his ones that he has that were planted around the same time

springheal

I have some growing this year..I was just wondering if you guys needed any... I have abit..but Wall sounds covered. .the offers there if Don needs some more. ..I'm hoping to get more seed back from these ones I have growing. ...but they were planted late like yours Dean.(nov.).so I'm not too sure how much seed I'll get back from them...springheal said hes having a few issues with pods producing seed on his ones that he has that were planted around the same time

It's the cherry red 401 that doesn't want to bud well (vigorous grower but nearly budless). I have more cherry red yet to flower though. We are covered well down here for the shirey though as my shirey is budding beautifully with good size buds to. So we will have a good supply of shirey seed for us down under growers.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I find some information about SHIREY LS, question is if the one we call Shirey maybe is Shirey LS..

ChinaVoodoo

Categorized as a Dark Virginia, it brings up the question, can you flue cure it? I want to focus on flue curing next year and having a bunch of air cured varieties will complicate things. But this tobacco interests me and was on my short list before I decided to focus on flue curing.

ChinaVoodoo

Categorized as a Dark Virginia, it brings up the question, can you flue cure it? I want to focus on flue curing next year and having a bunch of air cured varieties will complicate things. But this tobacco interests me and was on my short list before I decided to focus on flue curing.

I was disappointed that I didn't get an answer on this question, so i thought I would throw it out there once more.

Furthermore, what about Goose Creek Red and Stag Horn? Are they similar?

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I was disappointed that I didn't get an answer on this question, so i thought I would throw it out there once more.

Furthermore, what about Goose Creek Red and Stag Horn? Are they similar?
I haven't grown Stag Horn but can tell you that Shirey was grate as flue-cured.
My Goose creek Red was growing whit lighter green leaf's than Shirey. And cured to a brown/red tobacco and Shirey more dark tobacco. Goose creek Red was also wider than Shirey

Alpine

Of course it CAN be flue cured, but the real question is: does it have the high level of sugars that gives FC tobaccos their sweet/sour taste? I'm sure some members of the forum have tried to FC burley, and the product is curious for sure but, IIRC, they've ended with something very similar to... air cured burley not aged enough. Since i intend to grow Shirey next season (and build a FC chamber!!!) this is intriguing for me too...
If Shirey is a dark air, it doesn't have high level of sugars, but if it is a "Virginia"... It's a whole new ball game! Maybe Jessica is willing to help?

Pier

ProfessorPangloss

Amateur Kentuckian
I'm bumping this thread (March 2017) because I'm about to order some Shirey and I figure if anyone has anything to report from their past grows and cures, this would be the place. Looks like it can be air cured or flue cured - but given the taxonomic confusion between GRIN and NWT Seeds, it'd be worth hearing from people who took it in either direction.

greenmonster714

I too am growing some Shirey this year. That is if it germinates lol. I went with a few dark varieties hoping they do well blending pipe tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.