Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Candela Wrapper

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I've received several inquiries on this wrapper recently, so I figured I should try to understand more about it. I found this description of the process to be enlightening.

From
To make candela, the barn has to be properly prepped. The walls of the wooden barn are wallpapered with cardboard or paper to seal the cracks. The barn is loaded with freshly harvested tobacco, and the vents at the bottom of the barn are opened, encouraging air to flow out of the roof vent (known as a doghouse), which is always open. The propane heaters or charcoal fires are lit, and the heat slowly rises, taking the moisture out of the leaves. "The objective is to get air flowing through the tobacco, up and out of the doghouse," says Gustavo Cura, the operations administrator for Oliva Tobacco Co. in Tampa, which grows candela in Ecuador and Honduras. "The heat has to start slowly."

Within two hours, the heat will be at about 90 degrees, and by hour No. 3, it will rise to 100. "Always gradually increasing the heat," says Cura. After 40 to 48 hours, the tobacco has wilted. Then, it's time to unleash hell.

The leaf is dry at this point, save for the stem, which is a stubborn beast. The stem takes much more coercing to dry out than the rest of the plant. The farmers shut the bottom vents in the barn and crank the heat to 165 -- Cura remembers losing control a few times and watching the temperature rage to 175 -- to blast the remaining moisture from the stem. This final step lasts for about one day, and bakes the tobacco as dry as a potato chip.

"It's hot as blazes in there," says Cura. "It's like being in Arizona."

Reach up and touch the leaves in a normal tobacco barn and they feel like gummy, cool handkerchiefs. Do that in a candela barn (assuming you don't drop from the Death Valley conditions) and you'll be greeted with two eyefuls of shredded tobacco.

After 60 to 72 hours total in the barn, the chlorophyll has been locked in the leaf and the tobacco is done heating, but needs to be rehumidified so it can be safely removed from the barn.

Workers open the barn's vent doors and windows (unless it's windy), allowing the nighttime dew to make the crispy leaves moist again; if the climate is too dry, they bring in a steamer. Then, the leaves are taken down, sorted and graded, and put into boxes, ready for storage or for rolling. The fire curing eliminates the need for fermentation and aging, cutting months and even years off the typical process.

Quirks exist. Sunlight will make the leaf lighter; heat will darken the color. Candela wrapper can't be stored in normal tobacco warehouses; instead it's kept refrigerated. Water can stain it, so a roller has to know what he's doing in order to make a candela cigar by hand.

Because it's the process that makes candela, rather than the seed or country of origin, candela wrappers are grown in a host of countries. "You want tobacco that's been either shade-grown, or grown [in a place like] Ecuador, where there's no sunlight," says Perez-Carrillo.

Candela is, or has been, grown in Connecticut, Cuba, Ecuador, Florida, and Nicaragua, and for more than two decades it was the only type of wrapper tobacco grown in the Dominican Republic. Not all the leaves of a plant make good candela. "The tobacco up top of the candela turns a dark, dark green in the curing, and it's not what they're looking for," says John Oliva Sr., who runs Oliva Tobacco. "John Deere green, that's what they call it, as opposed to a 7-Up bottle green. You only have three colors in candela: yellowish green, a dark green and a green green."

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It seems to me that if a Flue Cured variety was grown under shade, it can be used to make a Candela wrapper, the sugar might assist in balancing the chlorophyll. The trick would be to harvest the leaf at maturity and not allow it to become ripe with pronounced secondary veins.

Matty

Here's some shade grown, air cured Canadian Virginia I grew last year. The leaves were near white when I picked them. I also have some Smoking Virginia done the same way but upon curing it ended up a med. light brown. The leaves are extremely thin and pale.

Attachments

• 2014-03-18 11.20.44.jpg
    2014-03-18 11.20.44.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 2014-03-18 11.20.01.jpg
    2014-03-18 11.20.01.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 96

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The Oliva family certainly knows cigar leaf. However, the description given by Gustavo Cura is a little wobbly, and missing crucial detail--not surprising for a proprietary process.

Candela is made by a flue-cure process, rather than a fire-cure process (note the use of propane heaters). What fixes the chlorophyll in a candela flue-curing process is that the heat must rise above 105ºF (maybe up to 115ºF) before the leaf has time to yellow. Since yellowing is a living process, the higher heat simply kills the leaf before it yellows. The remainder of the regimen is identical to routine flue-curing.

Sun-grown leaf will be thicker, but can still be used for candela. I would be inclined to believe that it should be made only from a cigar variety. I've actually made candela from a flue-cure variety, and it just doesn't taste right (or, more objectively, it doesn't taste like commercial candela).

From a commercial standpoint, you need flue-curing equipment in a location that can shade-grow cigar wrapper leaf. Some of our members who have constructed generously sized flue-curing chambers could give this a try.

Bob

jekylnz

How do these candela wrappers taste? Is there a significant difference in taste or aroma other than the colour?

I know the ones I have accidently made don't taste to my liking. Grassy shit..I don't know how the would make commercial one's taste any better. .it sounds like it was originally someones buggered up cure..turned into a gimmick to still sell tge shitty ruined leaf.hahaa

DGBAMA

I know the ones I have accidently made don't taste to my liking. Grassy shit..I don't know how the would make commercial one's taste any better. .it sounds like it was originally someones buggered up cure..turned into a gimmick to still sell tge shitty ruined leaf.hahaa
Perique did not originate on purpose either. Lol.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Candela wrapped cigars were the biggest selling cigars through the 60's
If you watch old TV shows/movies, take note of any cigar that the actor is smoking. Chances are high that it has a green tint to it. It might be a little hard to tell watching a black and white show though. Cigars go through fads. Back around the 1900's wrappers with white specks were all the rage.

I made candella wrappers once and have to agree- they tasted kind of like grass.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
ulc1.jpg

JR Ultimate Corona in candela. http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=ULC1/JR-ULTIMATE-CORONA.html

If you live in the US or Canada (just about the only places that sell commercial candela-wrapped cigars), buy a pack of Antonio y Cleopatra (A&C) Grenadiers with green wrappers, or any other cheap brand of green cigars, from a supermarket or drug store. (There are better brands, such as the JR Ultimate Corona.) That will allow you to taste the wrapper, before expending all the effort to make candela.

Many years ago, a friend traveling through Canada brought me a gift of a box of candela-wrapped Cuban Hoyo de Monterrey coronas. The taste of their candela wrappers was really no different from that of the green Grenadiers. The filler taste and aroma, of course, were different.

Candela can be thought of as a biologic cigar holder. Instead of a plastic holder, you get a "sanitary" chlorophyll-tasting cover that separates your lips from the nasty taste of actual tobacco. I place it in the same category as sipping coffee or wine through a drinking straw.

As for shade growing, about 40% shade is typical. Agribon-AG15 is more or less a 10-15% shade. So 2 or 3 layers of it, or a single layer of 30-40% shade fabric will do the trick.

I believe the market for candela wrapper is fairly limited. Many Americans from my father's generation (now in their late 80s) still smoke green cigars.

Bob

Ashauler

Founding Member
Illusione and La Flor Dominicana make some very nice candela wrapped cigars as well. A bit more expensive the the grenadiers or JR ult's.
I've never developed a "taste" for any of the candela's I've had.

jekylnz

ulc1.jpg

JR Ultimate Corona in candela. http://www.jrcigars.com/jr/index.cfm/hurl/evt=itemDetail/itemcode=ULC1/JR-ULTIMATE-CORONA.html

Candela can be thought of as a biologic cigar holder. Instead of a plastic holder, you get a "sanitary" chlorophyll-tasting cover that separates your lips from the nasty taste of actual tobacco. I place it in the same category as sipping coffee or wine through a drinking straw.

Bob

Im not really in a position to judge a candela wrapper done right commercially having never tried one..I also like the way you describe it as a barrier between the tobacco taste. .for those who don't like it. .odd for someone that smokes cigars not to like the tastes. .but I know what you mean. .and I hadn't thought of it like that....basically another natural form of cigar/cigarette paper.and like we all know the wrapper isn't usually supposed to be a big part of the overall taste. .just the cosmetic finish.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
...like we all know the wrapper isn't usually supposed to be a big part of the overall taste. .just the cosmetic finish.
I disagree. I would say that the wrapper is all that you taste prior to lighting the cigar, and contributes a significant part of what you taste as you smoke it. I agree that it contributes less to the aroma, although that depends on the ring gauge of the cigar--the narrower the cigar, the greater the contribution of the wrapper to the aroma.

A pipe can be seen in the same light. Most pipe tobacco blends don't taste very nice if the unlit tobacco is placed on your tongue. A candela wrapper makes the cigar experience more like smoking a pipe with a squishy bit.

Bob